**Renter Laws / Protection** Help?

IrvineFam

Hi, I've been researching renter protection laws in regards to rent increases.  Are there are any rent increase protections for Irvine or Orange County?

My lease is ending for my condo/townhouse.  I've been in it since 2020 so obviously the market rate has changed.  The landlord wants to increase my rent by roughly 30%.  Can they do that? If so, do they need to give me a written 60 day notice (I've been in the rental more than 2 yrs)?  Ive never missed rent or late payment or damaged the property.  Can they just kick me out and find a new tenant?  Landlord is private owner not Irvine Company. 

Thank you in advanced for any info that can help my situation.

The best bet is to have an open and honest discussion with your land lord. Tell them to reconsider lowering the rate of increase since you are a good tenants and been paid on time and taking good care of the property.

The math and current housing situations is in favor of land lord for along time.

First go to zillow and check out how much current market rent is for your area.
Now you kind of know how much your landlord can get if they kick you out and get a new tenant.

Now use your historically good payment and hassle-free history to ask him for a lower contract rate.

Please update us on what the Zillow rent comparable estimates vs. your 30% increase.  Is the landlord lower than zillow?  Cause then he'll think he's doing you a favor.

zubs said:
First go to zillow and check out how much current market rent is for your area.
Now you kind of know how much your landlord can get if they kick you out and get a new tenant.

Now use your historically good payment and hassle-free history to ask him for a lower contract rate.

Please update us on what the Zillow rent comparable estimates vs. your 30% increase.  Is the landlord lower than zillow?  Cause then he'll think he's doing you a favor.

Unfortunately for the OP, rents are up 20-25% YOY so a 30% rent increase isn't unreasonable if they want to get back to the market rent.  However, if you are a good tenant that pays on time then a conversation with the landlord may be worthwhile.

I only increased my renters nut by 6%. 
So I'm doing them a favor.

Lucky renters only have to pay 6% more.....worship me....LOL

Back