Turtle Ridge vs Turtle Rock vs Turtle Rock Crest

K15nguye

I am looking to buy and budget is $3MM. I want 4 bedrooms, 3 car garage and a view or large yard. We are debating between the below communities and would love more insight. My favorite community is Turtle Rock Crest but so few homes come to market.

Which community is better?

Turtle Ridge:
Pro = gated community, close to 73
Cons = High taxes with special assessments, high HOA

Turtle Rock Crest:
Pro = Large lots, most homes have view 
Cons = Not many homes are listed

Turtle Rock:
Pro = Lower price, low HOA, low taxes
Cons = Older homes with low ceilings, most need extensive renovation 

I think the gist of what you wrote is correct..

Turtle Ridge (Summit)
- The extra taxes (special assessments) are ~$4500/year for this home:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/37-Woodcrest-92603/home/5900652
You can look up actuals viahttps://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp
The 1915 special assessment should expire around 2025/2026.
The IUSD special assessment should expire around 2038.
- Even though many homes have 3 car garages, none of them are 3 car-wide. They are either 3 car tandem or a 2 car standard + separate 1 car at 90 degrees (need IHO to define these better).
- HOA is $515/month

Turtle Rock Crest
- Ex:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/9-Orion-92603/home/4745555
- HOA is $366/month
- 3 car wide garage, larger lot, view
- No significant special assessments/extra taxes

Turtle Rock is huge and has many different tracts.. many will be less expensive than Turtle Rock Crest and some are even pricier.

Right now, it does not look like you can get what you want (4bd, 3 car garage, view or large yard) for under $3MM in Turtle Ridge or Turtle Rock Crest. What homes have you seen that have been near your criteria?

Thanks for the feedback. I don?t need 3 car side by side. Turtle Ridge is very nice but those high assessments and high HOA is such a negative. I am willing to go up to $3.5MM but with higher interest rates want to stay close to the target budget.

Not lots of inventory now in these areas. Do you think more inventory will come due since prices will probably stagnate or even come down.

There is a 3-car garage house in Turtle Ridge coming up (42 Arcade) but there is no view.

K15nguye said:
Thanks for the feedback. I don?t need 3 car side by side. Turtle Ridge is very nice but those high assessments and high HOA is such a negative. I am willing to go up to $3.5MM but with higher interest rates want to stay close to the target budget.

Not lots of inventory now in these areas. Do you think more inventory will come due since prices will probably stagnate or even come down.

There is a 3-car garage house in Turtle Ridge coming up (42 Arcade) but there is no view.

You'll begin to see inventory levels build as we keep going through the summer selling season but the reality is that there is still a relatively low amount of inventory on the market.  Currently there are only 4 detached SFRs in Turtle Ridge and only 7 detached SFRs in Turtle Rock.  I have a buyer looking for a home in Shady Canyon, Turtle Ridge, or Newport Coast but there just isn't much out there to look at for them.

USCTrojanCPA said:
K15nguye said:

You'll begin to see inventory levels build as we keep going through the summer selling season but the reality is that there is still a relatively low amount of inventory on the market.  Currently there are only 4 detached SFRs in Turtle Ridge and only 7 detached SFRs in Turtle Rock.  I have a buyer looking for a home in Shady Canyon, Turtle Ridge, or Newport Coast but there just isn't much out there to look at for them.

Are there a lot of pocket listings in Turtle Ridge or Turtle Rock?

K15nguye said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
K15nguye said:

Are there a lot of pocket listings in Turtle Ridge or Turtle Rock?

Once in a while, but not many.  I know a Turtle Ridge listing agent who always gives me a heads up on new listings that he has coming up.

Do you have kids? Crest is amazing, but there is very few kids, we looked a few homes in crest but decided to get a house where there are more families in turtle rock, so my kids can walk to school with our neighbors, and have more kids to play with in the neighborhood in general. This has suited much better for us, we are glad we didn't choose crest.

Turtle ridge being gated you listed as a pro, but I think it's known that crimes tend to target gated nicer neighborhoods. Turtle rock looks much more modest, which I personally think is a great pro. Also many houses in turtle ridges don't even have their own mailbox, that's an automatic no for me, but that's just a personal preference.

I agree with the comment above mine about kids. If you have kids, Crest lacks that kid-friendly atmosphere. It's also not super walkable. Most of the other parts of Turtle Rock have more kids and are much more walkable, especially if your kids will attend the schools in Turtle Rock.

I love Turtle Ridge in every way. It's a bit more isolated which could be a love or hate.

I personally like all of Turtle Rock and don't feel like you can really go wrong. The only homes I would be on the fence about are the ones that line Culver or that are directly on Campus across from Uni. I was a Uni kid and I know for a fact that the homeowners across the street hated us for many reasons.

Back