Pruning like the pros by Cindy McNatt

cameray

On a recent trip to Northern California along California 99 (called the Garden Highway in those parts) through miles and miles fruit-tree country north of Yuba, I could see that I was pruning my fruit trees wrong. I've got the basics right ? open in the center with a wine-glass shape, reducing the branches to six or 10 strong leaders, but not much else of the "professionally pruned trees" resembled what I had in my back yard.

kut554-b78585395z.120091217094041000g5pld2c4.2.jpg

I suppose farmers figured out that harvesting is easier and faster when you can reach the fruit without a ladder. And maintenance could be done with two feet firmly on the ground.

Most interesting though was the area where the tree trunk divides into the wine glass shape ? it was knee-high on those farms, not shoulder-height like my fruit trees. I've got way too much trunk (translation: unproductive) and not enough area for fruiting branches.

I was also surprised to see how severely topped those trees were. It makes sense after a bit of research: Since the growth hormone auxin causes a shoot or limb to elongate, topping encourages the auxin to move back down the limb to force more fruiting spurs and buds.

Lop off the tops and more fruiting spurs form, and that means more pruning is needed to open up the center to let the light in and get that classic wine glass shape.

You can imagine that one would get twice the fruit on these so-called trees than we are getting with our high-in-the sky pruning techniques.

Pruning fruit trees can be complicated, especially when you factor in the fussy apricots. The basics are to reduce the height and open up the center. For more advanced information about pruning fruit trees and a fruit tasting report, check out DaveWilson.com.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fruit-224607-trees-pruning.html

Thanks for the info. We just had our fruit trees professionally pruned because we didn't know what we were doing. We have some beautiful mature apple and peach trees in our yard and I didn't want to ruin them.

The professionals said it would take a few years to get them just right since they can't take too much off each year.

My lemon tree use to have tons of lemons on it...but now it's bare...is that a pruning problem?...maybe I need to bury some fish heads at the roots...I don't know..

signed
black thumb.

[quote author="zubs"]My lemon tree use to have tons of lemons on it...but now it's bare...is that a pruning problem?...maybe I need to bury some fish heads at the roots...I don't know..

signed
black thumb.[/quote]
I'm not a lemon tree pro, but I remember a friend told me once that her lemon trees didn't produce fruit every year.

Maybe you are on the "off" year.

. . . . or maybe it needs food. If you swing by a gardening shop they can tell you what to give it. I've always used Rogers Gardens in Newport Beach. They are very helpful.

http://www.rogersgardens.com/

Back