Realtor for new home purchasing?

ahbrownell

I was curious if there is value in getting a Realtor when looking to purchase a new home. I've gone to a few of the new builders (Ipac, KB, Lennar, etc.) and I always get the impression that the sales reps don't want buyers to have anybody representing them. What is the general reason to have (or not) to have someone on your side of the table when dealing with new home purchases?

I was thinking that paying the realtor may be an unnecessary expense, but if it means you gain some other advantages - it might be worth it.

Thanks in advance!

ahbrownell said:
I was curious if there is value in getting a Realtor when looking to purchase a new home. I've gone to a few of the new builders (Ipac, KB, Lennar, etc.) and I always get the impression that the sales reps don't want buyers to have anybody representing them. What is the general reason to have (or not) to have someone on your side of the table when dealing with new home purchases?

I was thinking that paying the realtor may be an unnecessary expense, but if it means you gain some other advantages - it might be worth it.

Thanks in advance!
Buyers do not pay their buyer's agent, it's the seller/builder that pays the buyer's agent.  The first and obvious benefit of registering with an agent is having the agent contribute part of the broker co-op to the buyer which is not taxable to the buyer (to pay for closing costs and/or design upgrades).  Other reasons are that an agent might be able to help their buyers to get a better deal (i.e. getting closing cost credits) and provide various referrals.  The most important thing is finding a realtor that you have a good working chemistry with and that is on the same page as you are.

Ah, so if the builder has to pay the agent - that makes sense that they give the impression "you don't need an agent" --- they'd rather save that money.

Thanks for response - many good nuggets in there.

ahbrownell said:
Ah, so if the builder has to pay the agent - that makes sense that they give the impression "you don't need an agent" --- they'd rather save that money.

Thanks for response - many good nuggets in there.
No need for thanks, information is power.  Yeah, it's less money the builder makes on the home sale. I always say to never leave money on the table for the builders, they are making enough money.  Welcome to the forum and don't be shy about posting.

ahbrownell said:

Thanks in advance!

In my recent experience, I'm glad I had a realtor register with me. Sure, there isn't much to do, so negotiate the commission up front. Find out from the builder (online or over the phone) what their broker coop is and find an agent that is willing to split at least 50% or more. Well worth it, especially when you go above that $600k mark...Oh yeah, and be sure to get EVERYTHING in writing.

Goodluck!

rimrattler6 said:
ahbrownell said:

Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, and be sure to get EVERYTHING in writing.
Couldn't agree more!

Back