• Friend/Relative/Realtor

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Donald Bren referred you (kidding)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

Seems like we got a few more posters (not just members who lurk) recently and I always wonder how people find TalkIrvine.

As many know, I came here from the IHB Forums, which I found doing a search on the old Prado development in Portola Springs.

What's your story?

Back in the days of IHB, IrvineRenter profiled one of my listings and my friend let me know about the blog.

From there I was directed to the IHB forums, and was greeted with a trial by fire from online personas including EvalSeraphim, Trooper, Nude, Graphrix, IPOplaya, bkshopper, IrvineSingleMom, awgee, AZdavide, Larry, and others.

As the forums were closed when IHB decided to get into the RE business for themselves, I moved over here to still answer questions, earn business, and enjoy some comraderie.

I do read most (if not all) of the posts that go up, and appreciate the people that share the info. I hope to remain as a good info source for people that are looking for it, and hope that my perspective from having many years of experience in RE transactions can offset some of the negatives that are out there.

Thanks for letting me stick around.

-IR2

during the bubble days, i read a lot of the bubble blogs and i think the first OC specific was OCFlipTrack or something like that....IHB started after and managed to surpass them quickly.  arrived to TI from IHB though i didnt know about TI until a while after it started. 

still cant figure out ocreader so as far as neighborhood forums go, TI is the only forum i participate on

Hey, there's a feature on this site that I'm not sure many know about. If you want to block certain posts from view, for example: advertisements, you can add the member to your Ignore list. This will condense their post to show that one was made but not display all of the text unless you click on an expansion button within the post itself.

Here is how to do it:

Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies / Ignore List. It's self-explanatory from there.

With the buddy list, I haven't quite figured out all the advantages. I tested it and see it puts the member's name in bold. I know it does other things, too.

Anyway, give it a try if you want to filter it down for easy reading.

Has anyone tried these features yet?

--------------------------------

As for how I found TI: other  :)

Transplant from old IHB forums to TI. I don't exactly recall how I found the IHB--maybe an article in the OC Register or some google search about Irvine RE. In either case I learned tremendously from Irvine Renter's blog posts and other forum members.

I'm definitely one of TI's newest members.  I knew about TI very peripherally, never really took a close look at this online community, until I googled Lambert Ranch.  Signed up and started participating first in the LR thread and then to other real estate threads and now I like reading and participating in all the threads if I have anything relevant to post.

I'd like to make some comments based on my short time here.  These comments are not meant to offend or insult anyone in particular, but just my observations.  I'm active in a number of different forums and have been for years.  Everything from cars to photography to wine to you name it.  I've been around the block on bulletin boards so I understand the dynamics of online forums and how each forum has its pluses and minuses.  I've met great people from other boards who I consider dear friends and all because of a shared interest or hobby.

The real estate subforum gets the most views and posts, so I'm going to venture to say that most newcomers find TI through some type of RE search.  Like previous posts said, old-timers seem to have migrated over from IHB.  All of you have history together and understand each other's online personality, and it seems actually hang out on occasion.  However, intonation, tone and sarcasm is sometimes difficult to project online especially to a newcomer to this site or a newcomer to online forums in general.  People might take posts seriously or be intimidated to give their opinion.  I feel some posts in the RE forum cross the line and enter into personal insults.  I understand that people have different perspectives on real estate, but to continually call out different views as wrong, ignorant or plain retarded does not make for a friendly environment.  Let me rephrase the last comment, I'm all for giving your opinion (some more educated than others), but it's different when someone says "Go ahead and buy that piece of shit and lose 150k in 2 years" vs "I understand you might like that property, but based on my research of x, y, & z, you might reconsider".  I dunno, maybe I'm old-fashioned and think ppl should be more polite to each other, even online.  We post things online we would never say to someone face to face.  It's the anonymous nature of bulletin boards, but that doesn't mean there can't be a modicum of decorum online.  I have a thick skin, and I can give as well as take, but some people might be more sensitive.  And in the end, who really gives a shit about what some person you don't know posts about a topic online.  But, if this forum is to become a vibrant community of Irvine residents, I think we need to move beyond "You're a friggin idiot who knows nothing about real estate and my community is better than yours" type comments.

Just my 2 cents and probably not even worth that much.

I agree with OCgasman... but I also believe in letting people say what they want as long as they don't start insulting someone directly or personally.

It's the differing opinions that creates discussion.

I like that there are more active posters and I do hope that even with us "old timers", they aren't afraid to ask for opinions, post their own opinions, or just share whatever is on their mind. While the focus of this site is real estate... I do think there is value in some of the peripheral topics (like the credit card one).

irvinehomeowner said:
It's the differing opinions that creates discussion.
I agree 100%.  In order to have meaningful discussion, there needs to constructive discourse.  I wouldn't want this board (or any board for that matter) to be a bunch of lemmings following the strongest opinion.  It's very obvious to me that there are a fair number of active members that have a strong backround in real estate, and specifically Irvine real estate.  I came here to learn and discuss.  Most newcomers to this board don't have that fund of knowledge.  But sometimes I sense an air of superiority in some of the posts.  Posts that state "that neighborhood sucks" or "I'm right and you're wrong cuz you don't know anything" don't add to a thread and make people defensive, and most likely chase them away.  If I get that feeling reading the posts, then I guarantee you, so do lurkers.

Mac vs Windows, Nikon vs Canon, BMW vs Audi, Burgundy vs Bordeaux...all of these topics can generate heated arguments...but here's the thing, there's no right and wrong answer.  It's still fun to discuss, and by all means let's throw in some jokes, but not at the expense of other members, especially the new ones.  (BTW, For me it's Mac, Nikon, BMW and Burgundy).  I'd like to stick around and stay active in this online community because there's value here, but I could also see myself getting tired of the rhetoric. And you're right IHO, the other subforums offer a ton of good information also.  Cheers, everyone.

Back