Friday Boredom - Your Pet Peeves

irvinehomeowner

I think I'm fairly even keeled. Not many things get me upset but there are a few that annoy me a bit, in no specific order:

1. Traffic
I dislike not being able to get somewhere timely just because other people don't know how to drive

2. No parking
It irritates me when places are so crowded you can't find a parking space... and I'm not talking about having to park far away (I don't mind the walk), I'm talking about NO parking such that you have to leave.

3. Bad driving caused by mobile phone usage
I don't mind people having to use their phones in their cars, sometimes it happens (I'll admit to having to look at a text a few times). Where it becomes a pet peeve is when it causes them to also drive like an idiot such as stopped at a green light, swerving into my lane, driving way too slow or not paying attention to whose turn it is to go at a 4-way stop.

4. Bullies
'Nuff said.

5. Slow service in a non-crowded restaurant
Maybe this is why I like buffets... because I can serve myself at my own pace.

What are your pet peeves?

1) People who forget to turn their signals off after switching lanes. 

2) People who go 65 on the fast lane or in the carpool lane when traffic is flowing at 75  :mad:

homer_simpson said:
1) People who forget to turn their signals off after switching lanes. 

2) People who go 65 on the fast lane or in the carpool lane when traffic is flowing at 75  :mad:

Hey that's me! (#2 above),  fastest I go is 70mph, gotta save that gas

When men sit with their legs crossed like a lady.

When I'm stopped at a red light. Look over. See a guy in the next car picking his nose. He looks at me. And continues picking without skipping a beat. I can see you, you know.

Financially irresponsible people. I know a person right now who is abusing the system. She's on unemployment / disability whatever. Has 3 vehicles, 2 of them newer. Just got plastic surgery done. Buys expensive toys for her kid. Says she doesn't "know how" to cook so her family spends a lot of money eating out all the time. Getting ready to file BK. Always crying about how rough she has it.

People who leave flyers on your door / stoop, jiggle your handle, trample your garden, walk in your flower bed and on your grass, leave a big mess of papers everywhere. This is a daily battle between them and I. I was on the phone at 7:30 a.m. yesterday calling every business on the flyers telling them what's up - this is not making me want to hire them. Like the stereotypical old lady who lives down the street, Old Lady SoCal was chasing that flyer-hander-outter boy down the sidewalk in my nightgown, screaming at him and waiving flyers in the air.

Yeah... I don't understand the guy crossing legs thing either... it hurts for me to do it (although that's probably girth related).

As for nose picking in the car... don't you know that guys think those are one way windows? We can see out but you can't see in! That's why you see many people jamming/karaoke'ing to the favorite songs looking like fools.

Since we are on gender specific peeves... how about females who don't dress their age? Older women dressing too young and young girls dressing too old... bah.

Sounds like you can avoid all of these by living in another city especially the bad drivers and parking issues.

irvinehomeowner said:
I think I'm fairly even keeled. Not many things get me upset but there are a few that annoy me a bit, in no specific order:

1. Traffic
I dislike not being able to get somewhere timely just because other people don't know how to drive

2. No parking
It irritates me when places are so crowded you can't find a parking space... and I'm not talking about having to park far away (I don't mind the walk), I'm talking about NO parking such that you have to leave.

3. Bad driving caused by mobile phone usage
I don't mind people having to use their phones in their cars, sometimes it happens (I'll admit to having to look at a text a few times). Where it becomes a pet peeve is when it causes them to also drive like an idiot such as stopped at a green light, swerving into my lane, driving way too slow or not paying attention to whose turn it is to go at a 4-way stop.

4. Bullies
'Nuff said.

5. Slow service in a non-crowded restaurant
Maybe this is why I like buffets... because I can serve myself at my own pace.

What are your pet peeves?

People who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I read somewhere that females are more guilty of this than males... is that true?

1) Parents who will not control their children. Don't get me started.

2) Cell phone use in open areas like check out lines and movie theatres. I had for a while a cell phone jammer just for the purpose of shutting off the offenders phone. Now I simply hold my phone up to my ear (not using it) and start talking LOUDLY ABOUT MY PROSTATE EXAM I JUST HAD.

Did I mention how unruly children are now and their useless parents who cower in fear before them...?

SGIP

Soylent Green Is People said:
1) Parents who will not control their children. Don't get me started.

2) Cell phone use in open areas like check out lines and movie theatres. I had for a while a cell phone jammer just for the purpose of shutting off the offenders phone. Now I simply hold my phone up to my ear (not using it) and start talking LOUDLY ABOUT MY PROSTATE EXAM I JUST HAD.

Did I mention how unruly children are now and their useless parents who cower in fear before them...?

SGIP

I think people are so used to seeing parents get walked on by their kids that I get stares and looks when I grab one of my kids that is acting up and drag them out of the restaurant for a 'discussion' and time to calm down.  Sometimes it makes me feel like people think I am abusing my kids for disciplining them in public due to the looks I get when I come back in.  If they are being goofy or a little annoying to us I don't do that but I will not tolerate out of control behavior from them in public. 

I am guilty of #2 sometimes.    ???

Same here, davenlei.

The other day I was at Ralph's with my 2 boys. The older one and I were joking around with each other. He was being goofy and I was pretending to whack him. I grabbed a bag of bread, swung it, and hit him with it a couple times. I had a (pretend) mean look on my face and he was pretending to be scared. I looked over to see this old lady standing there, staring at us, holding her cell phone like shes's ready to make a call and giving me the evil eye. Heaven forbid I beat my kid with a bag of Sara Lee!! Like that's really going to do some damage - to the bread, maybe! Cuff me up! After that, no more playing. I just have them walk single-file, pushing their little mini carts behind me and we take little dance breaks where we get down to the store music while nobody is looking.

Yup, yup! I go clubbing at the grocery store all the time. Wear the good perfume, nice lipstick, long dangly earrings and everything... 'cause that's my only social life... partying at Ralph's in the soup aisle.

:)

:-\

:'(

are you sure the people you met are named after the car?  i have a few friends named mercedes from asia and they were definitely not named for the car

from wiki: "Mercedes is a girl's name of Spanish origin, referring to a title for the Virgin Mary, "Our Lady of Mercy"."

rkp said:
are you sure the people you met are named after the car?  i have a few friends named mercedes from asia and they were definitely not named for the car

from wiki: "Mercedes is a girl's name of Spanish origin, referring to a title for the Virgin Mary, "Our Lady of Mercy"."

Yes, positive. I'm talking about the ones you know don't have an ethnic connection to it  - they picked it 'cause it's "classy".

May be substituted with:

Lexus
Essence
Divine

Especially if any of those are misspelled.

Lexis or
Stefany

Btw, I'm not just knocking others. I think my own name is kinda trailer-trashy. In the era I was born, white folks were picking names they thought were classy like "Crystal". My name is Amber. Every time you hear that name on TV or movies / books is: the lead bitch, the stripper, etc. Every single time!

SoCal78 said:
Mis-spelled or phonetically spelled names - Mercaydez
Hehe... this is common.

What gets me is when they get irritated if you "mis-spell" their name... uh... I wasn't the one who spelled it differently from the standard way it's supposed to be spelled.

SoCal78 said:
People who give their kids ghetto names:

After luxury brands - Mercedes

Mis-spelled or phonetically spelled names - Mercaydez
+1.  If someone names their kid after a luxury vehicle or a geographical location, that kid is already starting behind the 8-ball and destined for the stripper pole.  Mercedes Dakota <insert any last name> better be a hot actress cuz that name has already typecast you.

My personal pet peeve also revolves around traffic.  I hate ppl that try to bypass the long line of cars that have been patiently waiting to make a turn or get on/off a freeway ramp and cutoff a car at the last minute.

Back