Venta Spur / SR-133 Bicycle-Pedestrian Bridge

iacrenter

I forgot about this bridge until I saw the construction along the 133 today. Things are proceeding as scheduled.
https://gis.cityofirvine.org/cip/pdf/CIPViewer/321701 - Venta Spur SR-133 Bike Pedestrian Bridge.pdf

Here is the link to the original thread:https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,17635.msg372502.html#msg372502

irviniteeee said:
iacrenter said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
John said:
That side of CVE is really going to need an entrance/exit on to Great Park Blvd or Ridge Valley.

There really should be a pedestrian / bicycle bridge from CV to CVE. This way it will link up access to the Great Park and also kids from CVE can safely ride their bikes to CV Elementary and also Jeffrey Trail Middle.

They'll need 2 bridges...one crossing Sand Canyon and the other one crossing the 133 Toll Road but not sure if either one will happen anytime soon.

They've been talking about building a pedestrian bridge for more than a decade and it still hasn't happened. The original plan was for a bridge from Woodbury East to Great Park. The city was also supposed to build another bridge crossing Sand Canyon and linking it to JOST. They mention it in this 2007 document for the Venta Spur Trail extension to JOST (another bridge that never happened!):
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/inc/displayblobpdf2.asp?BlobID=9787

It would be really great if they followed through with these plans at some point. I don't think they anticipated just how much of a difference the bridges would make in the future. Sand Canyon is a death sentence to cross and people fly down Ridge Valley by CVE.

Another place that really needs some sort of pedestrian friendly revision is around Bosque and the roundabout in the Great Park. It seems really unsafe for pedestrians. The whole Great Park has horrible crossing points from each enclave. For me, the design makes each neighborhood in GPN seem so disconnected from the actual park.

moc said:
The Venta Spur bridge over 133 is still listed in the City's capital improvement program. The document linked online from April 2020 says the project is in final design with an estimated completed construction date of June 2022.

We'll see when it actually happens, but at least there has been something happening.
https://cityofirvine.maps.arcgis.co...ndex.html?id=b37378d166fc4d7a873dac36cf81ede7
https://gis.cityofirvine.org/cip/pdf/CIPViewer/321701 - Venta Spur SR-133 Bike Pedstrian Bridge.pdf

Venta Spur trail is horrible biking though Northwood though... have to keep going around the medians as it's not possible to cross with a bike.

irvinehomeowner said:
Venta Spur trail is horrible biking though Northwood though... have to keep going around the medians as it's not possible to cross with a bike.

sad, wish there was some level crossing with lights here.

Off topic but there seriously needs to be a connection from Marine to Technology ... the traffic through Marine for Great Park gets kind of insane during busy times like right after large soccer tournaments. I think with the addition of the amphitheater and Wild Rivers they need to think of a way to alleviate traffic on Marine.

Cares said:
Off topic but there seriously needs to be a connection from Marine to Technology ... the traffic through Marine for Great Park gets kind of insane during busy times like right after large soccer tournaments. I think with the addition of the amphitheater and Wild Rivers they need to think of a way to alleviate traffic on Marine.

Wasn't there a project to connect Marine way - but further down.  Marine Way to Barranca, there were signs up when I drove through that area a couple months ago.  Not sure what the ETA is, since that Sand Canyon railroad project took years and traffic through there was horrible during construction.

akkord said:
Cares said:
Off topic but there seriously needs to be a connection from Marine to Technology ... the traffic through Marine for Great Park gets kind of insane during busy times like right after large soccer tournaments. I think with the addition of the amphitheater and Wild Rivers they need to think of a way to alleviate traffic on Marine. slope game

Wasn't there a project to connect Marine way - but further down.  Marine Way to Barranca, there were signs up when I drove through that area a couple months ago.  Not sure what the ETA is, since that Sand Canyon railroad project took years and traffic through there was horrible during construction.

I think this is a good idea. But it is still a long time before the traffic improves because it is too difficult.

Take a few moments to see the increasing concern between drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists. As drivers are racing to turn right before oncoming traffic they are forgetting to look for those using the crosswalks.

Any opportunity to plan for more pedestrian/bicycle bridges should be considered on any street with more than three lanes per side. This helps traffic and safety.

Back