24 HR Fitness or LA Fitness??

kalbi, stay on top of renewing that each year.  I forgot one year until several months later and it was too late to renew and my membership was cancelled.  I think they let you slide for a few months, but after that, it is too late.

I had to get a brand new membership (which I did from Costco earlier this year - 2 years Any Sport $349).

LA fitness, pay $10 since my membership is on hold. The best gym ive belonged to was spectrum in el segundo, that was $100/month but the free weights were always available. The manhattan beach mommies were good to look at as well. Unfortunately i dont work out enough to justify joining something similar like equinox down here. I would recommend those high end places if you like using free weights since there arent many people using them. Plus im guessing the eye candy is better in general at the high end places.

zovall said:
I had to get a brand new membership (which I did from Costco earlier this year - 2 years Any Sport $349).

I was just looking at that deal.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11753116&Ne=5000001%204000000&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&No=0&N=4294908218&Mo=0

I hear the price fluctuates on it. One friend said she bought it at $300 and I believe her husband got it under $300 ($250, I believe?) during the "off season". At first I was thinking of waiting to see if the price comes down but then thought again. The clock starts once it's redeemed at the gym or activate online. A person could always buy it, hang on to it, and if the price drops just return it then re-purchase it.

I was just speaking to a friend this morning about L.A. Fitness vs. 24 Hour. She is a gym rat. She says 24 is always crowded and with group classes you have to take a number. She does L.A. due to everything being freed up. I'm going on a tour of a 24 location today to see what's up.

Foothill Ranch location?  That one can get pretty crowded depending on the time.  My guess is you would be into the spin classes or the group X classes too.

And I haven't really seen that Costco pass vary.  It was 300 for a long time, but since like a year ago  it was 320.  Then recently it went to 350.  I don't think that price is going to go down.

I had the Costco deal, but then my 2 years were up and luckily the Supersport opened right when I was part of http://www.mccardleclassaction.com/ so I could join up under my old rate

24 HR Fitness 2 year membership at Costco. Husband bought it below 300, and I bought it below 350.
I was with LA Fitness before and loved spinning! That's the only thing I miss..

26inirvine said:
Foothill Ranch location?  That one can get pretty crowded depending on the time.  My guess is you would be into the spin classes or the group X classes too.

Maybe.  ;) Do you & your fiance go there? I just got back from the tour. It's a lot smaller than I thought. Seems a bit claustrophobic. For example the cycling room. There are 27 bikes crammed together in a small area. How is it on weekends? The sales girl says that's some of their least busy times however my friend that goes there on weekend mornings says that's a pack of lies. She says it's so busy that there have been waits for the cardio machines, which sounds nuts. She also said even if you are lucky enough to get a spot in their class session, they often don't have enough weights to go around so people fight over them. Wow. However, I hear that weekdays during regular business hours it's nowhere near as crowded. I went at noon today and it was fine.

zovall said:
kalbi, stay on top of renewing that each year.  I forgot one year until several months later and it was too late to renew and my membership was cancelled.  I think they let you slide for a few months, but after that, it is too late.

Exactly what happened to us.  We prepaid for 3 years and had the option to continue membership at $50/yr for life... if we kept up with it.  We moved around the time the bill was due.  We thought it was paid and realized it wasn't a few months after.  We had been paying the annual fee even though we hadn't gone due to kids.  They said nope.. sorry.. out of luck.  Not going to join with them again.  No loyalty to long time members.

SoCal78 said:
26inirvine said:

Maybe.  ;) Do you & your fiance go there? I just got back from the tour. It's a lot smaller than I thought. Seems a bit claustrophobic. For example the cycling room. There are 27 bikes crammed together in a small area. How is it on weekends? The sales girl says that's some of their least busy times however my friend that goes there on weekend mornings says that's a pack of lies. She says it's so busy that there have been waits for the cardio machines, which sounds nuts. She also said even if you are lucky enough to get a spot in their class session, they often don't have enough weights to go around so people fight over them. Wow. However, I hear that weekdays during regular business hours it's nowhere near as crowded. I went at noon today and it was fine.

We go there from time to time, but usually we don't cause A-she doesn't like the classes there.  B-location isn't close to where we usually are.

For example- over the long weekend, between the two of us went to the RSM one, the one by Wild Rivers, the culver/irvine center dr. one, and the marketplace one.  But yeah, no FHR.  And yeah, I have never done a cycling class, but that room looks crazy small.

24 Hour Fitness.  I have the all club membership, including Ultra Sports such as the one at Lakeshore Towers.  I pay $250/year.  They are in most every location to which I travel for work.

Now, I have to explain.  Three years ago, they were running a special, three years for $1100 including four training sessions and $250/year thereafter.    I had been paying $67/month before that for the same thing so I went for it.  They don't offer it anymore.

Keep an eye out for new clubs that are opening.  You may get a better deal if you buy an all-sport or all-supersport membership at that location.  24 Hour Fitness has its share of issues, but the price was so low I decided to just keep renewing.

Anyone know how much the LA Fitness in Woodbridge is?

Currently, I pay $100/year for 24 Hr Fitness. I also belong to UFC Corona for $200/year, prepaid thru Dec 2013. With a move soon to Lambert Ranch, I'll need a new gym. I really can't justify joining yet a third gym unless its dirt cheap, but LA Fitness really would be closest.

I'm going to get a gym membership, but I truly do not know which gym better benefits. Tomorrow I'm going to go ask for information. For now, I would like some opinions

Depends on location.  24 hour Super sports are nice and clean.  It drops off a lot after that.

LA fitness is nice.. but not as flexible on hours if you need that.

Back