Trial

Efficacy against *infection* appears to wane for omicron (not delta), but protection against serious disease/ICU/death apparently is holding up well.

Maybe I just haven't seen it but is there any proof to the "I had Covid but it would have been worse if I hadn't been vaccinated." trope?  I can tell from my experiences that in our cluster of 2 with vaccines and 2 without, the two with vaccines had worse symptoms not better.  Everyone says that but you can't prove a negative. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-death-rate-divergence-on-covid-vaccine-type

Looks like Moderna is most effective.

Singapore saw the fewest deaths among those administered with a Moderna Inc. shot and the most among those who received Sinovac Biotech Ltd.?s vaccine, as the city-state?s highly inoculated population provides a glimpse into how different immunizations are holding up in the real world.

Of the 802 people who died from Covid-19 last year in the city-state, 555 or about 70% weren?t fully vaccinated, health minister Ong Ye Kung told the parliament Monday, showing the life-saving impact of inoculation.

Singapore found 11 deaths per 100,000 among people who received Sinovac shots and 7.8 deaths among those with Sinopharm. This number fell to 6.2 deaths for those with mRNA shots from Pfizer Inc.-BioNTech SE and 1 fatality in those who were administered the vaccines from Moderna.

In my small personal circle it is the same thing. For Omnicron unvaccinated or people who had COVID before barely got effected but those who are current on the vaccine and booster shots have had worse outcomes, that on top of some post shot reactions. It is like double whammy.

morekaos said:
Maybe I just haven't seen it but is there any proof to the "I had Covid but it would have been worse if I hadn't been vaccinated." trope?  I can tell from my experiences that in our cluster of 2 with vaccines and 2 without, the two with vaccines had worse symptoms not better.  Everyone says that but you can't prove a negative. 

In my not personal, group of non-friends, living in my community, my local county health department publishes stats that show 87% percent of the people hospitalized are not vaccinated.

morekaos said:

And is there any proof of the "trope" that "natural immunity" will protect you from Omicron better?

Maybe not:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/12/omicron-immunity-from-prior-infection-less-effective/

- New research suggests the Omicron variant is associated with an increased ability to evade immunity from prior infection.
- This finding has important implications for public health planning, particularly in countries with high rates of immunity from prior infection.
- The ability of the virus to potentially evade natural immunity is the result of a complex mutation.

Take care of yourself morekaos... you're not invincible.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:

And is there any proof of the "trope" that "natural immunity" will protect you from Omicron better?

Maybe not:
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/12/omicron-immunity-from-prior-infection-less-effective/

- New research suggests the Omicron variant is associated with an increased ability to evade immunity from prior infection.
- This finding has important implications for public health planning, particularly in countries with high rates of immunity from prior infection.
- The ability of the virus to potentially evade natural immunity is the result of a complex mutation.

Honestly, I really don't care...Omicron is tearing through almost everyone I know.  Most of my kids friends have either had it or have it now...all are just fine, some vaxed some not.  I've been exposed at least 5 times...If I get it I get it...whatever...as I said virus is virusing.

...and there's this...

Supreme Court blocks Biden vaccine mandate for businesses, backs health-care worker rule

The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the Biden administration from enforcing its sweeping vaccine-or-test requirements for large private companies, but allowed similar requirements to stand for medical facilities that take Medicare or Medicaid payments.

The ruling came three days after the Occupational Safety and Health Administration?s emergency measure started to take effect.

That mandate required that workers at businesses with 100 or more employees must get vaccinated or submit a negative Covid test weekly to enter the workplace. It also required unvaccinated workers to wear masks indoors at work.

OSHA, which polices workplace safety for the Labor Department, issued the mandates under its emergency power established by Congress. OSHA can shortcut the normal rulemaking process, which can take years, if the Labor secretary determines a new workplace safety standard is necessary to protect workers from a grave danger.

The Biden administration argued before the high court Friday that the rules were necessary to address the ?grave danger? posed by the Covid pandemic. Liberal justices, clearly sympathetic to the government?s position, highlighted the devastating death toll from the pandemic and the unprecedented wave of infection rolling across the nation due to the omicron variant.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/supreme-court-ruling-biden-covid-vaccine-mandates.html

World Economic Forum is your source for COVID/Science?
Whatever makes you sleep.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:

Maybe not:

morekaos said:
Honestly, I really don't care...Omicron is tearing through almost everyone I know.  Most of my kids friends have either had it or have it now...all are just fine, some vaxed some not.  I've been exposed at least 5 times...If I get it I get it...whatever...as I said virus is virusing.

Bro... no one cares about your macho personal half-truths.

Just remember you've been warned.

Do you see Kings around here anymore? I hope nothing happened to him Covid related because it's weird he just disappeared. He was pretty lackadaisical about Covid too.

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:

Bro... no one cares about your macho personal half-truths.

Just remember you've been warned.

Do you see Kings around here anymore? I hope nothing happened to him Covid related because it's weird he just disappeared. He was pretty lackadaisical about Covid too.

Appreciate your concern IHO, but I?ll be just fine. ;) >:D

Back