[IHB] Culver Divides

CZ - can you edit post to change zip code reference to community name (either full or short like NW & NP).  Its very confusing esp as the zip codes are so similar.  Even you made a mistake:

While both the zipcodes have low crime, keeping in line with the City of Irvine statistics, 92602 scored 1.54 on robbery and 92602 scores a 6.6. Both are gated communities, but 92602 is a ?guard? gated community. Does that make a difference? Statistics seem to agree on that fact.

Thanks RKP for pointing out the mistake- it's a good idea to use village names instead of zipcodes. I can't edit this post, but I will use that idea for the next posts:)

I like these comparison posts but I dont think this is a fair comparison.  The NWP (northwood pointe) house is a duplex and not an SFR like the NP one.  That alone can be a deal breaker for many people. 

Setting that aside, while I love the NWP area, I would go with the NP house if I had to choose between these 2 properties.  Most of OC is cookie cutter so people fully expect their neighbors house to be similar to theirs but this particular NWP tract takes the cake for conformity.  Its downright scary and soul crushing driving through down those streets with every single house looking 100% identical and all bright white. 

On the garages, not sure what you mean by 2 exits for the tandem garage in NWP.  In either case, a single lane driveway with a 2 car wide garage might as well be a tandem garage. 

Finally, the $380 cheaper is using the 2011 tax paid vs what it would be on the current purchase price.  It takes a min to calculate the actual taxes based on purchase price by looking at the bill and breaking down the percentage portion and fixed portion.  I believe it will be closer in cost than $380.

The list of Hicks Canyon?s extracurricular activities is almost thrice the size of Canyon View?s.

Did not realize this.  Do you have a side by side to compare the 2?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Thanks RKP for pointing out the mistake- it's a good idea to use village names instead of zipcodes. I can't edit this post, but I will use that idea for the next posts:)

I've updated that one instance to say 92620.

rkp said:
I like these comparison posts but I dont think this is a fair comparison.  The NWP (northwood pointe) house is a duplex and not an SFR like the NP one.  That alone can be a deal breaker for many people. 

Setting that aside, while I love the NWP area, I would go with the NP house if I had to choose between these 2 properties.  Most of OC is cookie cutter so people fully expect their neighbors house to be similar to theirs but this particular NWP tract takes the cake for conformity.  Its downright scary and soul crushing driving through down those streets with every single house looking 100% identical and all bright white. 

On the garages, not sure what you mean by 2 exits for the tandem garage in NWP.  In either case, a single lane driveway with a 2 car wide garage might as well be a tandem garage. 

Finally, the $380 cheaper is using the 2011 tax paid vs what it would be on the current purchase price.  It takes a min to calculate the actual taxes based on purchase price by looking at the bill and breaking down the percentage portion and fixed portion.  I believe it will be closer in cost than $380.

The list of Hicks Canyon?s extracurricular activities is almost thrice the size of Canyon View?s.

Let me see if I can link you to the comparison I did on Great schools website.

Side-by-side comparison for Hicks Canyon and Canyon View:
http://www.greatschools.org/school-comparison-tool/programsExtracurriculars.page?schools=CA3813%2CCA13867&source=%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.page%3Fsearch_type%3D0%26q%3Dirvine%26state%3DCA%26c%3Dschool%26gradeLevels%3De%26st%3Dpublic

Canyon view Sports:    P.E. classes, Yoga
Hicks Canyon Sports:    Basketball, Cheerleading, Football, Lacrosse, P.E. classes, Soccer, Volleyball

Canyon View Arts activities:   
  Academic contests
    Ceramics/sculpture
    Community service
    Drawing/painting
    Orchestra
    Science and technology
    Student council / student government
    Yearbook

Hicks Canyon activities:
    Academic contests
    Band
    Ceramics/sculpture
    Chorus
    Community service
    Computer arts
    Dance
    Drawing/painting
    Orchestra
    Photography
    Science and technology
    Student council / student government
    Theater/drama
    Video/film production
    Yearbook

rkp said:

--> They have listed both as SFRs. I think NWP is called "attached" SFR, not duplex.

--> I like that factor in the NP house also. If I am not wrong, some of the El Dorado houses have the similar courtyard entry on the side.

--redundancy :)

--> That is true. I didn't consider that the tax would be revised once the purchase price registers.

Just posted this below.
Thanks RKP!

CZ

BTW, for those interested in API breakdown by ethnicity:

API breakdown by ethnicity for Beckman High:

All Students: 866
African American: 761
Asian: 935
Filipino: 899
Hispanic: 752
White: 900

API breakdown by ethnicity for Northwood High:
All Students: 908
Asian: 945
Filipino: 853
Hispanic: 839
White: 881

I thought it was the 405 that divides? :D

rkp said:
On the garages, not sure what you mean by 2 exits for the tandem garage in NWP.
For that particular home, the garage has two doors, a front and back, so either car get exit/enter without having to move a car first. Many tandems only have one door/entrance.
In either case, a single lane driveway with a 2 car wide garage might as well be a tandem garage. 
Not really... I would rather have a 2-car wide over a 1-car wide tandem (especially if it only had 1 door).

ps99472 said:
What does API stand for?  Anal Parent's Insecurities? Don't remember we had them when I was in high school.

API number is the guardian of our property prices.
When we were kids, our parents told us "Study hard, your future depends on it."
We tell our kids "Study hard. Our equity depends on it".

Patrick J. Star said:
Our child has spent time at both IUSD and the TUSD schools servicing Irvine.  I can unequivocally state that if someone believes they are getting a better "education" simply by nature of being assigned to IUSD they have rocks in their head.  Assume all things are equal from an education standpoint.  For us, that then left the decision to which district had better facilities --- and hands down that was TUSD.  Newer and better designed schools, and they are all gated.
Considering that some random tourists were taking pictures at our open campus and that prompted a "Stranger Danger" alert... I much prefer the gates over the "I" in "USD".

I still think Pat Star's conclusion that people are paying for "something" and choosing to call it schools shines the most truth on this issue.

Yes they are both gated communities but they feel very different to me:

Northpark is a much more cohesive / well planned village similar to but smaller than Woodbury. It is guard gated with three main entrances to the community, multiple pocket parks, pools, tennis courts, clubhouse, and basketball court, and multiple interconnected paseos.

Northwood Pointe feels more like a collection of separate mini-villages, each with its own electric gate except (1) Arden Square--no gates at all (2) The Trailwood collection of homes South of Meadowood between Culver/Yale--this section is Guard Gated. The master community has only one main private pool and access to the public Meadwood Park--no series of pocket parks. I believe 4 of the sub-villages have their own pools as well (though it is not open to those outside those tracts) and Trailwood has their own tot lot.

Back