Need some help with tech stuff..

ps99472

Ok, my iTunes folder is getting out of hand, getting close to 150g on my hard drive... i want to use a secondary hard drive (I have a laptop, so only external)..  what do you guys recommend?  I hear bad reviews of hard drives burning out, losing data, etc... My main purpose is to get rid of that huge folder in my laptop, whats the best way?  I don't see my iTunes folder getting smaller.. it's full of apps, no mp3s.. maybe i can just delete the useless apps i don't use anymore..

not sure how iTunes work, but doesn't Apple keep track of which apps & music tracks you'd paid for and downloaded...?

Android market, keeps great track, I can delete an app that I've bought and re-install it later again from the market on another device if I want to...

I guess, start moving things into the cloud, I've got to take my own advice and upload a backlog of pictures still on microSD cards to my picassa...

Hopefully in the very near future, we won't have a need for removable local storage, wires or cables.  No more: memory slots, SD, micro SD cards, USB drives, USB cables; no more charging adapters, earphone cables and such...

I don't have a Mac laptop/desktop nor an iPad.  I don't have any iDevice so can't really help you.  If you're able to put point iTunes to use another storage location and you put it on an external HDD, I would think that makes your laptop not so mobile for iTunes.  You'd have to lug that thing around everywhere with you.  Are you able to break up iTunes to use multiple "libraries"?  Something like one for your apps, one for music, videos, etc.?  I don't know iTunes so I'm not sure about it's options.  My wife has a Macbook Pro, but I haven't looked at what iTunes can/can't do.

On a similar topic, for our family's storage needs, I've setup a NAS (network attached storage).  It's a two bay hot swappable case.  I've got two 1.5TB drives in it.  They are mirrored so that they contain identical data.  If one drive dies, I swap it out while the other continues to function.  It's connected to our router so all devices in our house that are networked connect to it.  My wife's Macbook is set to store Time Machine backups onto it over the network.  She also stores her raw DSLR images on it.  I've put some videos/movies on it too that we stream to the WD TV Live media player.  It plays out to our TV.  The storage has worked well, except that the capacity could be bigger.

I envision a not too distant future where our cellphones just kind of "hover" next to us.. everything is wireless... it can project images like R2D2 when needed.. the phone will even take a bullet for you if needed...  make sure you install the "bullet" app..

roundcorners said:
not sure how iTunes work, but doesn't Apple keep track of which apps & music tracks you'd paid for and downloaded...?

Android market, keeps great track, I can delete an app that I've bought and re-install it later again from the market on another device if I want to...

I guess, start moving things into the cloud, I've got to take my own advice and upload a backlog of pictures still on microSD cards to my picassa...

Hopefully in the very near future, we won't have a need for removable local storage, wires or cables.  No more: memory slots, SD, micro SD cards, USB drives, USB cables; no more charging adapters, earphone cables and such...

Honestly, I'm still reluctant about cloud storage.  It's much faster than it used to be, but still not equivalent in speed to local storage.  Moving hundreds of megs or gigs to me isn't practical on cloud.  I'm also very unsure about the whole "who owns the data" issue when stored on others' servers.  Then, there's the concern of security.  Anything going to the cloud introduces the possibility of someone hijacking your connection and stealing info.  I think it's really convenient for things like streaming your music, but it's just not for me... at the moment.

ps99472 said:
the phone will even take a bullet for you if needed...  make sure you install the "bullet" app..
You mean "icicle" app.
jvna said:
Honestly, I'm still reluctant about cloud storage.  It's much faster than it used to be, but still not equivalent in speed to local storage.  Moving hundreds of megs or gigs to me isn't practical on cloud.  I'm also very unsure about the whole "who owns the data" issue when stored on others' servers.  Then, there's the concern of security.  Anything going to the cloud introduces the possibility of someone hijacking your connection and stealing info.  I think it's really convenient for things like streaming your music, but it's just not for me... at the moment.
I totally agree with you.

I don't even have my browser save my bank account id/password.

The cloud is good for smaller files that don't tell anyone what your social security number is.

For external HD... almost anything you get should be good... but I would stay away from SimpleTech although they are cheap at Costco.

Stick with the brand names.

I've had a Seagate desktop drive (AC powered) and it's been find for 2+ years... as has my Western Digital portable drive. My SimpleTech drive often requires I hook it up to 2 USB ports (it came with a Y cord) because it doesn't get enough power from a single USB port.

Back