Poll

I will get my 4th shot because Pfizer said it is necessary

Yes
1 (25%)
No (this can include those who never got any shots as well as those who got some of them)
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Pfizer CEO Says Fourth Covid Vaccine Dose ‘Necessary’  (Read 628 times)

Offline hpjet

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 13
  • -Received: 9
Pfizer CEO Says Fourth Covid Vaccine Dose ‘Necessary’
« on: March 16, 2022, 01:02:18 PM »
"Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said a fourth Covid-19 vaccine dose is necessary...'The protection you are getting from the third [dose],...[is] not that good against infections, ... doesn’t last very long,' Bourla said on CBS’s Face the Nation.”
https://www.barrons.com/articles/pfizer-ceo-fourth-covid-vaccine-dose-51647256170

Offline hpjet

• Tourist
  • Thanks
Re: Pfizer CEO Says Fourth Covid Vaccine Dose ‘Necessary’
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
From the New England Journal of Medicine:
Efficacy of a Fourth Dose of Covid-19 mRNA Vaccine against Omicron
"...we observed low vaccine efficacy against infections in health care workers, as well as relatively high viral loads suggesting that those who were infected were infectious. Thus, a fourth vaccination of healthy young health care workers may have only marginal benefits. "
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2202542?utm_content=buffer2054e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

From the journal:
- Infected with Omicron variant
 - Control group - 25%
 - Pfizer - 18.3%
 - Moderna - 20.7%

This was then extrapolated to % efficacy against infection (fourth dose):
 - Pfizer - 30%
 - Moderna - 11%

And the researchers found that:
"Most infected health care workers reported negligible symptoms, both in the control group and the intervention groups."

Good news for the 4th dose - % efficacy against symptoms:
The 4th dose did have an efficacy of at most 65% ("vaccine efficacy against symptomatic disease was 65% at most") for reducing covid symptoms however this may be a small consolation since those in the control group (w/o 4th dose) who were infected with Omicron had "negligible symptoms."  And both the control and the intervention (w/4th dose) groups had high viral loads after infection, i.e. you were infectious to others regardless of the 4th dose.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 12:29:39 PM by hpjet »

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 529
  • -Received: 107
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 07:38:49 AM »
I'm waiting for an updated booster with better efficacy against the newer variants.

Maybe we will get that this coming fall with our influenza vaccine?

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 529
  • -Received: 107
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 07:40:08 AM »
That said, if I was advising an older or immune compromised person, I would suggest that a 20-30% reduced risk of infection might be significant for their prognosis/survival.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2775
  • -Received: 4103
  • 3CWG
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
I'm waiting for an updated booster with better efficacy against the newer variants.

Same.

I don't hear any news that the vax companies are updating their boosters but not sure if that requires new testing and approvals.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 11:00:51 AM »

Same.

I don't hear any news that the vax companies are updating their boosters but not sure if that requires new testing and approvals.

They both said an omicron specific vax would be ready in March. Since then, crickets. I take that to mean they will just keep up the same old same old.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/covid-vaccine-pfizer-ceo-says-omicron-vaccine-will-be-ready-in-march.html

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/moderna-exec-says-company-could-have-omicron-booster-ready-march-2021-12-01/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 08:19:20 PM by Ready2Downsize »

Offline hpjet

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »
May, 2022:  "Pfizer’s Covid Vaccine Protection Against Omicron Fades Just Weeks After Second And Third Doses, Study Finds"  https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2022/05/13/pfizers-covid-vaccine-protection-against-omicron-fades-just-weeks-after-second-and-third-doses-study-finds/?sh=5bd9745632af

Antibody levels against Omicron variant after the second shot:
week 4 -> 76%
week 8-10 -> 53%
week 12-14 -> 19%
("proportion of omicron-specific antibodies detected in participants’ blood dropped “rapidly” from 76% four weeks after the second shot to 53% at weeks eight to 10 and 19% at weeks 12 to 14...")

Antibody levels after the third shot:
Against Original variant: 20.4% by week 8    (4.9 fold decrease -> 100%/4.9 = 20.4%)
Against Delta variant: 17.86% by week 8    (5.6 fold decrease -> 100%/5.6 = 17.86%)
Against Omicron variant: 18.52% by week 8   (5.4 fold decrease -> 100%/5.4 = 18.52%)
("...antibody levels started to drop as early as three weeks after the booster shot, falling 4.9-fold for the original variant, 5.6-fold for delta and 5.4-fold for omicron between weeks three and eight.")

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 12:51:11 PM by hpjet »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal