Pizza by the Slice Thread!

irvinehomeowner

So a recent thread got me thinking, what places in Irvine (or near Irvine) have pizza by the slice?

Ray's by UCI is the OG.

But there is also:

Sgt Pepperoni's (somewhat newly opened in Campus Plaza where Bob's Big Boy used to be)
NY Upper Crust in Oak Creek (lots of variety... not too pricey)
Johnny's Real NY Pizza in Quail Hill
Lamppost Pizza in Heritage Plaza (I think slices are only at lunch time?)
Northwood Pizza
Terra Mia Pizzeria off of Red Hill/Edinger

The last one I just visited per qwerty rec... pretty good, but you have to get the Sicilian slice (thick crust pepperoni).

I probably missed others.

Edit:

Ameci's off of Michelson and Culver and also off of Walnut and Jeffery

Z Pizza! Used to be one at Harvard and Main intersection, next to Rubios.  There is one on Newport Ave in Tustin. It's been over 2 years since pandemic that I have tried, so not sure if they still sell by the slice.

There used to be one near the junction of Harvard and Main, just next to Rubios. In the city of Tustin, you may find one on Newport Avenue. Since it has been more than two years since I last sampled pandemic, I am unsure whether or not they still provide it by the slice.
word hurdle

aquabliss said:
CalBears96 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
HMart said:
There's also Costco..

They need to bring the Combo back!

I've always thought the food offerings there are just awful both in taste and nutrition. To each their own. As I get older I find I seek out the healthy option almost reflexively when eating out.

Yeah, they do.

And the swirl frozen yogurt, that was my fave.  They can keep the chicken Caesar though.

Did you try their POM (Pie of the Month)?

I think it's the Parma Pie for September... Prosciutto and tomatoes.

Past ones are a Cheeseburger pizza (I think they called it the American) and a Pastor/Guac pizza (forgot the name).

irvinehomeowner said:
Did you try their POM (Pie of the Month)?

I think it's the Parma Pie for September... Prosciutto and tomatoes.

Past ones are a Cheeseburger pizza (I think they called it the American) and a Pastor/Guac pizza (forgot the name).

Yes I did, it was basically a meat lovers pizza.  I also had the spicy chicken buffalo slice too.  Very good.

Innosint said:
you guys are going to make me miss Square One Pizza Again..

I try not to eat pizza more than once every 1-2 weeks because it's a big carb bomb but those slices were tasty.  :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Innosint said:
you guys are going to make me miss Square One Pizza Again..

But they didn't do slices if I remember correctly.

They actually did, but it was limited to only Cheese, Pepperoni and Veges IIRC.

and Yes, @USCTroganCPA, yes is a massive carb bomb to the diet.

Everytime I eat pizza for meal, it basically undo my entire of every so slow weight lost progress XD

Costco's pizza has declined in quality, casualty of the pandemic.

Pizza Hut's "Detroit style pizza" is also undercooked (to fulfill their quick turnaround?), you need to ask them to cook it a little longer, assuming the manager is willing.

I've been to a number of fast food places this year and, due to staffing issues they're hiring substandard labor and making substandard food.  For example, Popeye's Chicken hired this guy who gets confused when joggling just 2 orders and needed assistance.  Jersey Mike's...  hired a lot of people that stood around with no clear direction, couldn't cook more than 1 hot sandwich on the grill, and the manager had to come out to run the cash register.

momopi said:

Pizza Hut's "Detroit style pizza" is also undercooked (to fulfill their quick turnaround?), you need to ask them to cook it a little longer, assuming the manager is willing.

I've been to a number of fast food places this year and, due to staffing issues they're hiring substandard labor and making substandard food.  For example, Popeye's Chicken hired this guy who gets confused when joggling just 2 orders and needed assistance.  Jersey Mike's...  hired a lot of people that stood around with no clear direction, couldn't cook more than 1 hot sandwich on the grill, and the manager had to come out to run the cash register.

Fortunately, my local (back during Eastvale days) Carl's Jr. had the same staff during the pandemic, so the quality was still good. I practically went there once a week thanks to the coupons. Until my son got sick of it.  ;D Didn't go as often after back to office days and barely went this year because the coupons got a lot worse.

momopi said:

Yeah they cut back on the cheese and somehow doesn't taste the same anymore.  I don't think I'll be buying pizza slices at Costco anymore.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Yeah they cut back on the cheese and somehow doesn't taste the same anymore.  I don't think I'll be buying pizza slices at Costco anymore.

According to Costco food court employee, they changed from a shredded to cubed cheese that is supposed to be the same.  However when baked in oven the pizza doesn't have the same consistency.

Has anyone tried to Kirkland frozen pizzas?

According to Costco food court employee, they changed from a shredded to cubed cheese that is supposed to be the same. However when baked in oven the pizza doesn't have the same consistency.

Has anyone tried to Kirkland frozen pizzas?
iirc most shredded and pre-cut cheese are coated with corn/wheat starch to prevent them from clumping back together.
when you put those into oven, they don't melt together as well.

It could be possible that their original cheese didn't have the starch coating, but we will never know.

I"m looking into buying my own wood fire pizza oven but oh boy, the larger, more utility ones aren't cheap.

Back