How to keep the magic of Santa alive?

irvinehomeowner

So... my daughter is now questioning the authenticity of the mall Santa Clauses.

This year, when she took her annual pictures with him, afterward, she asked me if he was real because she thinks he was wearing a fake beard.

I explained to her that she was probably just not seeing things correctly but she wonders why he looks different at Mission Viejo Mall than he does at South Coast Plaza.

I really enjoy the whole mythical creatures thing (she just lost a tooth 2 weeks ago and was so excited to get visited by the Tooth Fairy) and last year she even insisted on leaving carrots for Santa's reindeer... so I want to keep it going for a while.

What do you guys do to keep the Santa alive?

EDIT: Forgot to add, this article on CNet about how Norad's Santa Tracking program began and evolved was really good:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10418101-52.html

And if you have kids on computers Christmas Eve:

http://www.noradsanta.org/

Here is a conversation that went on in my house between my children R2- age 9, and R3- age 3. R2 is trying hard to demystify Santa and it's not really working. R3 believes whole heartedly that he exists, and he will bring her presents.

R2: I told you all this while that Santa is not real. He doesn't exist.
R3: I know he is not real. Mommy and Daddy get us gifts.
R2: See, you understood. So why should still write your list for Santa?
R3: Because if I don't write, how will Santa tell Mommy and Daddy to buy a pink scooter? I am sure he has a huge list to deliver to parents. He has to give the list. Otherwise how will they know who was good, who was bad?

R2 wasn't pleased to have wasted an hour explaining her that Santa is not real and he doesn't really come from a chimney with presents.

R3, in the mall, in line to take pictures with Santa..

R3: You big fat liar, you told me Santa is not real. There he is! And he is in the mall everyday shopping! Do you think he is shopping all day for himself? He will bring me my presents and not Mommy.

To keep Santa alive, I would suggest telling her that Santa lives in the hearts of parents/ family/ friends and they all reward her if she is good, and that the mall Santas are real Santa's helpers who fill in for him when he is busy preparing stuff.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]So... my daughter is now questioning the authenticity of the mall Santa Clauses.
[/quote]

A couple years ago, we saw a black Santa. My oldest questioned me. My explanation... "He's from the south pole." ::) Best I could do on short notice. LOL

[quote author="SoCal78"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]So... my daughter is now questioning the authenticity of the mall Santa Clauses.
[/quote]

A couple years ago, we saw a black Santa. My oldest questioned me. My explanation... "He's from the south pole." ::) Best I could do on short notice. LOL[/quote]

LOL...awesome story.

Convert to Judaism! No such difficult issues! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia"]Here is a conversation that went on in my house between my children R2- age 9, and R3- age 3. R2 is trying hard to demystify Santa and it's not really working. R3 believes whole heartedly that he exists, and he will bring her presents.

R2: I told you all this while that Santa is not real. He doesn't exist.
R3: I know he is not real. Mommy and Daddy get us gifts.
R2: See, you understood. So why should still write your list for Santa?
R3: Because if I don't write, how will Santa tell Mommy and Daddy to buy a pink scooter? I am sure he has a huge list to deliver to parents. He has to give the list. Otherwise how will they know who was good, who was bad?

R2 wasn't pleased to have wasted an hour explaining her that Santa is not real and he doesn't really come from a chimney with presents.

R3, in the mall, in line to take pictures with Santa..

R3: You big fat liar, you told me Santa is not real. There he is! And he is in the mall everyday shopping! Do you think he is shopping all day for himself? He will bring me my presents and not Mommy.

To keep Santa alive, I would suggest telling her that Santa lives in the hearts of parents/ family/ friends and they all reward her if she is good, and that the mall Santas are real Santa's helpers who fill in for him when he is busy preparing stuff. [/quote]

R3 has a future in management.

Back