OC Power Authority

iacrenter

Anyone get the notice regarding the Orange County Power Authority starting October 1, 2022?
https://www.ocpower.org

Unless you opt out, you will automatically be enrolled in the new power company for Irvine, Huntington Beach, Buena Park, and Fullerton.

There will be 3 residential rate plans: Basic (38% renewable), Smart (69% renewable), and 100% Renewable.

More background about the new energy group:
https://www.cityofirvine.org/energy/community-choice-energy

to what I know, it's a pretty shitty deal over all.

It's not rare for city to buy power at bulk rate then charges their residents at a discounted price.

OCPA is one of the few ones I know that actually increases the cost of electricity.

nosuchreality said:

That OCPA flyer shows that SCE has a 100% Green plan that is the cheapest of all?
How did something like this get approved as an opt-out versus an opt-in? And they muscled SCE into doing so? Must be some pretty powerful and shady people. Please do point out if this is a better deal for residents - it certainly doesn?t seem like it.

I don't get it..for SCE the greener the less expensive and for OCPA the greener the more expensive? For OCPA case, why would any one choose the more expensive plan? virtue signaling?

The California Court Company said:
I don't get it..for SCE the greener the less expensive and for OCPA the greener the more expensive? For OCPA case, why would any one choose the more expensive more green plan? virtue signaling?

And if you check the website, 100% green is the default plan too.

I opted out few days ago. Someone from gov is getting paid big bucks for allowing automatic opt-in.

zovall said:
nosuchreality said:

That OCPA flyer shows that SCE has a 100% Green plan that is the cheapest of all?
How did something like this get approved as an opt-out versus an opt-in? And they muscled SCE into doing so? Must be some pretty powerful and shady people. Please do point out if this is a better deal for residents - it certainly doesn?t seem like it.

You can?t get in those plans, they?re fully subscribed. I wonder if they?re fully subscribed by the CCAs which then profit from it.

It?s a creative voluntary tax for the cities.  How much does OCPA kick back, oops, I mean pay in concessionaire fees, a year?

Everybody remembers the 10% electric bill reduction mandated by proposition years ago correct?  Paid for by a TTA fee added to your bill, buried on page 2 or 3 in the nitty gritty details of your charges, it covered the bonds to pay for the discount up front.  It was usually close to twice the amount of your discount.

Maserson said:
I just opted out. You'll need your SCE customer account # and not the Service account #.

I entered my SCE customer account # since it needs 12 digits. I don't know if it's because it's a new account. I just moved in end of May and opened the account beginning of June.

Back