Rate the last movie you saw...

irvinehomeowner

In some other forums they have a thread like this, the rules are simple:

1. It can be any movie, old or new.
2. Use a 10 pt scale
3. Additional commentary is fine as long as you don't spoil key points of the movie (too bad TI doesn't support spoiler tags)

For example:

Ides of March: 2/10

Not sure what the hype is here... typical poli-drama without any real twists or conflicts to resolve

Theaters:

1. Act of Valor
2. 8.5/10
3. Acting is what you would expect from Marines, but the fact that the actors are active duty Marines and the plot is based off of real events made the movie feel so much closer to reality. Plus some of the scenes reminded me of playing Call of Duty.

RedBox:
1. Three Musketeers
2. 5/10
3. Enjoyable movie, acting was corny. Kind of reminded me of another Pirates movie. The fight scenes were decent.

Act of Valor...I took my nine year old (his first R).  Just some violent action but nothing like Halo 3 so no big deal for him.  We thought it was Awesome!!!  Applauded at the end.

Also saw Act of Valor recently.  I think I expected more action which it really didn't deliver.  6/10

I did enjoy the part where they sniped the bad guy and the Seal was waiting in the water with his arms raised to catch the victim so he wouldn't make a loud splash.

I put the color is white so I wouldn't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Goodfellas
9/10
SoCal is too cheap to pay theater prices so I will review a movie made over 20 years ago which I watched for free when it aired on cable last weekend as I do every weekend.
Interesting look into the "lifestyle" of the Italian mafia in New York. It is based on a true story. Anyone who watches the reality show "Mob Wives" knows that the scenes they depict are true as they confirm this is a typical way of life for them and their family before them. The movie has some dark comedy, some captivating scenes, and interesting autobiographical narrative which I felt added a lot to the story. Ray Liotta is sexy. This film has all the big names - Joe Pesci, Robert DeNiro, Lorraine Bracco, etc. Movies rarely make an impression on me. I guess I'm hard to please. I quickly forget them. However, this movie had several memorable scenes. I would give an example but I don't think anyone would care.

21 jump street

7/10

it was alright, had some funny moments.  predictable. there is a surprise appearance that i did not know about before seeing the film. 

qwerty said:
21 jump street

7/10

it was alright, had some funny moments.  predictable. there is a surprise appearance that i did not know about before seeing the film.

Gonna go see this tomorrow!!

I watched a Bollywood movie called "Tere Bin laden" (Without you Laden :http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Tere_Bin_Laden/70144312).Watched on Netflix instant play.
My rating: 9/10

Too lazy to write the synopsis of the movie, but here is a copy/paste from Netflix: This film is amazingly refreshing for a bollywood film. Very original in concept. In the beginning, the pace is a little slow, but it picks up 20 minutes or so into the movie. The real gem of the movie is Pradhuman Singh, who plays Noora, the Chicken-Farmer who happens to be a OBL lookalike. As events progress, there's a case of mistaken identities, and the CIA gets involved in arresting OBL, who is in-fact a sweet ignorant Chicken Farmer. For an Indian audience, the comedy might be a little too western. However, the jokes are very funny, and the laughs keep coming all the way till the end. If you don't enjoy the first 30 minutes of the movie, you probably won't like it. But if you like it in the first 30 minutes, it just keeps getting better and funnier after that all the way to the end credits. If you are into funny satires, this film is a must watch.

Other watch of the week: I do (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/I_Do_How_to_Get_Married_and_Stay_Single/70111247)
My rating 8/10.

in theatres - 21 Jump Street:  7/10.  I knew the dealer looked like someone familiar but couldn't place it.  Turns out he is James Franco's brother.

on DVD/bluray - Forgetting Sarah Marshall:  9/10.  I've seen it many times before and it is  probably my favorite of the Judd Apatow movies  (but then I usually say that if I see Knocked Up or 40 year old virgin again).  I'd give it 10/10 if the ending/last 20 minutes wasn't so lame but every minor character is just hilarious in their own way.  We mainly just watched it again cause we are planning to stay at that Turtle Bay Resort and wanted to see some things.  No idea why they deleted the yoga scene from the movie (its on the extended DVD) but you should watch it on youtube especially if you like Kristin Wiig from SNL.  Here's a clip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrT7JTssH3c[/youtube]

Also been watching Band of Brothers DVD that someone lent me at work. 10/10, but I love WW2 history.

on TV - Step Brothers.  Seen it before too.  8/10

Netflix -  Breaking Bad: Season 3 - now this show is awesome! 10/10.  Another show we loved from Netflix and have now watched every season: Dexter! (10/10)

Next up we will be watching Homeland (I think last year was the first season) which we also heard is great.  I also started Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels but I didn't finish it.

Since 26inirvine mentioned it:

Homeland - 8/10: It's good but the story has a few holes... the acting is very good.

That reminds me... Claire Danes was excellent in this movie:

Temple Grandin - 8/10: Had no idea what this movie was about but got hooked as I kept watching it... very interesting and based on a real person.

Netflix:

1. The Adventures of Tintin
2. 8
3. Great Spielberg flick, along the lines of Indian Jones, some might think cartoon, but some of the scenes would be next to impossible to shoot in real life..(i.e. single shot car chase scene thru city near end of movie).. don't watch with kids...still a bit too violent..

Back