Why the new accounts on hold message?

rkp

Saw the announcement on the front page.  Are you getting too much spam or is it a technical limitation?

Too many TIC plants joining the board prior to the marketing blitz of the 2012 Collection.  ;)

I like it! It makes the board more exclusive, and will increase demand for membership. :)

I think new applicants should also have to write an essay about why they want to join, and be subject to approval by a panel of existing members.  ;)

It's a combination of factors. Spam has always been an issue.  I've been working for the site multiple times per day for two years to head spammers off at the pass in order to keep a clean forum for you all. The announcement only applies to new members who don't have an account yet but want to register. I may follow up with a post soon with more info relating to it.

Coto Housing Blog had a terrible time with spammers, but added a Captcha (SP?) fill in that got rid of a big percentage of the baddies.

traceimage said:
I like it! It makes the board more exclusive, and will increase demand for membership. :)

I think new applicants should also have to write an essay about why they want to join, and be subject to approval by a panel of existing members.  ;)

Blog space is finite and you better get your username before the space is all gone.

Yup, been using captcha verification for years along with answering a simple yes/no question: "Are you a spammer?" where they must type the correct answer. They still get passed both fields, answering both questions correctly. The ones that are able to complete registration must then be screened by Mr. SoCal's IP look up spam filter. Some are quickly and easily labeled as spammers which I can instantly reject while others go under the radar. The ones that make it under that radar are then manually screened by me in a 3-step process. Some are very convincing on the surface but are actually spammers who haven't caused enough internet damage yet to make the red flags go off on the spam filters. The manual approval process takes time but it's still better than cleaning up after them once they've been let in like the way we did it on the old IHB forums. During the 3-step process, I sometimes come across personal info like a member's address. Mr. SoCal thought it would be "cool" to instantly perform a ding-dong drop off of a TI mug on their doorstep immediately after they register for an account, however "cool" may also appear "creepy". LOL! How many times has that happened to anyone of us who registered for an account without giving our address? Um, never.

SoCal78 said:
Yup, been using captcha verification for years along with answering a simple yes/no question: "Are you a spammer?" where they must type the correct answer. They still get passed both fields, answering both questions correctly. The ones that are able to complete registration must then be screened by Mr. SoCal's IP look up spam filter. Some are quickly and easily labeled as spammers which I can instantly reject while others go under the radar. The ones that make it under that radar are then manually screened by me in a 3-step process. Some are very convincing on the surface but are actually spammers who haven't caused enough internet damage yet to make the red flags go off on the spam filters. The manual approval process takes time but it's still better than cleaning up after them once they've been let in like the way we did it on the old IHB forums. During the 3-step process, I sometimes come across personal info like a member's address. Mr. SoCal thought it would be "cool" to instantly perform a ding-dong drop off of a TI mug on their doorstep immediately after they register for an account, however "cool" may also appear "creepy". LOL! How many times has that happened to anyone of us who registered for an account without giving our address? Um, never.

Wait, so my TI mug wasn't from you??? ;)

Back