Retail Openings and Closures

irvinehomeowner

I just read that Jalapeno's in Woodbury closed on Aug 31.

Man, that center is strange when it comes to what survives.

Subway and Tutti Frutti (frozen yogurt ala Yogurtland where you serve yourself and put on toppings) are supposed to open in Woodbury.

The Spicy Crab finally opened in Northwood, but the Yelp reviews are not favorable.

I was walking through The District mall last weekend and there are a lot of closures there, the sandwich wrap place that turned into a Vietnamese place that turned into an Asian restaurant is closed. The Finish Line footwear store is closed. The place next to Thai Bamboo which started as a pot pie place, then something else is now a kabob place (Ka-Boby?) and it was temporarily closed. I don't know if that mall area will ever be thriving.

irvinehomeowner said:
I just read that Jalapeno's in Woodbury closed on Aug 31.

Man, that center is strange when it comes to what survives.

Subway and Tutti Frutti (frozen yogurt ala Yogurtland where you serve yourself and put on toppings) are supposed to open in Woodbury.

The Spicy Crab finally opened in Northwood, but the Yelp reviews are not favorable.

I was walking through The District mall last weekend and there are a lot of closures there, the sandwich wrap place that turned into a Vietnamese place that turned into an Asian restaurant is closed. The Finish Line footwear store is closed. The place next to Thai Bamboo which started as a pot pie place, then something else is now a kabob place (Ka-Boby?) and it was temporarily closed. I don't know if that mall area will ever be thriving.
Oh no, I liked Jalapeno's.  :(  I don't think the site plan layout of the Woodbury shopping center is ideal so retails with iffy locations within the site plan like Jalapeno's suffer the most. 

Haven't been to jalape?os for awhile, remembered their al pastor tacos were the best on the menu, this was the westpark location next to big 5.  Wonder if they ever change the messy salsa scooper spoons they used in the bar. 

The al pastor at Jalapenos is really good... luckily the Westpark location is still open.

They have others in Lake Forest and Tustin and the WP one just recently started doing Taco Tuesdays. They should put a Cafe Rio in Irvine.

I hated pat oscars, seems like cafeteria food except worse.  Only thing good was the breadsticks.  Kids might like it but might as well go to chuck e cheese or shakeys, only reason they lasted this long was because there were no chuck e cheese or shakeys near by

Greek island was ok, too bad they didn't last,  that side of DJ doesn't do as well.  Need a Mandarin Chinese restaurant, maybe a pork chop king venue of that sort

Speaking of Tutti Frutti, I just noticed the one in Quail Hill closed.

Looks like it's being replaced by Le Pho... which I assume is a Vietnamese place. Too bad it wasn't one of the ones near PatStar's area, Pho King.  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
Speaking of Tutti Frutti, I just noticed the one in Quail Hill closed.

Looks like it's being replaced by Le Pho... which I assume is a Vietnamese place. Too bad it wasn't one of the ones near PatStar's area, Pho King.  :p
Tutti Frutti sure didn't last long and neither will that warp place next to it (I went there and it wasn't very good).

Greek Island was right next to Chae Bahn, and BBQ Chicken which are doing great. It's not that side of DJ Plaza that's the problem, it's the $12-$18 entrees at Greek Island that are the problem.

Let's see, I'm an Irvine highschool/UCI kiddie, and I have $20. I can go all out and have a meal at Greek Island and have no more cash to do anything else the rest of the week, or I can go to Chae Bahn twice, or BBQ chicken x3 throughout the week to hangout with my kiddie friends again.

Sometimes business is simple.

Another Pho place is popping up in Irvine... where the Indian restaurant was in the Westpark center off of Alton (next to Round Table and Jalapeno's).

I forgot the name but it's not Pho King.
pho-king-delicious1-297x300.jpg

(since PStar deleted his post)

I think BBQ Chicken is a bit overpriced for what you get... but it's pretty good. Haven't tried Chae Bahn. Has anyone tried the wings place?

I hate Chae Bahn.  WAY overpriced bi-bim-bap and not even tasty. 

Wings is okay...  but not as good (IMO) as kyo chan... 

Just found out Koki's Teppan in the center off Culver and Irvine Center (where 99 Ranch is) closed recently.

It's too bad, we liked that place better than Benihana's and have been going there for years. The family that owned/operated it were really nice.

Some Mongolian Hotpot place is going to replace it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Just found out Koki's Teppan in the center off Culver and Irvine Center (where 99 Ranch is) closed recently.

It's too bad, we liked that place better than Benihana's and have been going there for years. The family that owned/operated it were really nice.

Some Mongolian Hotpot place is going to replace it.

That's going to stink

bones - if you like little sheep, you might like boiling point. it recently opened in irvine (behind denny's near the 5 freeway on culver).

The District keeps dying:

Chaparossa Grill closed recently (the one near the theatres) and it looks like something is happening to Pablo's Cantina because their sign is either being taken down or redone.

Traffic is so bad there and it's not even fully tenanted... they should just raze the mall area and redo that whole section.

Back