Portola Springs Massive HOA fee increase + special assessment

paperboyNC

Has anyone else heard of special assessments / massive fee increases while a community is still being built out? We were told that we could expect the fees to be lowered upon complete build out.

- Irvine Company still controls our board (2 out of 3 seats)
- Reason given for this is "Increased insurance". Makes no sense

It seems we should be pursuing a class action lawsuit against the master developer, but I'm surprised that there isn't any other chatter.

Attachments

• HOA.png
    HOA.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 371
Increase due to insurance?  I guess it would have to be in insuring the common area buildings due to the increased fire danger but seems a bit excessive of an increase.  My Tustin Ranch HOA went up as well recently but only $8 per month.

paperboyNC said:
Has anyone else heard of special assessments / massive fee increases while a community is still being built out? We were told that we could expect the fees to be lowered upon complete build out.

- Irvine Company still controls our board (2 out of 3 seats)
- Reason given for this is "Increased insurance". Makes no sense

It seems we should be pursuing a class action lawsuit against the master developer, but I'm surprised that there isn't any other chatter.

Got to be vocal. Complain on next door also!!!!!!

I just receive notice yesterday from Bluffs sales lady about the increase, by ~$27 per month. I only received the budget PDF, so I can't see where the increase is coming from.

The $100 special assessment is a bit of a surprise to me.  Almost feels like someone was asleep at the wheel as costs were rising.  The increase to $169/mo in HOA dues is not unexpected.  With all the headlines regarding inflation, I was expecting a decent sized bump in HOA dues at some point.  If you think about it, our HOA dues were very stable over the past 7 years.

irvine buyer said:
The $100 special assessment is a bit of a surprise to me.  Almost feels like someone was asleep at the wheel as costs were rising.  The increase to $169/mo in HOA dues is not unexpected.  With all the headlines regarding inflation, I was expecting a decent sized bump in HOA dues at some point.  If you think about it, our HOA dues were very stable over the past 7 years.

My guess is that the HOA management company (KPPM) and the Irvine Company have their hands taking from the pot. KPPM takes an 11% management fee so a large increase will be a huge windfall to them. They then charge us for most of their services on top of that fee rather than covering their expenses out of their fee.

irvine buyer said:
The $100 special assessment is a bit of a surprise to me.  Almost feels like someone was asleep at the wheel as costs were rising.

Exactly. Somebody was not doing their job if you need to slap on a $100 special fee on top of the monthly increase.

The $100 special assessment is due Feb, 2022, right? My new home won't be completed until mid May, so at least I won't have to pay this special fee?

CalBears96 said:
The $100 special assessment is due Feb, 2022, right? My new home won't be completed until mid May, so at least I won't have to pay this special fee?

True. The extra $27.80/month will cost $1,668.00 over 5yrs and is a lot more significant than the $100 special assessment.

BlackKnight said:
Y?all can afford $1+ mil homes but call $20+ HOA increase massive.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Considering other communities have kept their HOA fees steady for 20 years, a 20% increase is quite unexpected. And as someone who bought his home a long time ago, it was a far cry from a million bucks.

Lastly, people don't save up money by ignoring recurring expenses .

paperboyNC said:
BlackKnight said:
Y?all can afford $1+ mil homes but call $20+ HOA increase massive.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Considering other communities have kept their HOA fees steady for 20 years, a 20% increase is quite unexpected. And as someone who bought his home a long time ago, it was a far cry from a million bucks.

Dont buy home w/ HOA. You know damn well that when you buy a place w/ HOA, you are committed to HOA?s terms. There is no way getting around it. Go get a lawyer and fight it out. Good luck w/ that.

paperboyNC said:
irvine buyer said:

My guess is that the HOA management company (KPPM) and the Irvine Company have their hands taking from the pot. KPPM takes an 11% management fee so a large increase will be a huge windfall to them. They then charge us for most of their services on top of that fee rather than covering their expenses out of their fee.

I thought someone said the reason is because of higher insurance.

BlackKnight said:
paperboyNC said:
BlackKnight said:

Dont buy home w/ HOA. You know damn well that when you buy a place w/ HOA, you are committed to HOA?s terms. There is no way getting around it. Go get a lawyer and fight it out. Good luck w/ that.

You don?t live in Irvine yet all you do is post here regularly and troll people.

I guess people have interesting hobbies, LOL.

TestingIrvine said:
BlackKnight said:
paperboyNC said:
BlackKnight said:

You don?t live in Irvine yet all you do is post here regularly and troll people.

I guess people have interesting hobbies, LOL.

Are you trying to troll me? If so you just make a fool out of yourself by pretending to know where i dont live.  8)

You need to get better at your guessing hobby that doesnt make you look stupid. Keep on trying buddy. 😊

I guess people have interesting

Back