Mobile Phone Poll for RoundCorners

What phone do you currently have and/or which one do you plan to get in the future?

• I have an iPhone

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I have an Android

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • I have a Blackberry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a Windows Phone

• I have something else

• I plan on getting an iPhone

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I plan on getting an Android

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I plan on getting a Blackberry

• I plan on getting a Windows Phone

• I plan on cancelling all my wireless accounts and moving to the wilderness

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

So because RoundCorners can't believe Apple sold so many iPhones and iPads, and he thinks that everyone on TI uses Android (when really he's the only one in love with his phone), I've presented this K-Pop trap.

I don't doubt there are a fair amount of iphone users here, Panda, I know for sure, and I remember USC T-Man picking one up...

I know you guys love your phones, and I know a lot of things are similar; but how is it making your live better?  Is all I want to know & share...

If you're indifferent about your -i- device, and see no tangible difference it makes in your real life, that also says volumes...

roundcorners said:
If you're indifferent about your -i- device, and see no tangible difference it makes in your real life, that also says volumes...
Or it could mean you're the only one who is having an intimate affair with their phone.

C'mon... not everyone is going to be like you and tell you how life-changing their phone is... you've totally ignored PS9 who has a thread here just about iOS apps (so that should speak "volumes").

Mrs. IHO used to have a Blackberry, and while she misses the physical keyboard, she's totally hooked on her iPhone, she's on her 2nd model (just upgraded recently) and she's on hers more than I'm on mine. She likes that she can get her email anywhere, uses Redfin and browses the web... it's about connectivity.

just so you guys know... I still get chills and grins ear-to-ear when I use the old Desire, and I find myself still using that for hours on end, most days...

It's still blazing fast, and very useful...

for the coming trade show season, I'm planning on using it as my main show device, where the nexie will hang back and supply the data...

it has great battery life, I can still comfortably watch a full movie on the plane, play display videos/music, display flyers (PDFs, docs), bright crisp and clear...  there are still some little things CM7 & ADW can do that ICS can't...

Oh yeah... how is the battery life on your Nexus?

I hear it's not so good... even on the RAZR which supposedly had built-in battery saving features (which is why they are coming out with the RAZR Maxx... a thicker RAZR with a bigger battery).

I'm leaning to live with the battery, again, I can get 10% drain for every hour consistently... it can also charge 10% every 10 minutes...

I do have a charger at home, in the car and office, it's is almost always 100%, never really dips below 90%...

I don't mind it one bit...

I do appreciate PS9, I just like all Mobile Nations to represent, and talk about tech personally... ok, so maybe not everyone is willing to share personally like me, but I believe most have some visceral connection to their devices...

Since I casually got my mid tier (lower now) Android phone, I'm very into the roms/hacks/devs/tweaks available for the Android ecosystem.  But it's not at the point where I'd choose an Android device over an idevice for family members that aren't as technically inclined.  Case in point... got my wife the a Samsung GS2 and she loves it.  I plan on getting an Android tablet once one comes out that is a must have for me (was hoping the Transformer Prime was that device).  But over the holidays, we got my in-laws and my folks iPad 2's.  They loved them.

I had an iPhone 3G for 2.5 years and loved it at first.  I bought a Nexus S 4G last year and I've been enjoying it more and I don't think I would go back to iOS.  I moved my dad to the Nexus S 4G and he still missed his iPhone.  I'm glad we have two awesome competing platforms -> better for the consumer.  Like jvna, I'm also waiting for a nice Android tablet.  We've had the iPad2 and it is great - although I wish there was a better quality front camera on it.  With the 10 cent app sale that Android had during the holidays, I'm almost app committed to Android now. 

roundcorners said:
I'm leaning to live with the battery, again, I can get 10% drain for every hour consistently... it can also charge 10% every 10 minutes...

I do have a charger at home, in the car and office, it's is almost always 100%, never really dips below 90%...
So... you always have to plug your "mobile" phone in. :D

You should disable Flash, or set the browser to ask you to start Flash content... that will save you some juice... Flash is a known battery hog for Android.

zovall said:
With the 10 cent app sale that Android had during the holidays, I'm almost app committed to Android now. 

Funny you say that because I kinda feel that way too.  I bought a majority of the $0.10 apps that were offered each day.  It was a great marketing move.

Great article out this morning... on WebOS...

Want webOS on your Android tablet? HP hopes sohttp://www.androidcentral.com/hps-hopes-youll-some-webos-your-android-tablet
enyo-touchpad.jpg

This is actually a great development for WebOS, I really do hope that they can make a come back...

The Android mentality is all about choice; the more the better for consumers in the end... So what if there are 100 different devices to choose from, so what if the consumer gets all confused, and frustrated with 5 different skins, you can choose and that is what life is all about...

Android users by default will always want more players, I am all inclusive, I will play with iOS, WebOS, Windows... XYZ-OS cause, that is what we do, I will root for Android, and most likely will continue to open my wallet for Android, but being Android also means, I will want to always be tinkering and playing with my options...

irvinehomeowner said:
I find it interesting there are no Blackberry or Windows Phone users who have responded to the poll yet.

Well, in addition to my personal Android phone, I also carry the company BB phone.  When I get home, it's put on the counter for the night.  I only keep it next to my bed if it's my turn to be on call.  The apps (available and quality of app) for BB are crappy.  For personal use, I would not get a BB.

Hey everyone,

The poll results appear to be somewhat different than the stats gathered by Google Analytics for Talk Irvine.  Aside from the name and social security number of your first born, the types of devices used to visit Talk Irvine are also recorded.

So without further ado, here are the results for what mobile devices were used to visit Talk Irvine over the past 30 days:

chart

1.Apple iPad39.98%
2.Apple iPhone37.87%
3.(not set)4.66%
4.HTC EVO 4G2.77%
5.SonyEricsson LT15i Xperia Arc1.94%
6.Verizon Droid1.53%
7.HTC ADR6400L Thunderbolt 4G1.46%
8.Motorola Droid 21.36%
9.Apple iPod Touch1.14%
10.LG VS910 4G Revolution1.09%

So, Apple totally dominates here.  Personally, I use Android.  8)

Wait... shouldn't Galaxy Nexus or HTC Desire be at the top of that list... roundcorners is on his phone 24 hours a day so you would think that would hit TI the most.

I rarely use anything other than a computer to access TI... I need the physical keyboard to rack up the number of words/posts I throw on there.

But how many people access TI from a phone vs laptop/desktop?  I don't access TI off my Android phone.

jvna said:
But how many people access TI from a phone vs laptop/desktop?  I don't access TI off my Android phone.

Desktops and laptops account for over 80% of the visits to Talk Irvine (88% if you consider an iPad to be more of a non-mobile device).  Here's the breakdown by operating system:

chart

1.Windows65.80%
2.Macintosh 15.07%
3.iPad7.32%
4.iPhone6.93%
5.Android3.40%
6.Linux0.72%
7.BlackBerry0.33%
8.iPod0.21%
9.(not set)0.19%
10.Chrome OS0.01%

During the same time frame one year ago, PC's had 88% of visits (92% including iPads)

Back