The perfect Christmas gift: a new margarita recipe

cameray

by PAUL HODGINS
from the OC Register

So in the spirit of SoCal Christmas, I'd like to talk 'ritas today. (Hey, with the Al Gore weather we got last weekend, an ice-cold Maggie sounds like just the ticket.)

My biggest problem with the margarita is boredom. Yes, they're delicious, but after 25 years of drinking some variation of the Cadillac ? invariably a high-end tequila such as Patron with Gran Marnier and a ho-hum bottled margarita mix (a short cut that most bars take) ? I've been casting around lately for some variations.

My wife and I have recently perfected an alta-'rita (I like to call it the Hodgarita) that is much less costly to make than your standard Cadillac. And every one of our friends who tastes it is instantly hooked.

Recipe:

2 oz. El Jimador Reposado tequila
2 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 oz. agave miel
? oz. St-Germain

Rub a lime wedge around rim of a chilled martini glass and salt it (if desired). In a shaker filled with ice combine tequila, lime juice, agave and St-Germain. Shake vigorously. Pour. Salud!

Under comments-

clemente says:

The correct and only recipe for a margarita is as follows, however I agree that people can have it any which way they like.

2 parts 100% agave tequila
1 part hand squeezed lime juice
1 part cocktail ready agave nectar.

The agave miel should not be used straight out of a bottle (even though I've seen bottles that tell you that you can). It needs to be cooked first and made cocktail ready. The biggest part of the recipe should always be TEQUILA. Only ten restaurants in the U.S. serve such a recipe, one is close to you. It's called Carmelitas and we just opened. Ask for me, Clemente, I'll be more than happy to make you one when you arrive.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmelitas-rancho-santa-margarita

[Mod edited to excerpt article and provide link to whole article.]

Back