Radio or what?

socal78

I still use a Walkman like it's 1995. I feel kind of silly confessing this... maybe because my super techy geek husband makes fun of me for it. There is nothing fancy about it... which happens to be exactly why I like it. It's about 15 years old. I notice nobody else has one when I go to the gym. Are people listening to radio on their phones or Ipods these days or just not listening to the radio at all? For what it's worth, I do have an Ipod thingy. I do use it to listen to tracks every day at home but can not figure out the radio tuner easily at all. In fact. I find the Ipod not very user friendly. I kind of hate it. I don't know how to put music on it or do anything except press Play pretty much. Forget about playing streaming music on that or my Android. That is beyond me. So. Who is listening to FM???

SoCal78 said:
I still use a Walkman like it's 1995. I feel kind of silly confessing this... maybe because my super techy geek husband makes fun of me for it. There is nothing fancy about it... which happens to be exactly why I like it. It's about 15 years old. I notice nobody else has one when I go to the gym. Are people listening to radio on their phones or Ipods these days or just not listening to the radio at all? For what it's worth, I do have an Ipod thingy. I do use it to listen to tracks every day at home but can not figure out the radio tuner easily at all. In fact. I find the Ipod not very user friendly. I kind of hate it. I don't know how to put music on it or do anything except press Play pretty much. Forget about playing streaming music on that or my Android. That is beyond me. So. Who is listening to FM???

The only time I listen to the radio is in my car. Even then it competes with my ipod and Sirius satellite stations.

As for the gym, I usually go without music--those headphones feel uncomfortable because I bounce up and down during my cardio sessions. I also agree that the iPod/iPhones can be complicated but more importantly--time wasters.  I love watching people on the tread mill with their iPods. They spend a good 5 minutes fussing with their device and head phones. I on the other hand immediately start running. On the rare occasion I do use gym music, it would be my iphone/ipod downloaded songs--not FM radio.

Streaming radio is pretty easy to do. Just download it from the app store. Many are free but are supported by ads. Here is a recent review from PC Magazine:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380776,00.asp

I listen to the radio in the car.  Mainly XM since I have a lifetime subscription from before the merger.  But if sportsradio is talking about golf or baseball and I don't like the song on XM.  I do put it on FM.  I just started doing this for the first time in about 5 five years. When did STAR 98.7 become an alt rock station? I love it.

As for at the gym or out and about, I can't listen to FM radio on my phone or ipod.  It just cuts in and out too frequently.  I usually just use my ipod nano since music drains the phone battery way too quickly.  I usually just have it on shuffle through my whole catalog (only about 5 GB) unless I got a new cd or something I have been digging lately.  I also sometimes listen to podcasts so I can catch up on some things.

The Iheartradio app is pretty cool but it just isn't reliable.  I am not sure if this is maybe my phone or what.  I'm on Droid 3G, so maybe Iheartradio is better on 4G?  But that also can drain batter quickly.

Thanks IACrenter, I will check out those other things.  I have used pandora but felt that drained the battery too quickly.  I guess I just get bugged too much when the streaming cuts out and I am just waiting for it to start again (once again, may just be because I'm on 3G?)

AM for sports and talk.

FM for music.

Pandora or IHeart for streaming... Pandora for comedy... IHeart for commercial-free stuff.

Actually brought out my old Sony discman to the gym a few years ago when I make my annual trip to the gym..  I was pretty embarrassed with my "no skip" cd player while everyone else use the arm band/iPod devices.. 

ps9 said:
Actually brought out my old Sony discman to the gym a few years ago when I make my annual trip to the gym..  I was pretty embarrassed with my "no skip" cd player while everyone else use the arm band/iPod devices.. 

Don't blame you at all. CDs are so much easier. I just bought a CD player for the house and still buying CDs. Sometimes you don't want to mess around with other devices when you can just put the disc in and GO! Plus it's so easy to use a CD player at the gym when you can just plop it on the ledge of a treadmill. It's just as easy to have with you as anything lighter weight.

I should add that I only listen to radio in the car too... one of my requirements for a phone was that it had to have an FM tuner (Nokias used to do this back in the day... as did HTC smartphones later on) but now with Pandora and IHeart or stations having apps... the need for it went away.

My last minivan had a cassette player... my current one has a CD player... neither got/get any use.

irvinehomeowner said:
My last minivan had a cassette player... my current one has a CD player... neither got/get any use.

Come on, IHO. Got to make use of that CD player in the kid wagon. How else are they going to learn their Veggie Tales songs or "Bananaphone"? I highly recommend this CD. Buy it, IHO!:
Sing Along with Putumayo a.k.a. Children's music that won't make you homicidal

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydNZGSXwQg&feature=related[/youtube]

Warning: don't play the album too often or else you'll be singing The Bellybutton Song under your breath on the treadmill and getting weird looks from others. Not that I would know anything about that.

Those songs are easily found via iTunes or [YourMusicService].

And I can always YouTube it and the kids can view the video AND sing along (since I can BlueTooth the audio wirelessly)... can't do that with a CD.

I just carry my Droid to the gym- Pandora if I want music, Kindle if I want a book. Can't carry an ipod, a book, a phone and keys.. would be lovely if I can program my car to my Droid/phone too..

Cubic Zirconia said:
I just carry my Droid to the gym- Pandora if I want music, Kindle if I want a book. Can't carry an ipod, a book, a phone and keys.. would be lovely if I can program my car to my Droid/phone too..

Me: Android, earbuds, Ipod, WalkMan, water, and towel. The "rest" stays in a locker. I'm beginning to doubt the need for the locker.

SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

Me: Android, earbuds, Ipod, WalkMan, water, and towel. The "rest" stays in a locker. I'm beginning to doubt the need for the locker.

Mine is simple.. Droid, earbuds, towel and keys. No locker at all- I leave home dressed for the gym, and wait till I go home to change. I don't hydrate while working out. So, water bottle stays in the car.

What about your driver's license and wallet?
Hairbrush?
Gum?
Red lipstick?

Can't forget money at my gym. They have this clever sign that reads: "No towel, no entrance. No exceptions." Directly next to the sign is a carousel of towels for sale: $4 for small, $8 for large. Being on a machine facing the front door, I can see the people's expression when they realize they don't have a towel. What a trap! I keep one in the car so I never have to fall for that trick.

I tie my hair in a bun, so no brushing involved.. license and wallet (psst..other 'lockable' unit), no gum.
I bought a set of 12 white towels in Costco. Wash every weekend, put six in husband's car, six in mine.

That's cool your husband wants to go with you. I kind of wish mine would just to keep me company but he's not super motivated so that's ok with me. I consider the gym my escape anyway where I can relax "by myself" and listen to FM music with bad reception  ;) so that's fine. It's not like we'd do a lot of talking anyway. Plus, I like my chunky monkey. Would rather he put on some weight. I wish they had a room where you could drop off your man and pick him up when you're done just like they do for the kids. With a window, so I could check in on him. TV, recliners, and snacks for them instead of jungle gym toys. That would be awesome!

We don't go together.. rarely happens! But we are members of the same gym.
He likes to work out. I think the only reason he bounced back to full recovery after surgery was due to his gym habits.

Back