Exalting 'n Smiting For Dummies

A

Anonymous

Maybe this has been asked before somewhere...if so, I apologize...and it's not really a technical question per se...but is exalting a greater gesture than the old thanks button? I think it must be, since you can only exalt once an hour, whereas you could thank everyone and their grandmother all day long on the IHB. So just wondering...what kind of behavior deserves an exultation?

Hopefully the waiting period on the exalt will give it greater weight than a thanks since the exalts are not frivolous actions. Plus, this means smites won't be used abusively. Somebody had mentioned to me that they would like to see a type of directory here on the site that lists the users who are offer professional services, for quick reference. If we were to do such a thing, I think it would be a valuable tool having this type of feedback to check since it takes into accounts both the positive and negative... therefore a highly-exalted person has really earned those precious exalts... likewise, a smitten person's feedback would reflect that as well. I think that would be more valuable for us to use as a gauge than only a number of random thanks if it were to come to that. What do you guys think?

I think the exultations would be enough to judge credibility (a high karma score, vs lack thereof) even without the smites. Since smites actually cancel out your hard-earned exultations, someone could theoretically have a grudge against someone and smite them every hour until their karma score was negative (even if everyone else on the board loved them). Not that anyone here would do that, but it's possible.

traceimage brings up a good point.

Rather than have both Exalt and Smite, can we just have Exalt?

I've been on other boards where they removed the negative flag because it was abused and as traceimage said, the actual lack of karma/honor/rep was indicative enough of the poster's credibility.

I can definitely disable the Karma feature entirely, which will remove Exalt and Smite. There might be a way to remove just the smite but it's not an option at the tip of my fingers, so it's another thing we'll have to look into. This growing Honey-Do list is going to be killer, isn't it. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

socal, I didn't know if you saw my other comments, but can we somehow rephrase Smite with "report" or "flag" kinda like Craigslists... or have a separate button altogether... that way, the mods don't have to do all the work...

[quote author="roundcorners"]socal, I didn't know if you saw my other comments, but can we somehow rephrase Smite with "report" or "flag" kinda like Craigslists... or have a separate button altogether... that way, the mods don't have to do all the work...[/quote]

Noted. Yes, I see the usefulness in the way it's done such as at OCR where two or three requests to remove from readers, results in hidden post. It's not one of the pre-programmed options here so I can't snap my fingers. Mr. SC found a way to make it do that but it takes effect after one request for removal (and mods could unhide it) - however I think that is a little overkill, to have one disagreement result in a hidden post. As always -- it will be put on the list of things to do. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Ok, I've officially had it with the exalt and smite feature. I don't think I'd ever really want to "smite" anyone, I can do that with words and a needed explanation. If I want to exalt someone, I really don't see any need to only be able to do that once per hour. I seriously check in to the areas I want to see several times a day for only a few minutes, I "exalted" IHO for something I liked and then was unable to do the same for no_vas, that is just stupid.

Ditto on exalting more than once an hour. I understand why it is in place, but most of us come in and read a bunch a threads then move on to Calculated Risk or something. I wanted to exalt three people just now, but couldn't because of the "rule". And I know... I will not remember to go back to exalt them later, and even if I did I would have exalted someone else.

Oh, and I wish it didn't go to the person's profile. I don't care, I just want to keep reading the thread.
[/b*tchingandmoaning]

I'd exalt graph right now, but I have to go back and remember where I was supposed to exalt no_vas because my hour is up. Geez.

I'm just doing it old school... quoting the post and telling the poster "I approve".

Each forum software handles these things differently... the best one I saw allowed you to "thank" a post and actually leave an off-thread comment if you felt like it. So not only could you see who was thanking you but why (and it added points to your karma).

Let's take it easy on Mom... she didn't build the house, she just bought it for us... her and Dad will find all the light switches in due time.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Let's take it easy on Mom... she didn't build the house, she just bought it for us... her and Dad will find all the light switches in due time.[/quote]

That is why I ended my whine with the cheese of [/b*tchingandmoaning]. Just some helpful hints on what would make this place better, and I am not the only one. I love that SoCal has set this up, and I know the progress will be slow. One step at a time. It's all good.

You know, the one per hour thing is not that bad.

It makes you more stingy with your "thanks"... hehe... quality over quantity!

Granted, I'll be getting less spider-monkey-love but I'll just get a screen cap of my Thanks count from graph over on the forum-that-shall-not-be-named.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]traceimage brings up a good point.

I've been on other boards where they removed the negative flag because it was abused and as traceimage said, the actual lack of karma/honor/rep was indicative enough of the poster's credibility.[/quote]
Yeah, what he said....^^^^

T-man is sad because I have negative karma now. :'(

USC.

With all that bad Karma your not going to the Rose Bowl. <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

The Karma thing kinda works. Lets see how it plays out over a
little more time.

And USC's karma is the reason why a negative one shouldn't exist.

I'm sure other posters are pranking on him but for new posters... they won't know that. And the fact we can't see who are the people dekarmalizing makes it harder to tell.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]traceimage brings up a good point.

I've been on other boards where they removed the negative flag because it was abused and as traceimage said, the actual lack of karma/honor/rep was indicative enough of the poster's credibility.[/quote]
Yeah, what he said....^^^^

T-man is sad because I have negative karma now. :'([/quote]

Guilty ... only after seeing you complain about losing your 1 positive point I had to smite you. That and on how USC beat UCLA ... <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Anyway, I'm sure it will go up again after all the abuse ...

Back