What happened to the IHB and some suggestions...

irvinehomeowner

So obviously I'm here because of zovall's announcement that the IHB forums are closing. I'm assuming it's because of their business model but it's still sad to see that happen.

As for my suggestions here, would it be possible to at least mimic some of the forum sections on the old IHB, such as Irvine Real Estate, Orange County Real Estate and Outside of Orange County Real Estate?

We also need an Off Topic / Watercooler section.

Hey, everybody! Hey, IHO!

Welcome to the new site. I know it will never be the same as IHB but hope it could serve some sort of purpose whether it's temporary or as a new home for many of you. Over the next several days, we can talk about what people would like to see and get situated. (I can absolutely add a Water Cooler section.)

To answer your question -- yes, the real estate sections are noticeably absent. That is intentional at this time. Zovall does care about the community aspect continuing and has allowed us enough time to form a plan to continue. However, he is a broker now and does not wish to send traffic to another real-estate related site. He has kindly offered to leave the link to this site up temporarily in his announcement. We have agreed that while it is up, there will not be a real estate forum to respect his wishes. He is aware that conversation will naturally evolve here and it will come up. When it does, appropriate boards will be added. I hope this helps to clear it up a little bit. I agree it is sad this had to happen, but I am thankful for everybody who has been on IHB, including IR and it's creator, Zovall , as well as those who want to continue the spirit of community that was developed by coming here.

I looked at the posting guidelines. I saw this:

We prohibit content promoting the use of illegal drugs . . .

and realized that 75% of No_Vas' comments / pics would violate the TOS. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]So obviously I'm here because of zovall's announcement that the IHB forums are closing. I'm assuming it's because of their business model but it's still sad to see that happen. [/quote]

And yet another reason where I will be careful where I place my patronage, if you know what I mean.

As for my suggestions here, would it be possible to at least mimic some of the forum sections on the old IHB, such as Irvine Real Estate, Orange County Real Estate and Outside of Orange County Real Estate?

We also need an Off Topic / Watercooler section.

And a "Thank you" button! We can't forget a "Thank you" button.

Re: the thank-you button. I will look into to see if it could be added. I had tried previously with not much luck. There are many options here but limited in the way of coding. As a pseudo-alternative, I hope you will enjoy the "Exalt" and "Smite" buttons displayed on your left in each user's mini profile. They are tallied in the same way as a thanks.

[quote author="evalseraphim"]And a "Thank you" button! We can't forget a "Thank you" button.[/quote]

It's gonna be a while...

G: Hey honey, I just posted on IrvineTalk!

C: Okay...

G: LOL!

Maybe... some time after the first of the year.

Of course I'm first to whine... it's how I roll!

Wow... no RE talk? Isn't that the heart of our IHB forum community? Sure we go off on other tangents like OC Housewives, Yoda racism, USC coupons and roundcorner polls... but RE is our baseline.

My other concern is many of the active IHB members aren't even Irvine-centric.

Oh well... I take it that Karma is like 'Thanks' but I notice there is no option in the profile for email notification of replies.

I'm really liking the exalt/smite buttons. I don't know what they do...but they are intriguing!

[quote author="SoCal78"]Re: the thank-you button. I will look into to see if it could be added. I had tried previously with not much luck. There are many options here but limited in the way of coding. As a pseudo-alternative, I hope you will enjoy the "Exalt" and "Smite" buttons displayed on your left in each user's mini profile. They are tallied in the same way as a thanks.[/quote]

I did not see those. Thanks for pointing them out.

And really, thank you for setting this up. I think it is terribly short sighted to kill the IHB forums, but as I often said, it's Z's site and he can do with it what he wants.

I am suddenly reminded of those times when my then-church would be folded into another congregation or move to a new building. It was pointed out that the church was the people, and not the building. I think the same holds true here - it is the people, and not the software (although I miss my blue "IHB" layout already).

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Oh well... I take it that Karma is like 'Thanks' but I notice there is no option in the profile for email notification of replies.[/quote]

Yes, you do also have the option for email (or PM) notification of thread replies. Go to your Profile and select the "bookmarks" tab to set your preferences. When you are ready to bookmark a thread, see the bottom-left-hand corner for the option.

So... if I have a Real Estate question... I post it where? On the main blog of the IHB?

Man... I respect zovall and IR but I wish they would give us more lead time. Wasn't there some post where Larry said that the forums would always remain even when IHB monetized itself?

Maybe I should start up the IHOB? Just kidding... I don't want to start a Trooper incident.

[quote author="SoCal78"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Oh well... I take it that Karma is like 'Thanks' but I notice there is no option in the profile for email notification of replies.[/quote]

Yes, you do also have the option for email (or PM) notification of thread replies. Go to your Profile and select the "bookmarks" tab to set your preferences. When you are ready to bookmark a thread, see the bottom-left-hand corner for the option.[/quote]

I know we're not supposed to talk real estate, but this is a lot like moving into a new house. "Where are the coffee cups? Where are my shoes? Where is the hair dryer?"

Hehehe. Yeah, that is true, Eva. I know it doesn't feel like home yet... but at least it has that "new blog smell!" ;D

I realize this isn't (yet) the fanciest forum you all ever laid eyes on but I just couldn't let the online community get severed completely so although it's not perfect, I hope it's "good 'nuf" for now. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

Absolutely! I know it was a good amount of work to set up and to negotiate the switch. I really appreciate it! In fact, if we have a TI meet-up, I owe you a drink!

[quote author="evalseraphim"]Huh. I gave exaltations to Graph and now I can't exalt (or smite) anyone anymore.

Am I limited to one a day?[/quote]

You are correct. I hadn't realized it until you pointed it out, but apparently if a user adjusts another member's Karma level (through an exalt or smite) and then tries to do the same again right away, it gives the user this message:

""You may only modify a member's karma once each hour. You will be able to exalt or smite again at... (date, hour, minutes)"

On another note, I would be happy to kick in some help for the costs related to hosting the forums (software, hosting fees, etc.) if there were a way to do so. I'd like to see the community live-on, past the IHB (which is certainly doomed to extinction now) because the amount of information was just stunning an irreplaceable.

Back