Author Topic: ASUS Transformer Prime  (Read 9122 times)

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 22
Re: ASUS Transformer Prime
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
So I was able to go into a Best Buy during lunch and they had an ASUS Transformer Prime available.  It's a beautiful tablet.  Too bad it's got so many issues.  The 7" tablets felt ok, but a little small for me.  The 8.9" tablet felt pretty good.  But I think a 10.1" tablet will be best for me as I don't plan on lugging it outside the house.

It's funny that when I started looking at the 7" tablets, one of the BB guys came up and said "Please don't buy that.  A new 7" ASUS is coming out that'll blow away all of these."

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2083
  • -Received: 3527
  • 3CWG
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
Uhh... which BB?

Time to make a lunch visit.

The ones I go to... the 7" Galaxy Tab never works.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
It's the one near the 5 fwy and Jamboree on El Camino.  They had applied the Ice Cream Sandwich update on it too.

http://stores.bestbuy.com/774/

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks... looks like it's going to be a weekend visit.
I recommend:

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 62
  • -Received: 37
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
Everyone is making bank here at work; cause, seems like someone is bringing in a new Android device every week around here... feel so behind, that I don't even have a Tab yet...

Another guy here, came in with a Prime, and I've got a few quality hours with it yesterday, very nice and crisp; those 800 meg bootleg movies look great on my HTC but doesn't do the display any justice.  Gotta see how movies are on the thing say around 5-Gigs...  Glow Ball is VERY addicting, and I don't even play shooters, but Shadow Gun is a must have on that thing...

Overall, I kinda expected more from a Tera 3; my phone opens things just as quickly, and there was one PDF that was just SUPER slow; it might have been the PDF itself, but it didn't load correctly, the thing was buggy and I've tried like 5 PDF readers and almost everyone had an error; it couldn't be ICS, or maybe the Prime itself or like I said, might just be the file itself...

The thing is light and easy to hold, typing gets too complicated with the split keyboard... but ok; everything else performs perfectly; this totally feels like HS all over again... all your peers are getting these cool cars, and I end up bumming for rides all day long...
Los Angeles...  Android...  Happy  ~RC

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
Yeah... but don't you have the latest flagship super Nexus phone?
I recommend:

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »
I'm with you there, RC, on the whole missing out on having a tablet.  I'm very anxiously waiting for the upcoming Android tablets to get released.  I'm about to pickup the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 to hold me over until the new models come out, then return it before the 90 days.

The Transformer Prime... yes, beautiful device.  I'd have one now if... the wifi worked better, the GPS worked and the many other issues didn't exist.  I'd read that owners of the device on XDA have pried open the thing (apparently easy to do) to test if the all metal backing is the cause of the RF issues.  Not a good sign for a device.

Offline rkp

• Thanks
  • -Given: 309
  • -Received: 292
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
RC - if you had the dough for a new tablet, which would you go with?  I got my wife an iPad for Xmas and while it's nice for surfing, it sucks for the way I want to use it.  I usually have 10 browser windows open and always flipping around.  Can't do that well on her iPad and then there are things like background downloading that seem to not work well for me.  I think an ICS tablet would be good for me but not sure which one to go with or wait for all the cool stuff from CES to become available.

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 09:29:53 AM »
The WiFi is snappy, but I do sit like 10 feet away from the router; but yeah, Google Maps says that I am where I am, but the weather location keeps saying I'm in San Jose, funny... had to manually set the location; wonder if it'll update automatically...

Personally, I can do without a Tab; the kid is perfectly happy with the HTC as his Tab and my supplementary device... now that our Trade Shows are covered with TWO ICS tabs, I feel even less pressure to get a device for myself...

Also, it's is even more apparently that, a 7" is more my style; so that makes thing easier to decide...

G-Tab 7 (2)...!
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-outed-runs-ics-7-inch-display

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 09:35:17 AM »
The Galaxy Tab 2 is a strange device... it's not much better than the just release Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... Samsung really likes to cannibalize their own product lines.

Despite the GPS issues, the best 10" Android tablet is still the Transformer Prime.

Best 7" tablet is a tie between the Blackberry Playbook and Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... although the Springboard (AKA Huawei Mediapad) is very compelling.

The review on the Galaxy Tab 7.7" has it as one of the best regardless of size... and it has the best battery life of all tablets.
I recommend:

Offline roundcorners

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
The Galaxy Tab 2 is a strange device... it's not much better than the just release Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... Samsung really likes to cannibalize their own product lines.

Despite the GPS issues, the best 10" Android tablet is still the Transformer Prime.

Best 7" tablet is a tie between the Blackberry Playbook and Galaxy Tab 7 Plus... although the Springboard (AKA Huawei Mediapad) is very compelling.

The review on the Galaxy Tab 7.7" has it as one of the best regardless of size... and it has the best battery life of all tablets.

Do you think G-Tab 7 Plus will get ICS first or would the Tab-7 (2) come out first...?  I think the latter, unfortunately... and that is the deciding factor for me...

Is it just me; or was the Spring Board just bright as heck...?  I only had literally 10 seconds with the thing in Westpark T-Mobile store, when the wife ran in the Starbucks next door to get a glass of water, and I excused myself to go into the store...

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
I would get the 7.7 over the GT2... and regardless of whether or not it will get ICS first... it just doesn't make sense.

Release ICS on the 7Plus, release a wifi only version of the 7.7... and you don't even need the GT2. Sammie should have not even released the GT 8.9.

@rc: For you... I think the Galaxy Note is your dream device... half phone, half tablet... a phablet.
I recommend:

Offline jvna

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »

From the various discussion threads about the TP, it's a hit or miss if your device has decent wifi connectivity.  And there's been discussion that a slight bump (like a minor accidental drop from a chair) shifted something (pogo antennae connection) that has resulted in better RF signals.  Yes, it's got the best specs on paper, but too many real world issues.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Snowflakes by Kings
[Today at 12:58:42 PM]

Re: God? by Panda
[Today at 12:10:10 PM]

Re: God? by Mety
[Today at 12:03:22 PM]