Which neighborhood do you prefer?

Great Park
6 (17.6%)
Villages of Irvine
25 (73.5%)
Other
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Great Park vs Villages of Irvine  (Read 2545 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Received: 4075
  • 3CWG
Great Park vs Villages of Irvine
« on: April 25, 2022, 10:39:31 AM »
So I know this gets discussed in every sub thread around here but reading some of these threads, there seems to be some big resistance to Great Park (mostly because of MRs).

When I look at price and floorplan comparisons... they don't seem too different other than VOI has more traditional exteriors vs GP's modern block homes. GP also seems to have more 3-story and rear-garage plans but I can't really be sure as I have not looked at all the hoods in both (is it just me or is VOI's website really slow?).

The one advantage I see for GP is the location (geography-wise... not the other toxic marine base claims) if you're working in the Spectrum (sure Barcelona is good too but they are pretty much done).

But with WFH, location becomes less of an issue and I can see why places like Portola Springs that was once considered "boondocky" is now preferable.

Either way... new homes are so expensive and now that some hoods have gone to "bidding wars" not sure if resale or new has any real advantage today.

But I guess it's all relative... and I thought buying earlier this decade was overpriced.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline ScottWilson

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 1
Re: Great Park vs Villages of Irvine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 11:00:55 AM »
Personally I prefer Villages of Irvine, as their design language is consistently boring, which means in the long run 20-30 years later its going to age better. To me West Park was one of the first Villages I think that carried this design theme and I think it has aged well 20-25 years later.

GreatPark might not age well with their modern art deco, industrial, semi minimalist designs.

Each builder also has a different take on the exterior design of the homes, so that might make people happy that their home isn't like everyone else compared to the Villages.

Great Park also attracts more people since its closer proximity to amphitheatres, ice skating rink, parks, etc. So if you want to be in isolated quiet areas, I would stick to the Villages.

Also Irvine Pacific isn't playing weird games like having potential buyers bid up on releases. I seen some of the Great Park builders basically asking for highest bidder rather than working from a waitlist order.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Online sleepy5136

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 7
  • -Received: 55
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 11:05:10 AM »
Personally I prefer Villages of Irvine, as their design language is consistently boring, which means in the long run 20-30 years later its going to age better. To me West Park was one of the first Villages I think that carried this design theme and I think it has aged well 20-25 years later.

GreatPark might not age well with their modern art deco, industrial, semi minimalist designs.

Each builder also has a different take on the exterior design of the homes, so that might make people happy that their home isn't like everyone else compared to the Villages.

Great Park also attracts more people since its closer proximity to amphitheatres, ice skating rink, parks, etc. So if you want to be in isolated quiet areas, I would stick to the Villages.

Also Irvine Pacific isn't playing weird games like having potential buyers bid up on releases. I seen some of the Great Park builders basically asking for highest bidder rather than working from a waitlist order.
I can't stand IP. Their homes and floor plans are all the same and copy and pasted to other areas in Irvine like Azul for example.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 11:35:00 AM »
I can't stand IP. Their homes and floor plans are all the same and copy and pasted to other areas in Irvine like Azul for example.

While I tend to agree with that, the upside is if you liked the floorplan/model but didn't like the area... you can get it in another area. :)
I recommend:

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 29
  • -Received: 123
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 11:37:15 AM »
Personally, I prefer Villages of Irvine.

I like VoI's floorplan more, but I do like GP's modern exterior more.

Although GP's location is more convenient, I still prefer PS/OH because I prefer residential neighborhood.

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »

While I tend to agree with that, the upside is if you liked the floorplan/model but didn't like the area... you can get it in another area. :)

Well, if you come up with floorplans that people like, you tend to re-use them.

And really, you can shuffles the rooms around, but there's only so much you can do. Basically, you HAVE TO put kitchen, great room, dining room, possibly another bedroom + bath downstairs and the other bedrooms + baths, laundry room, and possibly loft upstairs.

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 222
  • -Received: 831
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 11:47:05 AM »
I prefer Irvine Company's Common Area's / Pools / Playgrounds / Home Exteriors, but prefer GP's Floorplans and Lot Sizes. 

If only we could get a fusion of these 2.

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 726
  • -Received: 228
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
But I guess it's all relative... and I thought buying earlier this decade was overpriced.

The demographics (at the country level) seem to support continued housing demand
https://calculatedrisk.substack.com/p/housing-and-demographics

Offline Kenkoko

• Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 301
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 01:07:42 PM »

But with WFH, location becomes less of an issue and I can see why places like Portola Springs that was once considered "boondocky" is now preferable.

Is it wrong of me to still consider Portola Springs and Orchard Hills "boondocky" ?

I can't be the only one with the bias for west of the 405.  :)

Online sleepy5136

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:35:39 PM »

And really, you can shuffles the rooms around, but there's only so much you can do. Basically, you HAVE TO put kitchen, great room, dining room, possibly another bedroom + bath downstairs and the other bedrooms + baths, laundry room, and possibly loft upstairs.
I forgot to mention it's not only the inside, but the outside is copied too or very darn similar.

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »

I forgot to mention it's not only the inside, but the outside is copied too or very darn similar.

I guess IP likes the Mediterranean style.  ;D

Online sleepy5136

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 03:27:59 PM »

I guess IP likes the Mediterranean style.  ;D
anddd....no driveway for single story 2.3m home... that....is..just..not..right....!!!

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 03:48:59 PM »

Is it wrong of me to still consider Portola Springs and Orchard Hills "boondocky" ?

I can't be the only one with the bias for west of the 405.  :)

There is nothing wrong with preferring convenience, but I prefer the "boondocky" Portola Springs because it's a nice quiet neighborhood.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 03:53:41 PM »
There is nothing wrong with preferring convenience, but I prefer the "boondocky" Portola Springs because it's a nice quiet neighborhood.

Yep. And that's the point... if you're WFH and you don't need to go out and about every day... most people would prefer to live in the more distant, quiet (and elevated) areas.

I mean, why are people paying so much to live in the "boondocky" areas of Lake Forest (and that area doesn't have the elevation of Foothill Ranch)?
I recommend:

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 393
  • -Received: 368
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 04:15:06 PM »
just had a debate with my wife. For the same price, would you want
either
1. View lot but a smaller house (let’s say 2100 sqft)

or
2. No view lot, but against a slope so some privacy and a bigger house (let’s say 3400 sqft)

all else bing equal to the extent possible.

She prefers view lot but my argument we spend more time indoors, so bigger house is more practical.

"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal