Galaxy S III

irvinehomeowner

Since RC hasn't updated his mobile thread with this, I figured it should have its own thread... Sammy just unveiled its next flagship phone at their Unpacked event, the Galaxy S III.

projectgggdsc01353mat600.jpg

It's 1.4 quad-core, 4.8" 720p HD screen and will be available in the US in June (which could change).

Engadget has a hands-on preview of it:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-preview-hands-on/

While there's no new wow-factor in the way it looks, it should be a screamer in terms of performance.  Although, I'm not sure what you'd do on it to really use the horsepower it's got.

I've kept my Moto Droid V 1 with physical keyboard long enough and have been waiting to trade up. Didn't read if this was going to be on Big Red or limited to ATT/TMobile. Since the IJebus 5 is likely coming out in September it's going to be a tough call to buy now or wait for what's been rumored to be a larger screen Apple product.

My .02c

It will probably be on all carriers like the SII... Sammy has to sell as many as possible.

But I would hold out for the iPhone5 if you like the iOS ecosystem... it's going to be pretty good.

my head is spinning trying to read the news today about the release, while trying to talk to people, demoing our products, and being on my feet all day again...  here is a great wrap-up...
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-wrap

samsung-galaxy-s-iii-67_0.jpg

what in the world, the average Android user would be lucky if they use 60% of all the intended features extensively during the life of the phone; I consider myself, pretty resourceful, and I maybe use only about 50%... there are sooo many thing even on the G-Nex that I've only begun to play around with...

Isn't that for the Galaxy Nexus and not the S3?

Actually I would think the S3 violates more patents now that the US version on all carriers has a physical home button.

I've played with a working model... it's a really nice phone... probably going to pick one up because I'm a dork like that.

iacrenter said:
The court ruling since Friday now bars both the s3 and tab in the US. Sad sad news for android fans.
http://mobile.businessweek.com/news...blocking-u-dot-s-dot-sales-of-samsung-s-nexus
I haven't read anything that targets the S3, in fact, I saw it on sale at TMobile on Friday and also at Costco (for TMobile). Then Sprint put them on sale today:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/01/psa-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-now-available-in-sprint-stores/

I should go get mine before they do stop selling them though.

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
The court ruling since Friday now bars both the s3 and tab in the US. Sad sad news for android fans.
http://mobile.businessweek.com/news...blocking-u-dot-s-dot-sales-of-samsung-s-nexus
I haven't read anything that targets the S3, in fact, I saw it on sale at TMobile on Friday and also at Costco (for TMobile). Then Sprint put them on sale today:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/01/psa-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-now-available-in-sprint-stores/

You are right. Looking online they are still selling the S3 @ TMobile. Maybe the court order injunction hasn't fully taken effect. I would expect by early next week things will change. Get it this weekend or forever hold your peace...or at least until the legal battle with Apple is over. That could be a very long time.

In the link you post... I don't read anything that mentions the SIII... just the Galaxy Nexus which isn't the same phone.

irvinehomeowner said:
In the link you post... I don't read anything that mentions the SIII... just the Galaxy Nexus which isn't the same phone.

My mistake. The ban is only on the Nexus phone. But the article did mention Apple was trying to ban 25 Sammy products including the S3. Hopefully Samsung's appeal goes well otherwise we won't be seeing any of their products under the Christmas tree this year.

iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:

You are right. Looking online they are still selling the S3 @ TMobile. Maybe the court order injunction hasn't fully taken effect. I would expect by early next week things will change. Get it this weekend or forever hold your peace...or at least until the legal battle with Apple is over. That could be a very long time.

Buy now or be injunctioned out forever.

Picked up the Dark Blue S III today. Didn't want to wait for the IJebus 5, and one thing I've learned from years of Apple products: Never buy the first Generation of anything they make. 

Thin, fast, huuuuge screen relative to the Droid I had. Time will tell about software, camera, and other features.

Nice... I want me an S3... just don't know if I can get used to that huge-antic form factor.

My first gen iPhone 4 was good (despite AntennaGate)... so I think the iPhone 5 is going to be a killer (almost same form factor, bigger screen).

It's about the right size for my hands. Much lighter than I had expected and takes some getting used to. Because of how thin it is, you think it's possible to snap the thing in half pretty easily. The Voicemail accesss is a bit strange. Their version of Siri is ok. Voice recognition to text is terrific though. Nary a misspelled word so far.

Soylent Red's iPhone 3G is dying with only a 2hr charge left per cycle. The Iphone 5 needs to arrive soon, or we'll perhaps grab a refurb unit for the short run. Can't get SR to switch to the android platform. She's been fully absorbed into the collective.  ;)

Apple has me caught in their garden wall prison--would love to try out Android or future Windows phone but I've got all my music, apps, and Apple computers to make the switch at this point. Will just wait and see for the iPad Mini and iPhone 5.

Still like the Samsung product, although their Siri-lite "S Voice" blows harder than the morning after eating bad sashimi.

Soylent Red is happy that the IJebus 5 (perhaps called the "IJebus XL") will be out in 45 days. Her 3G is on life support and there's a Priest in the room about to give last rites.

Back