Zumba?

traceimage

Has anyone ever tried this? Apparently it's some sort of Latin-inspired dance fitness craze. I have about as much coordination and dancing ability as a headless chicken, but I'm sort of interested in trying it out.

I just started it about a week and a half ago.  It's fun and doesn't feel like 40-60 minutes have passed.  I break a sweat every time.  I like it.  Not gonna lie, though.  I feel like an idiot some of the time.  I have a hard time keeping up with the more advanced videos because my feet just can't seem to move fast enough but I just do what I can and figure 40 minutes of moving is good for me, period.  The instructors are a little cheesy but the music is fun and gets stuck in my head.  You might want to try it on youtube or netflix or even 24 hour fitness first.  I saw a class at 24 hour fitness and it didn't seem as fun as the video though (the class seemed to have more repetition whereas the video had a lot of new dance moves).  I like to dance and after doing the video a couple times was able to catch on to most of the moves.  If you end up trying it, keep us posted!  I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks, crunchycake. I was considering taking a class. I think a real instructor and other class members would be easier for me to follow than a video. Maybe I'll watch a youtube video just to get an idea of it, though. Hopefully it won't scare me off. I can do the Macarena, and that's basically the extent of my Latin dancing skills.

I didn't know they had fitness videos on Netflix... I just did a search... no Zumba but they have a few yoga ones. "Hot Yoga" seems to be aimed at viewers of the feminine persuasion (should have been called "Chippendales Yoga").

I should search for Martial Arts Instruction videos... need to prepare for my next stage of life... inside the Octagon!

homer_simpson said:
I've attended a few classes with my wife.  Very fun, fast paced, and gets the heart rate up!!

They offer classes at 24 hour fitness :)

Is the choreography easy to follow?

traceimage said:
Has anyone ever tried this? Apparently it's some sort of Latin-inspired dance fitness craze. I have about as much coordination and dancing ability as a headless chicken, but I'm sort of interested in trying it out.

OMG Russ loves this! Did you know classical ballet and modern dance are his forte.

traceimage said:
Thanks, crunchycake. I was considering taking a class. I think a real instructor and other class members would be easier for me to follow than a video. Maybe I'll watch a youtube video just to get an idea of it, though. Hopefully it won't scare me off. I can do the Macarena, and that's basically the extent of my Latin dancing skills.

I have to join something with a real instructor and other members. Over the past two years, I have tried so many videos, and books, but nothing worked. I lost interest in two days! Yeah Socal78- the kettlebells do make good door stoppers :)
Let us know how your Zumba worked out- may be I will give it a try too..

irvinehomeshopper said:
traceimage said:

OMG Russ loves this! Did you know classical ballet and modern dance are his forte.

Does he appreciate spastic dance moves performed by someone with absolutely no innate sense of rhythm? If so, then he would probably want to come watch me in my zumba class! And then afterwards, we could go get some ice cream. This is starting to sound like a fun evening!

There are beginner to advanced classes... The moves repeat so you will learn them as you go, obviously the advanced classes has more moves and a faster paced routine.  I say give it a shot!!

durian ice cream is his favorite.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
traceimage said:

Does he appreciate spastic dance moves performed by someone with absolutely no innate sense of rhythm? If so, then he would probably want to come watch me in my zumba class! And then afterwards, we could go get some ice cream. This is starting to sound like a fun evening!

Well, we are going to Baskin Robbins, so he can't have that. Maybe he would like Gold Medal Ribbon or Jamoca Almond Fudge.

Back