These Southern California high schools are among the best in state

This is a composite of two main factors:  1. How well did the kids do on a standardized test (50% weighting)  2. How many kids took and passed AP courses (40% weighting)

In other words, this is not really a school ranking, but a ranking of the families that decide to attend these schools.  You could just rank order the schools based on the income of the parents and the results would be similar.

Wow... me and LL agree somewhat. :)

But isn't that the same thing? A school is what its population is... similar to a neighborhood or city.

The reverse stat made it into the news up here this week - percentage of students that consumed alcohol in the last month, in a story about the after effects of the Los Gatos Party Mom with the city council approving a new ordinance with a $3K fine for furnishing minors with alcohol/drugs. Apparently 28% of LGHS students had consumed alcohol in the last month, double the rate of neighboring districts and high schools that are majority Asian whereas LGHS is majority white. I don't notice any majority white high schools on the list of OC schools in the post.

classic chicken and egg question. parents with the income to afford the house and care about education will have their kids attend such school which will boost the ranking, but they use such ranking when doing house hunting?.

Liar Loan said:
This is a composite of two main factors:  1. How well did the kids do on a standardized test (50% weighting)  2. How many kids took and passed AP courses (40% weighting)

In other words, this is not really a school ranking, but a ranking of the families that decide to attend these schools.  You could just rank order the schools based on the income of the parents and the results would be similar.

irvinehomeowner said:

But isn't that the same thing? A school is what its population is... similar to a neighborhood or city.

They could use other factors like ranking schools by percent of faculty with Masters Degrees, years of teaching experience, faculty to student ratio, number of vocational programs.... all kinds of stuff.  College prep should not be the only metric used for ranking high schools.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

They could use other factors like ranking schools by percent of faculty with Masters Degrees, years of teaching experience, faculty to student ratio, number of vocational programs.... all kinds of stuff.  College prep should not be the only metric used for ranking high schools.

Yes, but like housing... what about the non-fundamentals? :)

There could be teachers with little experience and no Masters who care more (or are less jaded)?

But I agree just pure metrics like student/teacher ratio, extra curricular programs, etc should be looked at.

Maybe throw in some Yelp reviews... hehe.

Remember any student could opt out of the standardized testing last year without penalty to the school so some students were encouraged to test and some may have avoided it. Testing even occurred online from home. AP Tests were also virtual so these rankings may not be the most accurate.

Back