Which neighborhood do you prefer?

Great Park
6 (17.6%)
Villages of Irvine
25 (73.5%)
Other
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Great Park vs Villages of Irvine  (Read 2627 times)

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 726
  • -Received: 228
Re: Great Park vs Villages of Irvine
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 04:23:00 PM »
View with smaller house

Offline AW

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 47
  • -Received: 177
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 04:32:15 PM »
depends on stage in life

kid(s), def bigger house, you will end up 'things'

no kids (either before or approaching empty nest), def view and smaller house

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 29
  • -Received: 123
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 04:35:28 PM »
just had a debate with my wife. For the same price, would you want
either
1. View lot but a smaller house (let’s say 2100 sqft)

or
2. No view lot, but against a slope so some privacy and a bigger house (let’s say 3400 sqft)

all else bing equal to the extent possible.

She prefers view lot but my argument we spend more time indoors, so bigger house is more practical.

I would go with view lot but smaller house, but 2100 sq ft is a bit small, 2500-2600 sq ft. would be perfect.  ;D

I mean, bigger house is nice, but something like 3400 sq ft is way to big anyway. My current house is 3309 sq ft, so I know how wasteful it is.

Personally, I think the fact that you spend more time indoors makes the view lot even better. I mean, you choose the view lot BECAUSE you get the view from INSIDE your house, right? On the other hand, if you spend less time at home, then against the slope to give privacy would be sufficient.

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 262
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »
either

or
2. No view lot, but against a slope so some privacy and a bigger house (let’s say 3400 sqft)

She prefers view lot but my argument we spend more time indoors, so bigger house is more practical.

Avoid the slope, no matter what size the house is. I can't say enough........ avoid the slope.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 116
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 07:03:12 PM »
either

or

Avoid the slope, no matter what size the house is. I can't say enough........ avoid the slope.

Curious, what is the issue with the slope?

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 393
  • -Received: 368
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 07:12:00 PM »
Wow most people prefer the view lot.
I forgot to say for the same price, half year ago we saw a house, single story, 3CWG and driveway, 2800 sqft, view lot , on a cul de sac, enough backyard space to build infinity pool, zoned for a top 50 ranked HS in the state, not backed to a major street,  for the same price as the two examples I gave today. Probably we should have gambled and emptied our investment fund to get that house.
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Thanks
  • -Received: 262
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
either

or

Curious, what is the issue with the slope?

The steeper the worse issue u will have. U have to have ground cover to prevent erosion. Even then it requires a lot of watering which because we've been in a drought for so many years the dirt gets dry and compact so the water doesn't soak in well which of course affects the ability to keep plants alive. In the occasional down pours we get, water literally just rolls right off the slope with topsoil. If you have wind that is predominately downslope, trees will lean forward which u might not know unless u get up on the slope and see it.

Best thing to do with a slope is tiered retaining walls.

Just a hassle to maintain. Had one and would never ever have another. For us it's a complete deal breaker.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 07:43:04 PM »
The steeper the worse issue u will have. U have to have ground cover to prevent erosion. Even then it requires a lot of watering which because we've been in a drought for so many years the dirt gets dry and compact so the water doesn't soak in well which of course affects the ability to keep plants alive. In the occasional down pours we get, water literally just rolls right off the slope with topsoil. If you have wind that is predominately downslope, trees will lean forward which u might not know unless u get up on the slope and see it.

Just a hassle to maintain. Had one and would never ever have another. For us it's a complete deal breaker.
I also don't like how it blocks sunlight (depending on how far back and how steep the slope is).

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 08:30:22 PM »

I also don't like how it blocks sunlight (depending on how far back and how steep the slope is).

If it blocks sunlight, then the slope is too steep.

Offline Davin

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 08:32:29 PM »
either

or

I don't know - unless the view is really spectacular I think you get over it in time, but you never get over a lack of enough living space. I once lived on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building; the view was great for the first month or two, then I stopped paying attention to it. Humans have an amazing ability to get accustomed to things.

Offline box

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 09:47:37 PM »
I forgot to say for the same price, half year ago we saw a house, single story, 3CWG and driveway, 2800 sqft, view lot , on a cul de sac, enough backyard space to build infinity pool, zoned for a top 50 ranked HS in the state, not backed to a major street,  for the same price as the two examples I gave today. Probably we should have gambled and emptied our investment fund to get that house.

This sounds like a Turtle Rock Terrace house  :D

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 10:20:43 PM »
I don't know - unless the view is really spectacular I think you get over it in time, but you never get over a lack of enough living space. I once lived on the top floor of a high-rise apartment building; the view was great for the first month or two, then I stopped paying attention to it. Humans have an amazing ability to get accustomed to things.

You're comparing an apartment building to a 2000 sq ft house.  ;D

This is not about lack of enough living spaces with view vs. enough living spaces without view.

This is about enough living spaces with view vs. big ass house without view.  ;D

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2849
  • -Received: 2230
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 10:30:53 PM »
Single story 3-car wide garage homes with bigger lots.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA DRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!
Have license, will travel!

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/5712-Oakley-Ter-92603/home/4741437
 ;D

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2849
  • -Received: 2230
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2022, 10:56:20 PM »

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/5712-Oakley-Ter-92603/home/4741437
 ;D

Yes, I submitted an offer on the home.  Wish me luck.  haha
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA DRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!
Have license, will travel!