IAC Now Requiring Proof of Renter's Insurance

elgringo

I was told when I stopped in the office for my IAC complex that I had to now provide evidence of Renter's Insurance.  I do have a policy but before I didn't have to prove it.  I was told they would not renew my lease without the proof of insurance.

Has anyone else encountered this?

elgringo said:
I was told when I stopped in the office for my IAC complex that I had to now provide evidence of Renter's Insurance.  I do have a policy but before I didn't have to prove it.  I was told they would not renew my lease without the proof of insurance.

Has anyone else encountered this?

That sounds like a change in policy but it has been a few years since I've lived in a IAC unit. Do they offer you a policy if  you don't have any?

they always required it but you never had to show it...must have changed their policy

IAC and other apartment companies dont care about *your* valuables be insured.  they care about you being able to pay for the damage you could cause.  imagine you accidently left a tap running and flooded the apartment...

Just in case a friend you invited over got drunk and fell over a balcony deck of your 3rd floor unit. Your insurance will cover everything including the chipped sidewalk.

they have required it for a long time, but when I was renting they would just leave notes on my door to turn it in and never bother me about it.  Guess they are getting more strict on the policy

We've been renting with IAC for over a year now, still haven't gotten renter's insurance. They have asked for proof a couple of times, I just avoid them.

Back