Author Topic: The Hypocrisy of Electric Vehicles  (Read 2888 times)

Offline linus

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 6
Re: The Hypocrisy of Electric Vehicles
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 11:30:05 PM »
I bought my Tesla Y in JAN of 2022.
Can I get the $7,500 tax credit? 

Nope, that falls under old tax credit timeline and Tesla exhausted their credits a few years ago.

And the new bill limits the MSRP to $55k, so any Tesla other than Model 3 base still won't qualify anyway.

It's $55k for cars but $80k for SUVs and trucks, so Model Y would qualify (and most likely the only Tesla that would qualify until Cybertruck if it will ever arrive).  In fact, Model 3 RWD won't qualify since the LFP battery is Made in China

Offline morekaos

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 677
  • -Received: 613
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 08:23:49 AM »
Well the manufacturers seem to have read the bill…and they come to the same conclusion…Unicorns and Rainbows…

Rivian Says Electric Vehicles Won’t Qualify For Tax Credits

Electric-vehicle maker Rivian Automotive (RIVN) says that many of its models won’t qualify for
new U.S. tax credits.

The Irvine, California-based company said that its R1 series of electric pick-up trucks and SUVs
is not likely to benefit from tax incentives in the new U.S. energy and climate bill that was
passed by the American Senate earlier this week.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2802
  • -Received: 4115
  • 3CWG
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 01:01:58 PM »
Eventually, most buyers of EVs won't need any incentives.

GM and Tesla have been out of credits for years yet they sell their EVs like crazy.

The Model Y is on track to become the best selling car... not just EV... but car (including ICE) in the world:

https://screenrant.com/tesla-model-y-worlds-best-selling-vehicle-2023-musk/

And the 2023 Chevy Bolt is one of the most affordable over 200mi range EVs... where as the standard range Leaf can be had for less than $25k with the current Fed credit.

EVs are already here... way past unicron/rainbow wishing.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 158
  • -Received: 587
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 06:18:22 PM »
Running to the IE to deal with the rental is $20 in gas a day and $20 in tolls.

I could choose to sit on the 91/15 for an extra hour or more and save $20.

$20/day in gas and $100 tank fills start to register for most people.  Been seeing the pickups swiping twice to fill their tanks.

Offline Danimal

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 31
  • -Received: 48
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »

Nope, that falls under old tax credit timeline and Tesla exhausted their credits a few years ago.

And the new bill limits the MSRP to $55k, so any Tesla other than Model 3 base still won't qualify anyway.

It's $55k for cars but $80k for SUVs and trucks, so Model Y would qualify (and most likely the only Tesla that would qualify until Cybertruck if it will ever arrive).  In fact, Model 3 RWD won't qualify since the LFP battery is Made in China

Only qualify for $7,500 if buyers have income of $150k single or $300k couple or less.  These democrat jackasses always manage to screw up Irvine middle class. 😤

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 169
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2022, 07:04:18 PM »

Only qualify for $7,500 if buyers have income of $150k single or $300k couple or less.  These democrat jackasses always manage to screw up Irvine middle class. 😤

The income cutoff is too low. Should be $250k for single or $500k for couples, at the least. Middle class is screwed by both parties. Democrats only care about the poor and Republicans about the rich.

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 40
  • -Received: 97
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2022, 11:25:16 PM »

The income cutoff is too low. Should be $250k for single or $500k for couples, at the least. Middle class is screwed by both parties. Democrats only care about the poor and Republicans about the rich.

Why on earth does a couple making more than $300K a year need a tax credit to buy an EV? I'm not even going to talk about the $500K number...

Here we are subsidizing a bunch of car makers that have 0 incentives to start making affordable EVs...I wish they kept the limit per models to 200K and they capped the MSRP limit harder like the California CVRP.

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 169
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2022, 12:01:34 AM »

Why on earth does a couple making more than $300K a year need a tax credit to buy an EV? I'm not even going to talk about the $500K number...

Here we are subsidizing a bunch of car makers that have 0 incentives to start making affordable EVs...I wish they kept the limit per models to 200K and they capped the MSRP limit harder like the California CVRP.

You may have a point of if you were talking about a couple living in Kansas.  What does $300k a year get you in OC or SV?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 102
  • -Received: 45
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »
Hypocrites have derailed the thread into a giddy "Government gimme" discussion.  Nobody cares that Teslas are the most unreliable car in America.  Nobody cares that they're dependent on fossil fuel burning power plants.   
In California, they're status symbols feigning, pretending, "I've got more money than you and I CARE about the environment more too."

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 794
  • -Received: 239
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2022, 08:30:38 PM »
EVs are here regardless of this bill.. but this bill is kinda whack - the rules are pretty convoluted on what will actually qualify in 2023 - I guess we’ll find out soon.

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2022, 08:01:46 PM »
The hypocritical European Union is building 27 more coal fired electrical generating plants, bringing their total to 495.

Turkey 93 new ones, to total 149.

South Africa, 24 new to 103 total.

India 446 to total 1,036.

Philippines 60 more to total 79.

South Korea 26 to total 84.

Japan 45 >>> 135.

Biden's pals, China, 1,171 new coal fired electrical generating plants to total 3,534.

Wait for it, wait for it..... Australia is shutting down its 6 coal fired electrical generating plants, to save the world!

Tesla owners should be VERY HAPPY!!!

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 677
  • -Received: 613
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2022, 08:36:09 AM »
Wait…I thought they were creating “green jobs”?  Ohhhhh, I see they are creating “green jobs” in Mexico…got it

Ford Confirms Layoffs, Says It Is Cutting About 3,000 Jobs
Company has been slashing costs as it makes a transition to electric vehicles

Last year, Ford reportedly planned to relocate a $900 million investment intended for an Ohio plant to a site in Mexico, the United Auto Workers (UAW) union alleged at the time.

https://archive.ph/2HAHG#selection-99.5-103.77

Offline OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 97
  • -Received: 92
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2022, 01:55:57 PM »
Wait…I thought they were creating “green jobs”?  Ohhhhh, I see they are creating “green jobs” in Mexico…got it

Ford Confirms Layoffs, Says It Is Cutting About 3,000 Jobs
Company has been slashing costs as it makes a transition to electric vehicles

Last year, Ford reportedly planned to relocate a $900 million investment intended for an Ohio plant to a site in Mexico, the United Auto Workers (UAW) union alleged at the time.

https://archive.ph/2HAHG#selection-99.5-103.77
The sad part is all of this investment will be wasted - they've already had to recall the Mach E for battery overheating. They are so far behind Tesla there is no path for them to make profitable EVs.

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2022, 05:36:17 PM »
Fools wear masks to "protect" them, get Covid injections for the same misguided reason, and drive Teslas for different misguided reasons chief of which is virtue posturing, i.e. bragging rights.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal