Author Topic: [IHB] API & Equity  (Read 48552 times)

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2774
  • -Received: 1846
Re: [IHB] API & Equity
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
So what do all of these incredibly smart asians become once they graduate from college?  i rarely see asians in management positions. do they just become behind the scenes engineers? doctors? lawyers?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 393
  • -Received: 368
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »
Does Irvine schools allow grade skipping? Based on my genes, my child should be able to attend college at age 15.
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline davenlei

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 82
  • -Received: 161
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
So what do all of these incredibly smart asians become once they graduate from college?  i rarely see asians in management positions. do they just become behind the scenes engineers? doctors? lawyers?

Pretty much since social skills were never developed in the childhood years.  If you notice most of the people in upper management have strong social skills and a circle of 'friends' they cultivated through the years. 

Offline MovingOnUp

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 59
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »

There's about 15 asian guys (mostly korean) in my circle and we all grew up together. Here's what they're doing now in our early 30's.

1 - Doctor
4 - Lawyer
3 - Private equity, research analyst
1 - Investment banking
3 - entrepeneurs/small business owners (import export, gas station)
2 - Still working at the big 4
2 - including myself in regular companies as middle management (director level)

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »

Pretty much since social skills were never developed in the childhood years.  If you notice most of the people in upper management have strong social skills and a circle of 'friends' they cultivated through the years. 

yeah, any one is is great at something (school, etc) becomes great by giving up something, in these kids, it does appear to be social skills.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

so these guys must be senior managers?  i think there was on asian partner in the whole LA office when i was there.  it was actually interesting because a good chunk of the staff level was asian, and the higher up the ladder you went the less asians there were. the majority of the partners were white men.

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Thanks
  • -Given: 531
  • -Received: 988
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
We hide behind a blog personna and practice our social skill. We vent our frustration by killing trolls on Warcrafts.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Just look here many Asians are herd followers.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline Cubic Zirconia

• Thanks
  • -Given: 749
  • -Received: 298
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
We hide behind a blog personna and practice our social skill. We vent our frustration by killing trolls on Warcrafts.

You forgot to add our imaginary/virtual friends that complete our social circle.
I framed the pre-qualification letter and posted it at a conspicuous place under adequate lighting so that a guest with normal vision can see it and express substantial jealousy.

Offline WoodburyDad

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 48
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »

You forgot to add our imaginary/virtual friends that complete our social circle.

This thread is a virtual town hall equivalent.

Offline MovingOnUp

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 59
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »

so these guys must be senior managers?  i think there was on asian partner in the whole LA office when i was there.  it was actually interesting because a good chunk of the staff level was asian, and the higher up the ladder you went the less asians there were. the majority of the partners were white men.

One is a senior manager here in socal, the other is a manager who just recently transferred to asia.

Many reasons. First, there is a glass ceiling. Second, it's not that asians are social misfits because we only study, the corporate culture goes against the way we're raised. Asians are taught to respect elders and do as an elder says, even if we know it's not the best way. We never call elders by their first name and are not on the same level. No matter how americanized we are, that is engrained in us.

Now we enter corporate america and we're expected to shoot the $hit w/ older white people. It's just not natural. As a result, we're not easily able to sit and joke w/ older male partners, have a beer, talk sports, girls, etc., resulting in us getting overlooked and not be one of the good ol' boys.

Offline Homer_Simpson

• CERTIFIED FCB
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 729
  • -Received: 738
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »

Pretty much nailed it on the head, Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers.  Probably a hell of a lot more spreadsheet monkeys too since a majority of my analyst here are Asian. 

For larger companies I have not seen too many Asians in Director levels and above but for smaller companies I've seen a handful of Asian Directors and CFOs. 

#FARM

Offline abcd1234

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 55
  • -Received: 38
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
So, if you recognize this, how do you break the habit?

I work with 2 Asian guys (in Finance).  One is maybe 27 (born here) and went to Berkeley.  Yes he is smart but he is so incredibly socially awkward that it is painful for me to watch him interact with people.  He is getting excluded from meetings because he acts so subservient.  I am at least 15 years older than him and I have tried to talk with him, mentor him, to help him gain confidence and act with authority, but it seems like he prefers to be out of the limelight, which unfortunately will hold him back professionally.    He literally is bowing his head to people, and when a white good ol' boy prospect comes in, I cringe because he looks so silly doing this.  There is another guy (born in Korea) that isn't as bad, but still, will probably be looked over for someone who can at least hold a conversation.  I see them more as behind-the-scenes number crunchers/workhorses but not dealmakers.  The only meetings they go to are when the salespeople from Bloomberg, BlackRock come in to the office and noone else wants to deal with them.

Offline Homer_Simpson

• CERTIFIED FCB
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 729
  • -Received: 738
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »

Quickly move out of Irvine so your kids will have some diversity!!
#FARM

• Thanks
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
This is the exact reason why Asians are being taken advantaged of like expensive cheap housing.

I work with 2 Asian guys (in Finance).  One is maybe 27 (born here) and went to Berkeley.  Yes he is smart but he is so incredibly socially awkward that it is painful for me to watch him interact with people.  He is getting excluded from meetings because he acts so subservient.  I am at least 15 years older than him and I have tried to talk with him, mentor him, to help him gain confidence and act with authority, but it seems like he prefers to be out of the limelight, which unfortunately will hold him back professionally.    He literally is bowing his head to people, and when a white good ol' boy prospect comes in, I cringe because he looks so silly doing this.  There is another guy (born in Korea) that isn't as bad, but still, will probably be looked over for someone who can at least hold a conversation.  I see them more as behind-the-scenes number crunchers/workhorses but not dealmakers.  The only meetings they go to are when the salespeople from Bloomberg, BlackRock come in to the office and noone else wants to deal with them.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal