Mendocino and Saragota in Stonegate

The Motor Court Company

Another two new developments proposed in Stonegate (aka Stinkgate), according to the latest city document:http://irvinequickrecords.com/SIREPUB/cache/0/t2rjyh45qvzwygqump5cio55/1323171504272012014950364.PDF

Couple observations:
1. Hell must have been frozen over - Mendocino, SFR homes with driveways proposed by the TIC. I thought TIC is only building motor court homes nowadays.
2. Mendocino is not FCB friendly as it got too many syllables. Saratoga to a less degree.
3. TIC keeps pushing the limit for setbacks - 3 ft side setback and 8 ft rear setback for true SFRs? If this trend keeps going, soon we will be speaking in inches.
4. Apparently there is a water crisis in the Grove. Some senior citizen is pissed that more new homes are getting built and it will cause even more water shortage. Page 77 and 78 of the PDF file.

ps9 said:
Smaller then Maricopa, can't wait to be disappointed again. 
So a *new* Irvine Pacific floorplan?

Oooooo... seems interesting as the Plan 3 has a sideways garage.

But 3ft wide sideyards? How am I going to bring my garbage cans in and out?

@TMCC, where do you find the time to search irvine records all day?  not the best search engine.. i always end up quiting do to frustration...

284efd48.jpg

Mendocino got the better placement, center of village and next to schools.. away from major streets..

838195e9.jpg

gonna have to pull out one trash can at a time.. don't really care for the plan 3 sideways garage... the right turn into garage might be hard if you're mentally incapacitated..

Plan 1 might be the only one with decent curb appeal and semi usable back yard.. but might feel claustrophobic

Half of the Saratoga homes will have to deal with the road noise (the trucks heading out to the dump mainly) coming from Sand Canyon or Portola Parkway.  I'm guessing the price point will be the high $600s to the mid $700s.

I don't like side garage either... I just mentioned it because it signifies a different floorplan that iPac hasn't shown us.

I wonder if one of the "workshops" previewed them.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Half of the Saratoga homes will have to deal with the road noise (the trucks heading out to the dump mainly) coming from Sand Canyon or Portola Parkway.  I'm guessing the price point will be the high $600s to the mid $700s.

Saratoga looks like motor court homes about the size of San Mateo.  I'd say slightly higher prices than San Mateo, but no where near high 6, mid 7.

EDIT: Looks more like size of San Marcos.

USCTrojanCPA said:
IndieDev said:
8 foot setback? Is that even legal?
Of course it's legal (after TIC gets the variance exception from their buddies at the city).

I don't consider a home with an 8 foot back yard a SFH, that's a condo straight up. The 3 foot sideyard is equally disturbing. Some fatter individuals might have to walk sideways to get into the 8 foot backyard.

It is interesting to read the documentation regarding the sideyard and backyard variances. They are limiting TIC on the number of homes with the variance to those already shown on the master plan. In addition, Irvine requested restrictions within the CC&Rs to prevent future homeowners from adding additions to their home (backyard or sideyard) that would encroach on the10'/5' setback standard. In other words, owners would not be allowed to extend the whole house to the variance setback of 8'/3'.

So the smaller sideyard will help them maybe squeeze in another house per street? Might as well make these paired homes.

The smaller backyard won't let them add more homes based on the street configuration... maybe it will give them longer driveways? Or maybe they weren't meant to have sidewalks and now this will allow it?

TIC "innovation" at work.

IndieDev said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
IndieDev said:
8 foot setback? Is that even legal?
Of course it's legal (after TIC gets the variance exception from their buddies at the city).

I don't consider a home with an 8 foot back yard a SFH, that's a condo straight up. The 3 foot sideyard is equally disturbing. Some fatter individuals might have to walk sideways to get into the 8 foot backyard.

This might show up on the police blotter:

Stonegate:  Fattie got stuck between side of his house and his neighbors while taking out trash.  Jaws of Life unsuccessful.  Request for breaking through the fence still HOA pending.  Fattie resorting to eating trash till situation improves.

Actually the fat individual was in violation of the HOA code by being over 200 pounds and attempting to enter the backyard. It's known as the Patrick J. Star law. They will be fined $50 a day until they successfully remove themselves, or wither away under 200 pounds.

Dang... I'm banned from Mendocino.

As a side note... if these are priced south of mid-700ks, they will sell regardless of the size of the sideyard/backyard... that's the Unicorn Rule.

gaogi said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Saratoga looks like motor court homes about the size of San Mateo.  I'd say slightly higher prices than San Mateo, but no where near high 6, mid 7.

EDIT: Looks more like size of San Marcos.
If you look at overall layout, I don't think it's possible to build motor court homes around those looped streets.  Plus, TIC should have learned its lesson that San Marcos sized motor court homes don't sell well.

Irvine_Dreamer said:
If you look at overall layout, I don't think it's possible to build motor court homes around those looped streets.  Plus, TIC should have learned its lesson that San Marcos sized motor court homes don't sell well.

Page 20 shows Saratoga has garage @ private court.  3 feet setback for the garage is another hint at motor court.  Since TIC turned the rest of San Marcos into San Mateo II, it does seem strange that they would build something like this right next to the current San Marcos.  Might as well build out the rest of San Marcos and turn Saratoga into San Mateo II.

I think San Marcos is doing OK except plan 1 but San Mateo is even better due to the better location and much lower price point. San Marcos' plan 1 is unpopular because arguably you get a better deal in San Mateo plan 3. But in general 4 BR detached homes with 1 first floor BR under $700k fills a need - there are a lot of poor Asian families out there that cannot afford a home without living with their grand parents who must use their life-time saving to help pay the down payment. 

That is why Saratoga is all 4 BR homes with 1st floor BR to serve this particular demographic.

Back