Realistic Childcare Options in Irvine

lovinLife

We are working parents of a 9 month old.  He is at our home with a nanny all day.  She's great and helps out with housework, but her child development skills are limited.  We are getting to the point of wanting him to have more interaction with other babies and exposure to the outside world.  Sure he goes out to the park, but we find this interaction limited.  We have been searching for quite some time for the right day care because I think it's time to transition him out of the house.  All of the places that we have found seem to be great (ICDC, Turtle Rock Preschool, Northwood Montessori etc), but they have crazy waitlists.  Most of the Montessori programs that do have spots unfortunately don't take 9 month olds or they seemed to be better environments for older toddlers (2+).  Any ideas from fellow working parents in the Irvine area?

Some people I've talked to have found success with private childcare (where there is someone who runs something out of their home). These were for toddlers though so I'm not sure that will help with a 9-month old.

My best advice would be to find the best one of those Childcare places that have the shortest waiting list and keep your child on a waiting list for one of your preferred Childcare programs. The ones that we liked and that are friends liked are (in no certain order): Kindercare, Good Shepard. Childtime and Jenny Hart. I'm not sure which one of these have < 1 year old programs. Montessori is worth the wait... but it seems their waitlist keeps growing.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

I've also heard good things about the day care at Mariner's Church.  I believe they allow little ones as young as 4 months old.

If you want to expose your child to other children, maybe you could just find someone else who would like to share your nanny a couple of days a week or a couple hours a day?  IMO, at that age, all kids do with other children is get them sick. Especially at daycare.  There's nothing more depressing than paying a huge check to the daycare center every month, but still burning a week of vacation every month because you have to stay at home with a sick child (and then get sick yourself).

lovinLife said:
We are working parents of a 9 month old.  He is at our home with a nanny all day.  She's great and helps out with housework, but her child development skills are limited.  We are getting to the point of wanting him to have more interaction with other babies and exposure to the outside world.  Sure he goes out to the park, but we find this interaction limited.  We have been searching for quite some time for the right day care because I think it's time to transition him out of the house.  All of the places that we have found seem to be great (ICDC, Turtle Rock Preschool, Northwood Montessori etc), but they have crazy waitlists.  Most of the Montessori programs that do have spots unfortunately don't take 9 month olds or they seemed to be better environments for older toddlers (2+).  Any ideas from fellow working parents in the Irvine area?

Agree with the others.. at 9 months.. it really doesn't matter... better to have homecare versus exposing to one ear infection after another.. but do sign up with all the schools you want, never know...  and call call call the schools every month to follow up.. it works, don't believe the schools use the strict "wait list" process... persistence works...

Do both of you work in Irvine?  If you don't, try expanding your search to areas near work.. prices do drop quite a bit outside of Unicorn City..

Ditto on IHO's recommendation on schools.. check out St. Andrews on Barranca.. my wife liked it.. also Kindercare/Tutor Time has infant but are expensive and some parents don't like it.  We visited Mariners.. not bad but again wait list..

Here's the link to Irvine's child care
http://cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=19040

Good luck

Thanks all for the replies.  We have decided to put ourselves on a bunch of waitlists and wait it out.  We're in no rush and given your feedback about babies getting sick, I think it's better to wait for the right place.  In the meantime, we will have to find other activites for baby to mingle and play.  Starting with Gymboree, but if you have any other ideas to occupy him, I'm all ears.

Just want to bump up this thread, and see if there are some updated recommendations of daycares/preschools for 1 year old. My son is 1 year old and I have checked with University/northwood Montessori, Kindercare, Good Shepard, St. John's Episcopal School. But they all have a long waitlist.

talkirvine said:
Just want to bump up this thread, and see if there are some updated recommendations of daycares/preschools for 1 year old. My son is 1 year old and I have checked with University/northwood Montessori, Kindercare, Good Shepard, St. John's Episcopal School. But they all have a long waitlist.

For everyone who's having their first kid and want them in a specific preschool/montessori, you put your kid on the waitlist the week they are born.  That's just the reality of the situation. 

the day they are conceived?.

akkord said:
talkirvine said:

For everyone who's having their first kid and want them in a specific preschool/montessori, you put your kid on the waitlist the week they are born.  That's just the reality of the situation.

talkirvine said:

Maybe try the new one that?s opening where the Barnes and Noble in Woodbridge used to be. New school means no or smaller waitlist. I think it?s called Piper Preschool - opens fall.

bones said:
talkirvine said:

Maybe try the new one that?s opening where the Barnes and Noble in Woodbridge used to be. New school means no or smaller waitlist. I think it?s called Piper Preschool - opens fall.

I read on NextDoor that was defeated. I should re-check.

Don't let the long waitlists deter you if those are the schools you prefer. Check back often and in person... childcare facilities do have some churn and if you are available to fill a slot, they might take you ahead of others (instead of having to go through the trouble of calling through the waitlist). I guess it's kind of like the new homes "waitlists". :)

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
talkirvine said:

I read on NextDoor that was defeated. I should re-check.

Don't let the long waitlists deter you if those are the schools you prefer. Check back often and in person... childcare facilities do have some churn and if you are available to fill a slot, they might take you ahead of others (instead of having to go through the trouble of calling through the waitlist). I guess it's kind of like the new homes "waitlists". :)

Oh interesting. I read there was opposition. Agree with churn and maybe find out if any other ones are opening. With all the new homes and the demographics, there?s bound to be something coming down the pipeline.

Vesting map for Orchard Hills 4 suggest a daycare will be built next to the fire station. Not sure of the timeline.

Back