[IHB] Irvine Council Members Differ on Inclusion of Set-Aside in Housing Element

No developers will want to set aside 3 % of the units for each of their neighborhoods for the inclusionary units. It hurts the upscale image of the development. No one will want to live next to the dedicated inclusionary units. That 3 % will turn into a 6 % including the units next door as the sacrificial lambs. The strategy will likely be an inclusionary credit system where the developers let say will build one thousand market rate units and the developer will set aside the most inferior piece of land at the worse locations to build the inclusionary units away from the affluents. Not all inclusionary will go to widows with a limited fixed income but rather to families with many children as one of many scenarios. The children will likely attend the finest Irvine schools just like the children from an affluent family. API score will drop by a rate of 3% and parents will be pissed. We will Likely see more private schools in Irvine.

Um, there are already several thousand affordable housing units in IAC apartment complexes, and other complexes that aren't IAC, all around Irvine. And, the city of Irvine has had an inclusionary policy for years. Many of those units are multi-family, with children that are IUSD students. I find it offensive that you would say that low income students lower test scores simply because they are from a low income family.  Not only is that a small minded perception, it flies in the face of existing research of children who have lived in affordable housing.

I agree with you but I am speaking on the behalf of many Irvine residents. I don't even live there.

passingthrough said:
Um, there are already several thousand affordable housing units in IAC apartment complexes, and other complexes that aren't IAC, all around Irvine. And, the city of Irvine has had an inclusionary policy for years. Many of those units are multi-family, with children that are IUSD students. I find it offensive that you would say that low income students lower test scores simply because they are from a low income family.  Not only is that a small minded perception, it flies in the face of existing research of children who have lived in affordable housing.

Back