Cookies!

evalseraphim

It's that time of year...

Do you have any favorite cookie recipes to share?

I recall making chocolate thumbprint cookies with my Mom as a kid (something similar to these), except that instead of making a chocolate ganache, we would use Hershey's Kisses.

[quote author="evalseraphim"]It's that time of year...

Do you have any favorite cookie recipes to share?

I recall making chocolate thumbprint cookies with my Mom as a kid (something similar to these), except that instead of making a chocolate ganache, we would use Hershey's Kisses.[/quote]
mmmm....chocolate chip cookies....mmmmm =D..........

Ever since I had the best tasting ginger spice cookies at Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg, I have been searching for a similar recipe. The best one I could find was on the back of the candied ginger package they sell at Trader Joes.

I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe that purports to be like Mrs. Fields.... and I also have a great "jam thumbprint" recipe that only has butter, sugar and walnuts, plus the jam topping... if anyone is interested, pm me and I'll send them... didn't want to post if no one was interested.

[quote author="centralcoast"]I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe that purports to be like Mrs. Fields.... and I also have a great "jam thumbprint" recipe that only has butter, sugar and walnuts, plus the jam topping... if anyone is interested, pm me and I'll send them... didn't want to post if no one was interested.[/quote]

I would suggest posting it whether people are interested (today) or not. At some point, everybody needs to make cookies, and the recipe will be here for posterity. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Please share your recipes people- I bake a lot, but don't have anything that I can call my signature recipe when it comes to cookies. May be I should start a dessert thread and share my recipes <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Speaking of cookies and for people who are bakingly challenged (like moi), you should all RUN to your local grocery store right now to pick up Fudge Covered Mint Oreos! OMG minty chocolate heaven!!!

Edited to add: Just ignore that little blurb on the package where it says there are 90 calories per cookie. That is a misprint.

Well, since we've demolished the batch of chocolate cookies in just a day and a half...

Similar to Mrs. Fields Cookies:

1 pound butter, softened
2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Cup granulated sugar

Cream together butter and sugars. Add 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla to mixture, stir well.

Mix together 6 cups of flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of salt.

Add the flour mixture a cup at a time to the butter, sugar and egg batter, mix well. (I don't use a mixer or food processor because it makes the batter too runny and the cookies too thin)

If you can't mix all the flour into the butter/sugar mix, add a 2 tablespoons of water to help mix the dough. The dough will be thick.

Add 12 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips. May also add a cup of walnuts.

Cover cookie sheets with waxed paper. Place about 1 inch sized balls of cookie dough about 1 and half inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 250 degrees (yes, 250... I think the low temperature makes them soft and chewy compared to higher temperature cooking) for 16 to 18 minutes. I use dark brown sugar because with the lighter brown, it's hard to tell if the cookies are "done" - they are done as soon as they no longer look "moist" in the middle.

Let them cool for about 5 minutes on the pan, and then move to a cookie rack, or they get a little too hard.

I think the recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies, but we all eat the cookie dough as we are making them, so I'm not really sure how many you'd get if you didn't eat cookie dough.

Fingerprint cookies (which disappear even faster than the chocolate chip cookies..)

2 Cups flour
3/4 Cup powdered sugar
1 Cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts, but pecans are also good...)
1 Cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
raspberry jam

Combine flour, sugar and 1/2 Cup nuts. With fork, or pastry cutter, cut in butter. Sprinkle vanilla on mixture and mix dough with hands until smooth. Shape into one inch balls, roll in nuts. Place on greased cookie sheet, press center with finger, and fill depression with jam. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes.

Back