• Only see a few

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • One and done

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain in a post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I'm a chronic house hunter... even when we bought a home a few years back... we still looked at homes.

We took a break for a while because of the kids starting a new school but we've recently started looking seriously again.

While I have IrvineRealtor (Scott Gunther) and Redfin auto email alerts set up... my wife window shops Redfin like the mall (well... she actually buys stuff at those stores). Usually one of us will see something we like, email the other (I will usually find the floorplan (another IR2 perk)) and then we'll talk about it.

Before... we had only certain areas we wanted to look at, and really only newer homes. But now, the Mrs. has expressed a desire for a bigger home on a bigger (relative for Irvine) lot.  So we've expanded our search to areas that we really weren't considering before. The homes are older... so unlike the newer floorplans, we are getting the living spaces we want but now we have to look past the dated or *classic* features and have to look at potential (not a major rebuild... just updating). The upside is we are avoiding Mello Roos and in some cases, HOAs.

But because of this, we are less familiar with the floorplans and layout so the pictures on the MLS aren't enough for us to decide as an in-person visit, so we kind of have to look at it before we discount it. If there is an open house or a broker preview, we'll go see it... if not, and if it's something that we are serious about and fits our criteria... we drive by the home to see how the neighborhood is, what it looks like on the outside and how the ambient noise is if it's close to roads. If we still want to see it, we'll ring the IR2 hotline. This is different from how we used to do it in the past. Before we used to look at EVERY single home that slightly piqued our interest, but we realized that not only was that too time consuming, but it could make the decision making process harder. And the internet does make things easier for our old looky-loo ways.

Once we see the home, we'll talk about it more. I like touring them with IR2 because he'll give us input on what he thinks about the house, any feedback he got from the seller's agent and general opinions about the area. So any of the ones that we see on our own via open house, if it's a *contender*, we'll see again with Scott (and if the kids haven't seen it... they get their chance).

We'll have a few more rounds of discussions and if the boss says "GO!"... I'll let IR2 know and an offer will be made. It's so high-tech now... before, you had to meet with the realtor and sign tons of paper (like how you see on HGTV), now you can do it electronically (at least for most offers... some, usually the short sales, want actual signatures).

What I find notable is that on the homes we did make offers on:

1. One my wife wanted, we offered list price on a short, it got delisted because it turned into a loan mod... and then later was listed again as a short sale but my wife wasn't interested anymore and it actually sold for our original offer. Considering she really was indifferent about that, it's a good thing they didn't accept our offer the first time around.

2. One that I really wanted, we offered, the counter came in higher but within my range, but we couldn't counter on it because our refi on our current home hadn't closed yet. It sold at what they countered at to another party and now over a year later... my wife is no longer interested in that type of home (it was a smaller detached condo... and she wants space). I could live with it because it's in one of my desired areas... but if she couldn't... well, we know how that goes.

Two houses that we strongly considered making offers on, both went into escrow and ended up selling for below what we thought and those are our "I wonder ifs".

We have a few contenders now, but I want one and she wants another... the one I want, I think we can get for our price range but it's in a 'hood she doesn't like. The one she really wants needs quite a few updates, has some areas that can't be changed but in a much nicer area and site location... but... although a similar list price to my favorite... probably won't go lower.

So how do you guys hunt for houses? I'm especially interested in Indie's story if he doesn't mind sharing because from what I presume, his experience will be different from us 99 percenters. I would also like to hear how IHS found his 4CG if he can keep the details anonymous.

I am the chronic window shopper in our household. Thank God for redfin! I did that with the first house also, and the same thing with second house. Mr.CZ hates it. He joins me in the first few visits, and then drops off the program :) He will be back at the later phase when I have pretty much decided on 2/3 and make the final decision with me. I don't know if I should be sharing this, but at one point when I was throwing in offers to every other condo that we saw, I signed for him on all escrow papers. He was so tired of the whole 'low ball' offer.

We are never on the same page when it comes to house hunting. He wants a bigger house, bigger lot, and I want the smaller one. He is ready to upgrade even now. Both the times I cut the yard size and sf area of the house in half by the time we decided. So far both have been good investments. We were able to cash out one, and we are still not underwater in the current house. About upgrading, I am still not sure if this is the right time. I would rather buy another 2 bedroom/ 2 bath and rent it out rather than buy a 2500 sf house that we won't need.

I don't know how it is for other cultures, but in my culture, people put almost all the money they have into the house. It's not the house that they need mostly, it's the house they can buy. A 100k for a rainy day fund and everything else gets dumped in the down payment to keep the mortgage under 500k.

For myself, there are a handful of MUST-HAVES and DEAL BREAKERS that I stick to so that along with my price limit it really narrows down the possible matches out there for me.  The nice part for me is that I had and have several buyers who look for the same things in a home that I do so having toured countless number of homes with them has killed two birds with one stone.  I've been fortunate enough that my buyers have taken me to areas outside of Irvine that I was considering so I really got to see what kind of floor plans and prices were in cities neighborhing Irvine.  That being said, there were several homes that I have looked at myself when they came on the market and peeked my interest.  I've been really able to narrow down the floor plans and locations over the past year or so, including making the decision of primarily focusing on homes in Irvine.  I find that most buyers tend to prefer more turn-key move-in ready properties where I am not scared off at all by homes that need upgrading and cosmetic work done.  In the past 6 months I have submitted offers on a handful of properties, including short sales. 

Shopping for a house is like looking for a spouse. Seeing a lot of houses then choosing one is like dating excessively then having to choose the one having the least of the evils.

Assess your shortcomings and strength then be realistic of what you are asking for in a spouse.

Now do the same for a house.

my mind is mush now, given that we've looked on and off for over 2 years now.  i've seen so many houses and floorplans in every area imaginable.  from aliso to lake forest to irvine to tustin ranch to tustin to yorba linda and fullerton... 

i'd have to ask the question to you IHO, what's at the top of the list for you?    i used to think a newer open concept floor plan was really important, but price/value/location of the new offerings is really getting in the way of that strategy...    but on the other hand pretty much ALL (99%) of the floor plans in the older communities with cheaper taxes/HOAs leave much to be desired.  If I calculate in build/improvement costs, the value proposition diminishes greatly.  I know PatStar doesn't see it this way, and other people love the big living room/formal dining room with tiny family room and separate kitchen layout, but it just doesnt mesh with our lifestyle and wants...    personally i can't figure out what SHOULD be at the top of the list...  location?  layout?  exterior qualities like elevation, frontage, landscaping?  schools?  amenities? 

My personal example is Maricopa in Stonegate.    I really like a couple of the floorplans (it'd really make the ideal space).    Yes, there is Mello, but its on the "manageable" side at $4200 per year (not much more than I'd pay in Northpark for example) and the HOA is only $110 a month.    So perfect layout with a cost that is manageable...  is that enough to pull a trigger?    There are negatives for me that I can's stop thinking about like the general area location.    The whole woodbury/wb east/ stonegate/ stonegate east doesnt speak to me.  Stonegate doesn't seem like its going to be an in demand area in the future (i think of this because i won't guarantee i'll die in this house) so long-term value is important.  Am I buying in the next Oak Creek (to Quail Hill)...  the next West Irvine (to Northpark)...  the next University Park (to Turtle Rock)?    I look at the listings at homes on redfin and think (wow that's ugly) consistent with the "stucco box" comment frequently made.  I look at Maricopa and think "there is absolutely NOTHING exciting about how this house looks from the outside"...    That makes me think about what old Northwood is today.  Nice area, but ther are neighborhoods where every single house looks like crap.  Even if you blame it on the timing (1970's), we might be in the same situation now (all houses built in 2010 suffered from lack of nice design).    I think of some of the single story ranch charmers in N. Tustin (and for those rich enough in Eastbluff) and think "why can't I just have a little bit of that?"  (Long story of why I'm not looking in N Tustin).    Even if you like the "Newer" look, do you have to spend where you are looking at a Las Colinas/ Villa Rosa type of home to get a different look?   

i digress.. i think house hunting is important because you learn about what your long-term preferences are... but at the same time, you have to figure out what you are really looking for.  i, personally, have not figured that out yet, and as we approach the closing of escrow on our current home, we have no idea where we will end up (besides rental-living.com for temporary digs)...

akim997 said:
The whole woodbury/wb east/ stonegate/ stonegate east doesnt speak to me.  Stonegate doesn't seem like its going to be an in demand area in the future (i think of this because i won't guarantee i'll die in this house) so long-term value is important.  Am I buying in the next Oak Creek (to Quail Hill)...  the next West Irvine (to Northpark)...  the next University Park (to Turtle Rock)?    I look at the listings at homes on redfin and think (wow that's ugly) consistent with the "stucco box" comment frequently made. 

i dont understand this.  maybe the appreciate rate is slightly higher but during the bubble, oak creek went up just like quail hill.  sure in down market, quail hill is doing better than oak creek but oak creek is doing better than other neighborhoods.  unless you are looking at a purely investment point of view...

akim997 said:
I look at Maricopa and think "there is absolutely NOTHING exciting about how this house looks from the outside"...    That makes me think about what old Northwood is today.  Nice area, but ther are neighborhoods where every single house looks like crap.  Even if you blame it on the timing (1970's), we might be in the same situation now (all houses built in 2010 suffered from lack of nice design).

isnt this the entire problem with most of irvine?  when they build a new community, the community has 1 look and feel.  right now, 99% of woodbury looks the same so when it starts looking dated, the whole neighborhood looks dated.  i think non-irvine communities have done better at diversity.  for example, ladera ranch and village of columbus have a lot more elevations, color choices, and floorplans to make the neighborhood look less uniform.

Oak Creek bows down to Quail Hill is because of schools and somehow noise from 405 is worse.
West Irvine bows down to Northpark is due to the amenities and overall community design.
University Park bows down to Turtle Rock is because UP is so close to 405, and for 1970's houses, the lot size is quite laughable.

Woodbury does have better amenities and layout than Stonegate, is farther away from the dump, is more central and has the town center. But Stonegate has better schools and is newer. So at the end I think it will be about even.
You can't say the same about the two East hoods. They will always be inferior.

Portola Springs will always be inferior to WB/SG due to location. For Cypress Village due its close proximity to 5 and 1700 on-site apartments it will always be the ghetto.

So at the end I'll choose between WB and SG, depending on the particular floor plan and price.

akim997 said:
My personal example is Maricopa in Stonegate.    I really like a couple of the floorplans (it'd really make the ideal space).    Yes, there is Mello, but its on the "manageable" side at $4200 per year (not much more than I'd pay in Northpark for example) and the HOA is only $110 a month.    So perfect layout with a cost that is manageable...  is that enough to pull a trigger?    There are negatives for me that I can's stop thinking about like the general area location.    The whole woodbury/wb east/ stonegate/ stonegate east doesnt speak to me.  Stonegate doesn't seem like its going to be an in demand area in the future (i think of this because i won't guarantee i'll die in this house) so long-term value is important.  Am I buying in the next Oak Creek (to Quail Hill)...  the next West Irvine (to Northpark)...  the next University Park (to Turtle Rock)?    I look at the listings at homes on redfin and think (wow that's ugly) consistent with the "stucco box" comment frequently made.  I look at Maricopa and think "there is absolutely NOTHING exciting about how this house looks from the outside"...    That makes me think about what old Northwood is today.  Nice area, but ther are neighborhoods where every single house looks like crap.  Even if you blame it on the timing (1970's), we might be in the same situation now (all houses built in 2010 suffered from lack of nice design).    I think of some of the single story ranch charmers in N. Tustin (and for those rich enough in Eastbluff) and think "why can't I just have a little bit of that?"  (Long story of why I'm not looking in N Tustin).    Even if you like the "Newer" look, do you have to spend where you are looking at a Las Colinas/ Villa Rosa type of home to get a different look?   

Our house hunting is on the back burner for now, wife is satisfied with our current "cozy" house for a household of 3.  If we ever add a fourth we'll probably be more motivated in looking.  Maricopa was a bust, didn't want to live in a community of mainland fcb anyways.  Don't even want to talk about LA.  I'm always on the lookout for vaulted ceiling entries for less then $300/ sq ft though.  Love head room.  Convincing the boss to buy a house from the late 90's is another story.

akim997 said:
i'd have to ask the question to you IHO, what's at the top of the list for you?
How did Truth or Dare get here?

That's an easy one... affordability.

Isn't that where we all start... homes in a certain price range? And then depending on features and location, we'll decide whether we want to pay more, less or move on.

While "value retention" is a concern... it's not a big one since this one is going to probably end up being at least a 10-12 year house (coincides with the kids going off to college). It used to be before strictly from a rental parity perspective because we were planning to do the Panda and rent our next purchase out in a few years and then move to a more perma-house but that changed because the Mrs. wants the perma-house now instead of later. Plus being a landlord isn't very fun... we'll be doing that again if we ever find our next home.

But considering how much we look at houses online, there is a reason prices are sticky in Irvine, we can truly say there is barely anything we want in our price range. We can find many of them in South County cities... but that's too far away for me (for now).

@IHO, I found my house after looking at only 2 homes. I made an offer on the 1st house and I got outbid by 120k. I offered 150k over the asking price to secure the second house. I was able to narrow my search by using 3 factors. 4 car garage, gorgeous looking house and a specific acreage. Being specific I eliminated 99.99% of houses listed and saved myself a lot of time to enjoy my weekends.

I get it. Houses are just like women. Great appearance, large balcony and nice topography then the floor plan could be overlooked. Since you are choosing ugly then you really have to search hard for the best personality and cheap date.

IHS - is there anything built after 2000 in Irvine thats under $1.2M that you dont consider ugly?  and what makes it ugly?  the location, the layout, the curb appeal?

irvinehomeshopper said:
I get it. Houses are just like women. Great appearance, large balcony and nice topography then the floor plan could be overlooked. Since you are choosing ugly then you really have to search hard for the best personality and cheap date.
Yeah that's why some of us have to be realistic and know that we can't afford the supermodel so as long as the girl has the basics required features they are attractive. 

I have never heard of architectural scholars, critics and columnists refer to Irvine architecture outstanding but I have heard of praises for Pereira and Watson's 1960s visionary planning.

irvinehomeshopper said:
@IHO, I found my house after looking at only 2 homes. I made an offer on the 1st house and I got outbid by 120k. I offered 150k over the asking price to secure the second house. I was able to narrow my search by using 3 factors. 4 car garage, gorgeous looking house and a specific acreage. Being specific I eliminated 99.99% of houses listed and saved myself a lot of time to enjoy my weekends.

I've seen that house on several occasions for us...  unfortunately these homes were/are $500K+ out of our price range...  (Eastbluff would be such and ideal place)

If you want a supermodel but can't afford the the admission at the fundraiser gala then you should consider other venues or search through a pile of uglies for one that has a potential of a makeover.

akim997 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I've seen that house on several occasions for us...  unfortunately these homes were/are $500K+ out of our price range...  (Eastbluff would be such and ideal place)

But considering how much we look at houses online, there is a reason prices are sticky in Irvine, we can truly say there is barely anything we want in our price range. We can find many of them in South County cities... but that's too far away for me (for now).
[/quote]

and what is the reason that prices are sticky (in your opinion)? schools?  community? location?    Location is one of my issues with Stongate/WB...  that and home exterior. 

Im in the same "affordabilty" boat.  my ideal situation would be a new(er) build 4BR/3BA home with a decent backyard, a driveway and nice open concept space for $781,250.  Right now, this is what you can get for that kind of money:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/34-Brena-92620/home/4786180

irvinehomeshopper said:
If you want a supermodel but can't afford the the admission at the fundraiser gala then you should consider other venues or search through a pile of uglies for one that has a potential of a makeover.

akim997 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Yes, other venues..  I'm scouring through the "match.com" for real estate (redfin)... but there isn't a lot of potential out there...  and that's why we're looking at Stonegate.

You are far from searching a supermodel. You are only asking for a good skin tone and that is like impossible.    Once you find the good skin complexion then good luck with the personality. This is like the Silicon Valley my friend the uglies are expensive dates because there are just too many affluent single men there.

akim997 said:

and what is the reason that prices are sticky (in your opinion)? schools?  community? location?    Location is one of my issues with Stongate/WB...  that and home exterior. 

Im in the same "affordabilty" boat.  my ideal situation would be a new(er) build 4BR/3BA home with a decent backyard, a driveway and nice open concept space for $781,250.  Right now, this is what you can get for that kind of money:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/34-Brena-92620/home/4786180

[/quote]

Back