Would you live on major street?

rkp

There are a few houses in woodbury that are awesome for us but they back to trabuco.  The price, lot size, size of house, everything works for us except that dreadful feeling of living on a major road.  What do you guys think?  Anyone live on a major road and care to share their experience?

Curious, have you stood inside of a home, in the backyard, and in the front yard of a home that backs to a major road, say around 5:30pm on a weekday?

I've done it before (house backing to Alton), and I don't see how anyone could stand all that motor noise.

I hate houses backing up on major arterials. Acceleration noise is the worst and I will never buy there and I would not recommend my friends, peers, relatives and associates to buy new or resale what so ever.

We almost bought in Sonoma, the house was second or third to last on Trabuco near Sand Canyon.  I stood in the house on a Sunday afternoon, there was only wood framing and no insulation , paint, or windows yet.  Road noise wasn't too bad and I thought with the windows closed probably doable.  But at that moment a semi roared down Sand Canyon and the house trembled.  That changed my mind.  It probably would've been less severe of a rumble if the house was complete but I wasn't willing to take a $800k chance. 

Avoid Jeffrey, Culver, and Sand canyon at all cost..  Trabuco might be ok now but it is a major artery for the great park and also the new cypress village being built across the way.

rkp said:
There are a few houses in woodbury that are awesome for us but they back to trabuco.  The price, lot size, size of house, everything works for us except that dreadful feeling of living on a major road.  What do you guys think?  Anyone live on a major road and care to share their experience?
The traffic on Jeffery will get worse and worse once they build out Cypress Village and then the Great Park.  There's a reason why homes that back up to big streets sell for a discount.  If you can get a big enough discount and can live with it then go for it.  But always keep in mind your exit strategy because you will want to sell that home eventually so you'll have to deal with a reduced pool of potential buyers in the future.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Ever our master Trojan passed on a great deal on a home next to a seldom used tollway on ramp in West Irvine.
The great view of the tollroad on-ramp from the master bedroom was the big downer for me.  I did like that giant yard though. 

The seller will try to convince you the noise will not be an issue with insulated windows and insulated walls. I heard that one frequently as much as you can always refinance. IHO lived in Westpark against a busy street. He sold his beloved 3CWG.

For me personally, having had that experience, I now follow these 3 rules:

1. No.

2. But if the home is priced really low and it has everything you want... still no.

3. See #1 and #2.

Although I can live with the noise... I'm not the only one in my family. But people do deal with it... or else no one would ever have built a house that's next to a major road.

I have detailed my issues with road noise many times here... too lazy to type them all.

I could find another location much worst than a road or freeway adjacent house. An entire neighborhood below a freeway where you could see trucks traveling on a freeway. Feng Shui is extremely bad and home value will appreciate the least. This is based on historic case studies and I have not found one that is affluent or desirable.

Exactly. I remember a guy once claiming he could sell a Northpark home for $1.1 million dollars that backed to Culver.

I thought we all learned our lesson from that folly.

I have only heard of this legendary debate similar to Rode vs Wade. it was before my time.

IndieDev said:
Exactly. I remember a guy once claiming he could sell a Northpark home for $1.1 million dollars that backed to Culver.

I thought we all learned our lesson from that folly.

thanks for the feedback all.  i knew it wasnt for us but its been very challenging finding a house that we could afford and at the same time felt like something worth all the $$$ we would be throwing at it.  the house in question:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Lookout-92620/home/5959307

ideal layout, big lot with our style of landscaping, CDS street, basically everything we want in a house....except trabuco.  if only this house was interior in woodbury at this kind of price, it would be a slam dunk...

Yeah that is not a great location, especially at that price.

Just read the redfin agent comments, both said that the noise from the road was unmistakable.

On a major arterial like Trabuco, ____ no.  For everything IHO said, he's on target with one nit. 

The hard decision will come in when the house is on or backing the sub-division feeder.  Particularly in Irvine, most traffic in the housing development gets funneled down one or two main single lane roads.  Ajoining them are the cul de sac feeders lined with stop signs.  It's quite amazing how noisy a single lane two way road posted at 25 MPH  is during the end of the work day.

I agree with nosuchreality... which is why backing/siding any street (even "quiet" interior ones) is dicey.

The closer you are to a corner... the worse it is... the acceleration/deceleration of vehicles is actually noisier than them just speeding by.

But... even just one house separation does wonders for baffling noise. Our neighbor asked us why we were moving and I told them about the street noise and they looked at us like we were crazy because they couldn't hear anything (I mind slapped him out of jealousy).

Back