Author Topic: Where to live in Irvine?  (Read 33419 times)

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 531
  • -Received: 985
Re: Where to live in Irvine?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Do you need a LOUIE VUITTON to go with this Chinese Porch?
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline rkp

• Thanks
  • -Given: 310
  • -Received: 295
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
homer - your image is mucked up

you guys are way too cynical.  there are plenty of areas in irvine where kids are playing on their streets and you can see tons of chalk paintings around.  while no porches with benches, many people leave their garages open.  granted i see this more in west irvine buts irvine and it does exist

we have many friends in south county and just like irvine, different neighborhoods attract different folks.  wagon wheel is full of young families and streets are full of kiddies.  on the other hand, we have friends in pacific hills and its much less activity with most people having doors and garages closed. 

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Cubic Zirconia

• Thanks
  • -Given: 749
  • -Received: 298
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
Psst.. neighbors say hello..it's nothing like they describe :-)
I framed the pre-qualification letter and posted it at a conspicuous place under adequate lighting so that a guest with normal vision can see it and express substantial jealousy.

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 377
  • -Received: 322
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
that's what motor courts are for - block parties...etc

you guys are way too cynical.  there are plenty of areas in irvine where kids are playing on their streets and you can see tons of chalk paintings around.  while no porches with benches, many people leave their garages open.  granted i see this more in west irvine buts irvine and it does exist

we have many friends in south county and just like irvine, different neighborhoods attract different folks.  wagon wheel is full of young families and streets are full of kiddies.  on the other hand, we have friends in pacific hills and its much less activity with most people having doors and garages closed.
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline Cubic Zirconia

• Thanks
  • -Given: 749
  • -Received: 298
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Yes, motor courts provide proximity to neighbors, making it easier to say hello and let the children play.
Small yards are easy to maintain- less space for the kids to play means more piano practice.
Phew* Now I can claim my Irvine residency!

that's what motor courts are for - block parties...etc

I framed the pre-qualification letter and posted it at a conspicuous place under adequate lighting so that a guest with normal vision can see it and express substantial jealousy.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2640
  • -Received: 3984
  • 3CWG
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »
IHS likes to think Irvine is anti-social... I think it's just him.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

• Thanks
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
I love social and chat with all of you everyday! Did I post Irvine is anti social here in this thread? I just said there are no real porches.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Let's ask our resident dog walker how many times he was greeted with "Hi".

Irvine homes do not have porches. Young fellow like Homer thought it is a sports car. Kids here don't have the porch experience and neither the adults. We have something similar  like a rolled up garage door where you can see my hoarder shelves and I wave at you from across the street. The front door is actually inside the garage near the front car bumper if you want to come and visit me. On your way in don't topple my Costco stock pile and be careful of the hot oil in my turkey fryer.

Alrighty then.  I'm not talking about a bunch of hoodlums hanging out by their cars. 
What about sitting on front porches with a glass of wine, walking dogs - saying hi to neighbors?  Any of that?

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2725
  • -Received: 1808
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

in irvine, most people dont say hi, in the midwest everyone would say hi, even to a lowly mexican.

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1802
  • -Received: 1477
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »

I don't know if this counts, but I purposely tested the "Hi" theory the other day here in Foothill Ranch on my two hour walk. Yet another red flag that I spend too much time on this forum. I digress. There was a mixture of East Asian, white, and a couple Indian folks out and about this time, probably not too dissimilar from Irvine. (There were also several Hispanic gardeners. I did not include them as sample subjects in this test, just pedestrians.) Each person I made eye contact with and smiled. I gave them a chance to say hi first. Each person except for one either said hi first or responded when I said hello. The one who didn't was an Asian lady talking on her cell phone. One older white guy was a very enthusiastic greeter, above and beyond normal. He will literally chase you down to say hello. I don't think he's what we'd call: "well".

I was expecting to be ignored more. I was pleasantly surprised with lots of friendly people.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:58:39 PM by SoCal78 »

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 377
  • -Received: 322
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
The city does not need to build more affordable housing. El Camino Real, Walnut, Deer Field, College Park, Greentree, old Northwood, Portola Springs...etc alone are enough to meet the quota.

Avoid these areas at all cost
1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

May I ask why?  I thought the poster was looking for an area where there will be a sense of community and where the kids will be able to be kids.  Most of the newer communities in Irvine seem to lack that.  She wanted a place where "where people come out of their homes".  Honestly, for that a better choice would be an apartment community (not near UCI though) or somewhere where there's a large Latino community.
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline traceimage

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 203
  • -Received: 217
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:26 PM »
I love social and chat with all of you everyday! Did I post Irvine is anti social here in this thread? I just said there are no real porches.

"I love social" is totally going to be my new motto. That should be on a t-shirt!

Offline traceimage

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 203
  • -Received: 217
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 11:09:41 PM »
If you want a bunch of kids playing outside, I would suggest Aliso Viejo. It's more affordable than Irvine, and there are lots of young families. We looked at a house there and there were a million jillion kids playing outside together on a Saturday afternoon, people washing cars, friendly joggers waving at passersby...it was idyllic. I think maybe the agent hosting the open house actually hired actors to pretend to be friendly neighbors.

I disagree, though, with the people who say that nobody says hi in Irvine and that everyone is hiding in their house, refusing to talk to anyone. Some people are friendly and chatty, some people are not...just like anywhere else. One of my neighbors once ran to his backyard to get some tangerines off his tree for my son when we passed his house. There are definitely some nice and friendly people living in Irvine!

I myself, however, am very unfriendly. Not only will I not say hi...but I will glare at you until you cross the street. ;)

Offline sega

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »
I live in Irvine and never say "Hi". Well, until now. Hi everyone!

I guess this forum changes people  ;)

• Thanks
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 12:59:19 AM »
I have one that say "I love social media" like Facebook

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Apple New Products by aquabliss
[Today at 02:03:13 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:15:59 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:11:18 AM]

Re: Apple New Products by zovall