A&J

homer_simpson

I go to A&J very often, my wife enjoys the spicy beef tendon noodle soup and the scallion pancakes here a lot more then the other places. 

Spicy beef and tendon noodle soup (Thick Noodles).  The noodles were cooked perfectly, not too hard or soft.
d240c4dd.jpg

Scallion pancake. The scallion pancake here is not as thin or oily as the ones at Liang's kitchen. Put some of the chili sauce on this bad boy and it's game over for your taste buds. Highly recommend!
3587b6a9.jpg

Spicy Pork Ear (bottom left), Spicy Garlic Cucumbers (right), Mustard Greens with Bean Curd (top left).
The spicy pork ear here is decent, not too flavorful as Liang's.  The spicy garlic cucumbers are my favorite at A&Js (please bring gum or mouth wash with you to use after eating). The garlic is raw so it's going to make your breath kick like a Brazilian soccer team.  The mustard greens were ehh....
f630efb0.jpg

Daikon Pastry. Flakey, savory and OH SO GOOD!! First time trying this and I'll definitely order it again next time!
b1011d09.jpg

I also went to Mastros on Friday, only took a picture of the Kobe Wagyu Steak.
One word to describe this steak, "amazing". :)
c808366f.jpg

Hopefully one day I can do a review of Donut Star. :/

Don't you hate it when your post just gets left hanging with no replies? I do. Let me help you out. :)

I've been to A&J. I think I liked it, but I don't remember too many details.

traceimage said:
Don't you hate it when your post just gets left hanging with no replies? I do. Let me help you out. :)

I've been to A&J. I think I liked it, but I don't remember too many details.

LOL doesn't bother me.. it was created for newbies who have never been to A&J and looking for some decent Taiwanese grub  :D

A&J does a mean Tomahawk Chop like Homers pic above, goes great with Chinese donuts and soy milk :)

I ate there when it first opend in the early 90s. Most of the dishes are too oily and especially the beef noodle soup. it is overpriced just like everything else in Irvine and mediocre compared to the places in Rowland Heights. It is nonetheless decent for a neighborhood close eatery.

As a newbie, I enjoyed reading the review but was not aware of its location.
On our way to Yogurtland yesterday evening, I noticed the name as we pulled into the plaza.
There were a number of people standing outside and the place looked busy.

Just be aware that a line out the door in Irvine means nothing. The demand out paced supply is the reason. Even a gas station self served car wash has a long line.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Just be aware that a line out the door in Irvine means nothing. The demand out paced supply is the reason. Even a gas station self served car wash has a long line.

Not sure if it?s the location or food, but there?s a Korean restaurant on the other side of the center that always empty.
We never have a problem finding a place to park over there and walk over to Yogurtland.

The A&J is primarily a lunch place while the Korean is a dinner place. Go check out the scene on a Friday night you will see the reciprocal effect.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The A&J is primarily a lunch place while the Korean is a dinner place. Go check out the scene on a Friday night you will see the reciprocal effect.

that korean place is super packed late night. it's a drinking/snack place.

homer_simpson said:
I also went to Mastros on Friday, only took a picture of the Kobe Wagyu Steak.
One word to describe this steak, "amazing". :)
c808366f.jpg

Homer,

You are a true baller foodie  8) --$97 for your Wagyu Steak. I just had dinner at Mastro Newport yesterday--post Vday celebration and was surprised by the price for the special steak. I ended up getting the pauper bone in rib eye for half the price.  That was my 1st time there and would highly recommend the place.

I go to A&J for Chinese breakfast on weekends, when I don't feel like going to Ranch 99 @ Culver.  If you don't mind the drive, try going to the Ranch 99 in Artesia/Cerritos area on Pioneer Blvd on weekend mornings and try the breakfast there.  Afterwards, take your kids/family to Cerritos Library, the one across the street from Cerritos High School.  They have a great kid's section behind wall-size salt water aquarium.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ua64HbsBUo[/youtube]

Back