New build purchase: Should I directly go to talk with builder's agent or...?

Lanelgn

Hello everyone!
I would like to purchase a new build single-family house, such as Cetara Orchard Hills The Groves Shea.

Two quick questions:

1, Should I directly go to talk with the builder's agent or find a realtor? How about the rebate?

2, Will I get more chance to get a good lot/ more availability if I chose to talk with the builder directly, which means I save them some fees to the realtor?

Your chances of getting a good lot or a lot sooner are not any different whether you go with an agent or without.  Where you are on the wait list is based upon when you get loan pre-approved with the builder.  There are long wait lists with all the builders now so you'll have to wait several months/phase releases before you even get a call but #1 you need to get on the builder's wait list.

Garren said:
Hello everyone!
I would like to purchase a new build single-family house, such as Cetara Orchard Hills The Groves Shea.

Two quick questions:

1, Should I directly go to talk with the builder's agent or find a realtor? How about the rebate?

2, Will I get more chance to get a good lot/ more availability if I chose to talk with the builder directly, which means I save them some fees to the realtor?

1. In order to get the rebate, you must go with an agent on your first visit. You could talk to the builder's agent online or on the phone before that, but you must bring an agent on the first visit.

2. The lots are released in phases, usually only a few lots per release, so your chance is the same whether or not you have an agent. As a result of the few number of homes per release, most builders have a waitlist and you need to get pre-approved in order to get on the waitlist. Most builder's agents would call the people on the waitlist when the homes are release, in the order they get on the waitlist.

However, I did hear that Toll Brothers may do things a little bit different. They give a slight higher priority to buyers without agent. But for most builders, they go by the timestamp of the waitlist.

As for rebate, CalPac and Lennar no longer give them. Irvine Pacific at Bluffs cuts down from $25k to $15k starting from Jan 1st. I was lucky enough to reserve at Bluffs last week, so my agent still got $25k.

It?s only worth going with an agent if it?s your first time buying and find a trustworthy broker who provides the benefit of walking you through the process, or if there is a sizeable broker rebate. Another benefit of a broker who?s very familiar with new builds is that they may be aware of upcoming lots if you?re looking for something specific, rather than you having to do the legwork of finding out. But from what I saw a broker doesn?t give you priority, it was in the order of pre-approval.

I didn?t have a broker and they wouldn?t ?give? me the broker rebate because it comes from a marketing budget for bringing clients in. But the builder gave me the same amount in builder credits if I closed with their preferred lender. Their rate was actually competitive. I then refinanced elsewhere 6 months later when rates hit rock bottom. If you know how to advocate for your benefit, I think it makes things more streamlined to do it yourself for new construction. Resales are another story!

Back