Internet

ninja88

I am moving to Irvine and need very fast Internet speed for video conf calls via skype, vpn, etc. the fastest i have found so far is cox comm at 55/5.5mbps...it seems that verizon's fios is not available in Irvine yet. is there anything faster for residential or is Cox Comm is the fastest/cheapest option?

thanks for your help.

If you're going with Cox, you can just sign up for the premiere plan at 25Mbps.  Then just buy a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (Cisco DPC-3010, which you can get at the Cox solutions store or a Motorola one, but you'll need to ask the Cox tech to push the latest firmware out to you with the Moto) and you'll get the same speed as the 50Mbps plan.  I believe the 50Mbps plan is just the 25Mbps with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.  I have the 18Mbps plan, and with the DOCSIS 3.0 modem, my speed test shows 35 to 40Mbps (vs. 12 to 18 with the Cox provided DOCSIS 2.0 modem).

How much is the DOCSIS 3.0 modem and will they take it back if I find that it doesn't up my speed?  I'm on the preferred plan (18mbps) with the blue DOCSIS 2.0 modem.  If going to the D3 will get me better speeds, I'm going out to one of the Cox stores to get one.

I got my Motorola on Amazon for around 89.99.  I think Cox sells the Cisco one for about the same price.  If you're going to buy the Cisco modem online, be sure to buy the DPC-3010, which is Cox approved.  The DPC-3008 is for Comcast networks only right now.  I'm not sure about Cox's return policy, you may want to ask them at the solutions store.

gaogi said:
I got my Motorola on Amazon for around 89.99.  I think Cox sells the Cisco one for about the same price.  If you're going to buy the Cisco modem online, be sure to buy the DPC-3010, which is Cox approved.  The DPC-3008 is for Comcast networks only right now.  I'm not sure about Cox's return policy, you may want to ask them at the solutions store.
I ordered the Cisco cable modem on amazon.  Should use a certain wireless router to get the fastest speed possible?

My biased opinion is to get a Cisco/Linksys router.  My unbiased opinion is that any 802.11n router will be fine.

I generally stay away from modem/router combos to have the flexibility of switching out either device in the future.  If I want to upgrade to a dual band router or the new 802.11ac router, I can do so without having to get a new modem or deal with disabling the router in the combo device.

Back