Senior Management, Executive

The Verge: Activision Blizzard board rallies around embattled CEO hours after report

Hours after The Wall Street Journal published a shocking report alleging Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct allegations at the company, the company?s board of directors posted a statement voicing its support of the CEO.

The board?s language shows no indication that Kotick is in danger of losing his job. ?The Board remains confident in Bobby Kotick?s leadership, commitment and ability to achieve these goals,? the statement concludes.

Here is the board of directors? statement in full:

The Activision Blizzard Board remains committed to the goal of making Activision Blizzard the most welcoming and inclusive company in the industry. Under Bobby Kotick?s leadership the Company is already implementing industry leading changes including a zero tolerance harassment policy, a dedication to achieving significant increases to the percentages of women and non-binary people in our workforce and significant internal and external investments to accelerate opportunities for diverse talent. The Board remains confident that Bobby Kotick appropriately addressed workplace issues brought to his attention.

The goals we have set for ourselves are both critical and ambitious. The Board remains confident in Bobby Kotick?s leadership, commitment and ability to achieve these goals.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/16/22785776/activision-blizzard-board-statement-ceo-bobby-kotick

Oct 19 (Reuters) - Videogame publisher Activision Blizzard Inc (ATVI.O) said on Tuesday it had fired more than 20 employees following allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination at the workplace, with 20 more individuals facing other forms of disciplinary action.

The actions are based on an increase in number of reports ranging from years ago to the present, Activision said in a letter to employees.
https://www.reuters.com/business/ac...ployees-over-harassment-claims-ft-2021-10-19/

My comment: What is going on at Activision Blizzard?

CNN - Bernie Sanders: Pay your workers better. Warren Buffett: That's not my job

Warren Buffett, the ninth-richest person on the planet, says it's not up to him to settle a strike by 450 steelworkers at a company he owns.

Sen. Bernie Sanders wrote a letter to the Berkshire Hathaway CEO, requesting that he intervene in a United Steelworkers union strike at the Special Metals plant in Huntington, West Virginia. They've been on strike for three months. Special Metals is a unit of Precision Castparts, which is owned by Buffett's Berkshire.

It said the company wants to raise the cost of health coverage for workers from $275 a month to $1,000. And it reduced vacation time they have already accrued.

Sanders called the offer "outrageous and insulting."

But Buffett responded with a letter quoting Berkshire's annual financial filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which tells investors that the management of its different companies is left up to the executives at each subsidiary -- not Berkshire itself (or Buffett).

"Our companies deal individually with their own labor and personnel decisions (except for the selection of the CEO)," he said in his response to Sanders, which was released by Sanders' office. "I'm passing along your letter to the CEO of Precision Castparts, but making no recommendations to him as to any action. He is responsible for his business."
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/31/...warren-buffett-steelworkers-strike/index.html

My comment/reaction:
Tbh: the health cost increase is a lot. (According to the article $275 to $1,000) [sheeeesh!] I know health care increased but by that much. idk
One thing I have to say if I worked there is to look somewhere else. If the company is going to nickel and dime or charge you a lot for health insurance. I would possibly look around and move jobs. In this market probably higher pay. (the American way, make more money.)

Hey Bernie, solve the problem for them.  Medicare for all paid by a corporate tax.

Ooooo, I can feel the hate coming already.  :)

nosuchreality said:
Hey Bernie, solve the problem for them.  Medicare for all paid by a corporate tax.

Ooooo, I can feel the hate coming already.  :)

Would you stay at a company if they increased your health insurance by approximately $750 a month?
I think most of us would jump ship!

The interesting thing about Buffet is he believes there is an income disparity/inequality in the US. But when it comes to his company he does not do nothing.

I think corporate paid health insurance is the last of the company store and company script mindset.  Separating health coverage from the employer is good for our economy as it empowers people to pursue ventures instead of being stuck at a company for the health coverage.

As for those striking in W.VA. They are all free to find new employment.  For the company, a $1000 cost increase is the first nit in a bargaining chip.  Health care expenses (and legacy retirement plans) are rapidly spiraling costs for many employers.

The way to fix the system is to increase transparency.  Yet for any procedure you cannot can an up front cost because he contractual insurance game. Where else is paying cash up front the highest cost proposition?

Covered California is great from a marketplace standpoint.  The fact that the plans are expensive and costs significant amounts for each service visit, is the reality of our health care system.

Back