iPhone 14 Pro... from notch to island

irvinehomeowner

I never liked the notch... I don't like the island either:
https://www.engadget.com/apple-iphone-14-pro-dynamic-island-181347737.html

46b15e80-2ede-11ed-b3d6-b1cb863a3967.cf.webp

... Apple has done away with the notch, which first arrived with the iPhone X way back in 2017. Instead, there's a large cutout Apple is calling the "Dynamic Island," which can expand via software to include notifications and other app information. The result is a portion of the screen that looks, well, very dynamic.

Bleh.

the pill shape is distinctive, same as the Apple Watch Ultra. People with disposable income will just buy the iPhone 14 Pro Max and Apple Watch Ultra as status symbol to show off/flex...too bad the new AirPod Pro is not as distinctive vs the last generation one.

Was at Snooze in the Marketplace today.... drove by Best Buy and saw some hoopla outside and realized today was release day for the iPhone 14.

It's not like days past where you would see long lines but I find it interesting that Apple still generates buzz 15 years later.

I think it's finally time for me to upgrade... but I still don't like the notch or FaceID, was hoping they would come out with a model with in-screen fingerprint reader or side lock button TouchID. Maybe I can hold out for the iPhone XV.

so SE2?  still has touchID.

irvinehomeowner said:
Was at Snooze in the Marketplace today.... drove by Best Buy and saw some hoopla outside and realized today was release day for the iPhone 14.

It's not like days past where you would see long lines but I find it interesting that Apple still generates buzz 15 years later.

I think it's finally time for me to upgrade... but I still don't like the notch or FaceID, was hoping they would come out with a model with in-screen fingerprint reader or side lock button TouchID. Maybe I can hold out for the iPhone XV.

I got the 14 pro yesterday. I had not upgraded in 3 years. I ended up using the Apple quick start to transfer all of the data and was surprised how easy/fast it was. It was my first time using it. Would definitely recommend that to transfer all of your data.

The 14 pro seems a little faster than the 11 pro. The camera is supposed to be better not sure I can tell the difference for regular pics but haven?t really tested it out. I did take a video today outdoors and the zoom on it was better and the video was noticeably better.

Although the price isn?t bad at all as att was giving an 800 credit for the 11 pro. So my net price is 500 over 3 years. My wife got the 14 pro max and the net price for hers was $400 since the trade in credit was $1,000 for the 11 pro max.

I got the kids the 14 plus but those don?t ship out for another 3 weeks or so.  I?m curious to see the video difference on the plus vs the pro.

I just noticed that on the IPhone 14 I get the 5G+ vs the LTE on the 11. That 5G+ is pretty dam fast. 413 mbps download and 13 mbps for upload. The download is faster than my home WiFi.

Now I?m wondering if I should drop Cox and the $160/month I pay for internet and switch over to Verizon home 5G.

Does anyone have the Verizon 5G home internet? If so, does it work well?

qwerty said:
I just noticed that on the IPhone 14 I get the 5G+ vs the LTE on the 11. That 5G+ is pretty dam fast. 413 mbps download and 13 mbps for upload. The download is faster than my home WiFi.

Now I?m wondering if I should drop Cox and the $160/month I pay for internet and switch over to Verizon home 5G.

$160/month for internet? That's 1Gbps + TV, right?

The $160 is for 1GB internet ($100) then I pay an extra $50 for the unlimited data plan and the $10 a phone line. I?ve tried on and off to cancel the phone line and every time they tell me I would lose a bundle discount and my bill would actually go up so I end up keeping it.

If you have an 11 or lower... consider moving up... but if you are on 12/13... you can wait.

And the SE 2022 is too small at 4.7", I can barely read my Plus. :(

irvinehomeowner said:
If you have an 11 or lower... consider moving up... but if you are on 12/13... you can wait.

I still have my iPhone X. Don't really feel the need to move up. I'll do with when LTE goes obsolete.  ;D

qwerty said:
The $160 is for 1GB internet ($100) then I pay an extra $50 for the unlimited data plan and the $10 a phone line. I?ve tried on and off to cancel the phone line and every time they tell me I would lose a bundle discount and my bill would actually go up so I end up keeping it.

Isn't it $65 for 1Gbps internet at Cox?

latency is always a concern with wireless backhaul using cellular. But if you are not a gamer the latency is not a big issue.

qwerty said:

Ordered 14 Pro Max but it will not arrive until 3rd week of October?.Apple?s strategy of pushing users to purchase the pro version (higher ASP/profit margin) seems to be working?.

CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I still have my iPhone X. Don't really feel the need to move up. I'll do with when LTE goes obsolete.  ;D

CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I have an even older model... but LTE is plenty fast... and the X/11 series are still okay... but if someone wants 5G, you have to go 12 or higher.

I think I'm going to hold out until the 15... although rumor is that 15 and up will have the island over the notch... and I just don't understand that design decision... easier to deal with a straight edge.

When I take a picture in low light with my iphone13, it looks better than my wife's XS.
So I expect the 14 to have even better low light functions.

CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

As nice as the X is , the camera technology alone is worth the jump. I moved from a X to a 12 pro and was blown away by nighttime photos. The combination of a better lens and proprietary Deep Fusion image processing is incredible. I can only imagine how much better the 14 pro is over the X's camera.

I'm one of those people who don't really pay attention to sound quality, picture quality or camera quality.

So I don't really care how my auto stereo sounds, what the refresh rate is on my big screen or how many pixels my phone camera has... just is it loud, is it big, does it take pictures?

:)

iacrenter said:
CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

As nice as the X is , the camera technology alone is worth the jump. I moved from a X to a 12 pro and was blown away by nighttime photos. The combination of a better lens and proprietary Deep Fusion image processing is incredible. I can only imagine how much better the 14 pro is over the X's camera.

I don't really use the camera much, so there's no need for me to upgrade.

CalBears96 said:
iacrenter said:
CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I don't really use the camera much, so there's no need for me to upgrade.

I value the camera right now because I have younger kids and want high quality pics. I?m guessing once the kids are older o won?t give a shit about the camera.

Back