The death of an internet forum

winex

Nope, I'm not talking about IHB forums. I want to share something that I have seen in the past with the hope that people will recognize a potential problem exists and prevent this new forum from going down a path I have seen before.

Back in the late 90's, overclocking computer components was popular among a certain segment of the geek population. I was part of that segment, and in 1996/97, Tom's Hardware ( www.tomshardware.com ) was the place to go for people who wanted to get the most out of their hardware.

In addition to having what we would now call a blog, Tom also had a message forum. Given that everyone was still trying to figure out how to monetize the internet, Tom didn't realize the potential to generate revenue that his forum possessed. He hosted his forum on Delphi Forums "for free", and they generated revenue from his traffic. Over time Tom realized that he could easily offset forum hosting costs by advertising, so he severed his relationship with Delphi.

But there was already a large community who preferred the frames based interface of Delphi forums as opposed to the threaded interfaces that most forums software uses, so Delphi was able to keep the community that Tom's Hardware built up by renaming the forum to Extreme Computing. Tom built a new community, but his old community stuck together as a totally unmoderated community.

Over time, changes happened with Delphi management, threads in our community were deleted, certain popular forum members were banned, and other internet offenses occured, so another member and I got together and wrote a forum package that was a clone of the Delphi forums interface. We hosted it on our own servers, and had complete freedom of expression, and though I was technically a moderator of this community, it was still a free speech zone.

In the beginning, the forum we created would generate around 5,000 posts a day. But over time that number started dropping. I haven't checked back in over a year, but it's lucky to get 50 posts a day today.

My analysis of the root cause of the problem is that as life happens, people tend to drift away from communities like this.

If a community has something that can draw new members in, then it will continue to remain a robust community.

If a community forum has nothing to draw new members in, it will eventually die.

You have some momentum here right now. But if this remains a single stand-alone forum, then eventually everyone will drift away as life happens.

My suggestion would be to find ways to draw new people to the community. A blog would be the perfect vehicle, and given the domain name, it wouldn't necessarily have to be centered entirely around real estate.

My personal situation wouldn't allow me to contribute to something like this on a regular basis, but I just thought I would throw the idea out to see what others think.

good point, i think if USC and IR2 have some time they can replace IR here with some technical analysis about the homes, it need not to be exactly same , would be better to throw some view points about the latest listings.

I bet some will think this is funny, but winex got his first exalt from me. But, he makes a really, really great point. I have seen it myself in other forums that have gone and those that have stayed. He knows what he is talking about.

I would be willing to blog once, maybe twice a week... if... and only if I had a deadline and needed to have a post because we would need content on regular basis, and you all (readers) depend on that content.

I want these forums to succeed, and I am more than willing to help make them succeed. I keep asking... what do you (readers) want, and what do you (readers) think will bring in new readers? I know, ping Erika at the Irvine Homes Blog... Now what else?

Side topic but for Winex (or others that wish to chime in too)

What do you think of Toms Hardwares reviews now? Where do you go for PC info now?

I only ask cause right now I mainly do http://www.anandtech.com for reviews, but not really a fan of their forums.

One forum I really like as a community and also love their as a layout is www.neowin.net
The guys in their tech stuff seem to really know their stuff!

What do you guys think of the layout of http://www.neowin.net/forum/

I'm not sure how the copyright/patents work for forums and stuff. Do you have to come out with your own layout and can't use another sites?

And... for the record, I would be more than happy to blog about something more than housing, like food or the arts that are happening around OC and LA. And... it would be great if we could get someone like EvaL to blog about food/wine/general happenings around OC too. Maybe Cameray could add to that category, and link her "deals" on a monthly basis? You know, graph blogs every Monday... EvaL/Cameray blogs every third Friday of the month.

Anyone else have an idea of how they can contribute? *cough* Bk posting a monthly architectural/aesthetic/feng shui post *cough*. What about Deuce doing a monthly Irvine sales report and REO/short sales report for Irvine? Maybe a roundcorners photo based construction update? The ideas are endless if people are willing to contribute.

I stopped reading Tom's Hardware a long time ago. If I ever need to get performance numbers on a video card for a new system I am building, I may quickly go there, or to Anand or HardOCP, but given the power of modern hardware, I don't replace my computers as often as I used to. (I still have 5 that I use, but they stick around longer than they used to)

Also, two things have changed the impact my direct interest in overclocking. One is that there is less financial incentive to overclock than there used to be. (The first thing I overclocked was a Pentium 75 when I learned that changing a single jumper on the motherboard could give me a Pentium 90. Of course the hey day of over clocking was when you could take a $90 Celeron 300a and get it to outperform a $450 Pentium II 450.) Sure, I still buy Tuniq Towers for all my desktop machines and I still overclock, but the days where I did extreme stuff like water cooled peltiers are long gone. I don't have the time for that kind of stuff, good hardware is cheap, and I make a lot more money than I used to when I was into extreme overclocking.

That all having been said, if I really wanted to be on the cutting edge of hardware, I'd spend time in the forums of www.extremeoverclocking.com

As far as look and feel issues are concerned, that issue was settled a long time ago in a lawsuit from Lotus against Borland based on Quattro Pro having a compatibility layer that made Lotus 1-2-3 users feel comfortable. You can't copyright or patent software look and feel.

I have never been comfortable enough to overclock with systems I built. I felt proud just in the fact I put them together and they turned on! haha I did play around with an AMD 3200+ on my first one but other than that I see what you are saying. AMD bringing good CPU"s to the table really forced Intel to step up and now we are benifiting with some great CPU's at an awesome price. Same with memory and GPU's.

I'll be sure to check out hardocp though, I know I have read some reviews when googling specific CPU's and graphics cards.

As for Graph, I cant really think of anything I bring to the table other than football/basketball, movies (I see a lot).

I think having SGIP give a monthly update on loan terms, underwriting standards, etc. would be awesome. Trojan updating on some things he seeings from the buyers side. IR2 does more than enough with his own website, but maybe he would like to have one day month which is the official dau he releases his data. Let me know what you think of those. I'll go through the member list and try to think of more ideas but thats all for now.

I just noticed the TalkIrvine logo at the top. Who came up with that? Its looks sweet. Only think I'm think is if we could have an irvine landmark in as a letter. Like maybe one of the I's is the irvine spectrum obelisk?

I agree that there needs to be a baseline topic to any forum... a leading voice that draws in a "unique selling proposition" to the site... there needs to be a constant stream of new blood, yes I agree that makes posting and reading interesting and there will be turnover...

What I don't agree is that I don't necessary need 5000 posts... tomshardware sounds like a forum that was just finding where its water level is... it might have been the only site at the time but when other more specific sites came online, people might have leave for that reason...

The point is that we need to cater to a specific audience, we don't need to cater to everyone...

[quote author="graphrix"]And... for the record, I would be more than happy to blog about something more than housing, like food or the arts that are happening around OC and LA. And... it would be great if we could get someone like EvaL to blog about food/wine/general happenings around OC too. Maybe Cameray could add to that category, and link her "deals" on a monthly basis? You know, graph blogs every Monday... EvaL/Cameray blogs every third Friday of the month.

Anyone else have an idea of how they can contribute? *cough* Bk posting a monthly architectural/aesthetic/feng shui post *cough*. What about Deuce doing a monthly Irvine sales report and REO/short sales report for Irvine? Maybe a roundcorners photo based construction update? The ideas are endless if people are willing to contribute.[/quote]

graph... we appreciate your willingness to help... the model has to be sustainable... we don't want you to burn out... I'll try to put together a poll to see what kinds of contents people are looking for and what purpose does TI serve in their lives...

Also, a weekly post might suffice... a quality post discussed, might be better than a daily blog...

[quote author="25inIrvine"]I just noticed the TalkIrvine logo at the top. Who came up with that? Its looks sweet. Only think I'm think is if we could have an irvine landmark in as a letter. Like maybe one of the I's is the irvine spectrum obelisk?[/quote]

Actually, it is a type of landmark in Irvine. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> I took this photo on the large grassy mound at Cascade Park in Quail Hill - the one with the bench high up on the hill and scenic views. The small figure is SoCal Jr. The photo is entirely unaltered except for the letters, of course. My thanks to our IT guy for making it into a banner.

I'm loving the obelisk idea, btw.

It reminds me of the Big Fish logo

big-fish-movie-poster-1.jpg

By the way, thanks for all your suggestions on the direction of the site and offers to help out. (Great to see you back, Winex!)

Initially, I knew I would just be happy if this site could serve, as somebody put it - a "landing spot" to help you all transition from the loss of IHB since it was ending whether there was a new place to go or not. If only a handful of people end up using it to keep their connections going, then it's worth it to me. I didn't create this with expectations of growth so anything more than that would exceed my hopes and would be a really nice thing. I would definitely be interested in seeing guest-spots on a blog, with in-depth posts regarding local matters. There is such a good resource of people here already. I thank you all for being motivated to make the most of this new site.

Glad to have you here winex... and a great opening post.

I remember TomsHardware back in the day, but back then, they were the only choice. I hadn't realized there was so much going on in the background with them. I noticed sometime after, that Anandtech seemed to suit my needs better and interestingly enough, I never really went to ExtremeComputing.

But I think what lent more to them being less trafficked was the cost of hardware systems. Back then, it was much cheaper to build your own so a lot of questions/answers were sought. Nowadays, it's cheaper to buy the systems pre-built and since most average users don't care about overclocking, video card speed and such... the need became smaller. And of course the blurring of what is the actual "speed" of a processor didn't help. The people left are the hardcore gamers and the enthusiasts.

In contrast, TalkIrvine will probably always have material to talk about since it's more of a lifestyle site rather than a niche one. Even people who aren't from Irvine (which seems to be a majority) will find this site interesting because there is a commonality in regards to real estate, communities, resale homes and new construction.

I'm not even sure how many of the blog readers actually went over to the forums but I do agree that other content would also be a good pull and stay feature. But I would like to see more interaction between the two. For instance, a blog article's comments section would actually be a thread on the forum so that forum regulars can see what's going on in the blog, and blog regulars can become part of the forum. This eliminates the possibility to comment anonymously which may stifle contributions but in the end, it helps grow the community more.

Great suggestions... and I agree with you, TalkIrvine is actually a great domain name to talk about things not just RE related.

EDIT: I Exalted you for this thread.

what you could do is try to get the people that write blogs like:

Housing Kaboom
Coto housing blog
RE in LBC

Try to get them to put the forum link into their main page. They don't have forums themselves, but they do have an audience that will be able to click here.

You could also try to find people who blog about irvine to link to your forums as well.

calshabu.blogspot.com

etc.

[quote author="tyr"]
[quote author="25inIrvine"]It reminds me of the Big Fish logo[/quote]

The colors are so vibrant that I thought it was a screen capture from a Pixar film. If that's a real, untouched photo, it's fantastic. And a great logo for TI![/quote]

Agree completely. Even looking at it now it still looks animated! Amazing picture.

Winex welcome over here.

My son and I used to overclock PC`s for his online gaming. Nowdays they are so fast its almost useless to fool with them other than add the very latest Graphics Card and a 3 Terabyte SAS RAID Array.

I belong to Experts Exchange
http://www.experts-exchange.com/
This site does very well. Its like $ 10.00 a month. Its where I go when I get stumped with a computer problem.

IrvineTalk.

This new site will do very well. Just give it time. Its like a new child with really good parents. I look forward to watching it mature.

I think Winex makes an excellent point. The forums definitely need new members in order to thrive. I think some great blog entries would be great at drawing people in, if the topics are google-able. Like if someone's googling Irvine (or Irvine schools, Irvine restaurants, etc), would Talk Irvine come up?

I also think the tone of the forums needs to be welcoming to new members. Sometimes it's intimidating to join an online community if it seems like everyone's a longtime poster. I was a little intimidated to start posting at IHB because of this. It's hard being the newbie when everyone else is already friends.

Years ago, I used to be a moderator on a forum and we used to have a special thread for introductions. New members would post up a schpiel about themselves, and all the moderators (and regular posters, if they wanted to) would post and say hi. Kinda dorky, but I think it made people feel welcome. Maybe when the Talk Irvine forums are established a little more, we could do something like that. Or maybe we could have a special sticky post with a little story about how the forums got started, or explaining some of the inside jokes, or even introducing some of the quirks of the well-known posters here (eg how IHO loves 3-car garages, etc). Just some thoughts...

Back