Best times to excercise

socal78

Anyone go to the gym at night? I like to exercise at night because it's convenient however it causes insomnia for me big-time. I can't get into sleepy mode for many hours afterwards. Not good! Maybe I should hit the bottle. Problem solved. Kidding!

Also, does anyone else feel like a loser for going to the gym on a Friday or Saturday night? I'll raise my hand. If you do go, the later the better. All the image-conscious knuckleheads go early to get themselves pumped up right before they hit the clubs.

Morning workout is supposed to be best as your body still burns calories throughout the day.

Like you, any night activity just keeps me up longer as it takes a while for my body to become rested. I think it's age related because when I was younger... playing ball at night didn't seem to affect me as much. But as I got older, whenever we had later night games... it was so hard to sleep. I was okay as long as I stopped by about 8pm.

Always good to get a workout in the morning time, just like what IHO said.. your body will burn extra calories throughout the day. 

I always feel more energetic over the course of the workday when I run or lift in the mornings.

Got to admire some people's determination. I was at the gym until 10 p.m. (and wired until 3 this morning. Not good!!) There was a very out of shape man doing a routine with his trainer. At first they were sparring. The guy looked like he could hardly breathe. Then the trainer attached something to his waist and had the big guy run in the opposite direction. Sort of on a leash. The guy was SO determined! He was running hard... like... Go, Forest! Go! A few guys passed by the window and appeared to be laughing. Not cool. It made me bit teary how hard this guy was trying at all hours of the night. He could be in bed sleeping or on the couch eating but he was going at it like his life depended on it. I think going at night reduces the chances of being gawked at, which is good for people who want to feel more comfortable.

ps9 said:
He probably had a life changer and survived.  Living is the best motivation, you won't treasure it until you almost lose it.

Amen. That's the truth.

SoCal78 said:
Got to admire some people's determination. I was at the gym until 10 p.m. (and wired until 3 this morning. Not good!!) There was a very out of shape man doing a routine with his trainer. At first they were sparring. The guy looked like he could hardly breathe. Then the trainer attached something to his waist and had the big guy run in the opposite direction.
Were you stalking me again? :)

9629.jpg

I like going early in the morning, or around 7pm- I don't look anything like the people working out at those hours, but hey, motivates me to stay for thirty minutes :) I do get me a glass of red after the evening work out though..

If I can share, lost 12 lbs in past 2 months :) I went to the gym after six years, around 30 lbs heavier. More than my body, I missed the energy level.

Good job, CZ.

That reminds me. We don't have to wait until The September of Our Lives to meet up. Let me know if you ever want to go sweat with me at night. We can get in a lot of extra time that way.

In my single days, I used to work out around midnight.  I hated the look-at-me crowds.  I was actually there to work out.  When some yolked up clown would sit at one of the free weight stations forever, it would kill my routine.

The skinny girls at the leg press machine, and the chatting old ladies at the hip machines.. What would it take to just work out and leave! Never went to the gym after 8pm or before 5am. Must be nice to pick any machine/ spot you like and work out like no one 's watching :)

Cubic Zirconia said:
The skinny girls at the leg press machine, and the chatting old ladies at the hip machines.. What would it take to just work out and leave! Never went to the gym after 8pm or before 5am. Must be nice to pick any machine/ spot you like and work out like no one 's watching :)

How about the women who go in full makeup "just to do abs"?
The creepy old men who vertically scan you with their eyes.

LOL @ SoCal- I am a very cold person. Not many 'hitters' except for the white men in 50s who think they wear their underwear out :)

SoCal78 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

How about the women who go in full makeup "just to do abs"?
The creepy old men who vertically scan you with their eyes.

Yes! Saw one resting her essentials on the ab machine's rest, and crunching away. All the people on the cardio machines hit their peak heart beat sighing collectively. She knew what she was doing :)

Necro'ed this thread

One of my goals with getting my own place was to be able to work out whenever I wanted to, so I have everything I need at home. I will workout with weights or yoga anywhere from 10PM - 1AM, but I do my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. And man I am NOT a morning person so that says alot. But being able to roll out of bed and get right to it is alot of fun.

I like bodyrock.tv for at home workouts, for those of you tired of the gym, there's a ton of good workouts you can do there at home, and most of them don't even need equipment. On top of that they are all under 20 minutes.

I got my pullup and squat rack from a Crossfit manufacturer up in Cudahy (LA County). Nice crew up there, it's not cheap but super high quality equipment and it's built right here in SoCal.

Back