Author Topic: Great Park & El Toro Base / Areas of Concern  (Read 3469 times)

Offline aquabliss

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 219
  • -Received: 821
Re: Great Park & El Toro Base / Areas of Concern
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »
MPark, just curious why you prefer GPN over Portola Springs or Eastwood or Orchard Hills?  If you saw them all equally, I would think your concern would take GPN out of contention.

Offline moc

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 47
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 05:33:13 PM »
Ok so first off if you are this concerned about this issue I'm going to go ahead and say you probably don't want to live in the Great Park.

To answer your points a bit with my own two cents...

1)   I grew up on the east coast where tons of land was developed and used for purposes that aren't up to today's environmental standards across the board. The house I grew up in had lead pipes while I was growing up and still has some today for the water leaving the house. I think you would be hard pressed to find a single area of the country with zero environmental concerns from one angle or the other. I guess I have just accepted there's a certain amount of risk associated with existing as a human being in today's world.
2)   Yeah being exposed to jet fuel does not seem ideal.
3)   I don't think there are too many private wells in Irvine - and you could always ask the folks at the farmer's market where their water comes from? I don't have kids or dogs so I don't have that concern about the grass. Generally, any water can be less than perfect. We live in PS not GP but we put a reverse osmosis system in our house.
4) I don't really have a comment on this one, except that the EPA saying our drinking water is safe seems generally positive but I'm still glad I have a water filtration system.
5)   I am not qualified to comment on radiation. For that matter, not really qualified to comment on any of this but here we are.

Offline Mpark408

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
MPark, just curious why you prefer GPN over Portola Springs or Eastwood or Orchard Hills?  If you saw them all equally, I would think your concern would take GPN out of contention.

We’ve been shopping all around Southern California but Irvine stuck out to us because we lived in Stonegate for a while and really liked it.  Regardless of the area, the market has been very competitive.  We put in a bid for a 2b/2ba in PS that listed for $780K and it sold for $880K.  I remember going to showings for a 3b/2.5ba condos in Woodbury and there would be about 10 other families waiting to go in by the time we came out.  Believe it or not, it was cheaper to go with a new home rather than a used one in todays market.
I’ve known about Irvine’s issues - the asphalt plant, the landfill, the canyon fires (I had to evacuate last year and that wasn’t fun), the el toro base, the Tustin base, the PS traffic, the PS homeowners insurance, the expensive GP taxes and even some shady stories about the Irvine company, but like someone said, every place has its issues and I’m not an idealist - We just came across a great deal and wondered if things were as innocuous as things appeared to be.

Offline curious george

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 64
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 09:10:11 PM »
Did you count also the fires (2 last year) that adds to the health risk.

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 356
  • -Received: 281
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »
Having lived in Irvine for over 25 years, in and around all of those area that you listed. I am still kickin' fine. Knock on wood, because if BTC drop 80% or more, it would kill me faster than any of those ingredients you outlined.

Listen, the only thing that kill you faster, is constant worries. If you can find a happy home and able to afford it and not stress out about money over it than you will live a long happy life, even with a pack of cigarettes a day on those soils and you still fine, bro.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 219
  • -Received: 821
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 01:43:54 AM »
Having lived in Irvine for over 25 years, in and around all of those area that you listed. I am still kickin' fine. Knock on wood, because if BTC drop 80% or more, it would kill me faster than any of those ingredients you outlined.

Listen, the only thing that kill you faster, is constant worries. If you can find a happy home and able to afford it and not stress out about money over it than you will live a long happy life, even with a pack of cigarettes a day on those soils and you still fine, bro.

Mostly this.  If you move to GP and 12 years later you get diagnosed with prostate cancer, how the heck will you ever know the source or origin?  If you lived the same 12 years in Mission Viejo, would you still have developed the cancer?  You’ll never know, just gotta live and enjoy life no matter where you call home.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 220
  • -Received: 277
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 09:26:23 AM »
If you can afford those Mello Roos, then sure go for it and enjoy your happy life at GP.

Offline mythicquest

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 9
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 09:35:31 AM »
I think the mello roos has a higher chance of killing me than the soil  :P

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 220
  • -Received: 277
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
GP has the best amenities in Irvine. Great playgrounds, legit swimming pools, nice club houses for your kid's birthday parties, and so much more! Other Irvine hood amenities are not bad either, but honestly they don't come near as good as GP ones or even Baker Ranch's. But as the OP posted, there are lots of questions about the area for health concerns.

I personally would rent there living a year or two enjoying their amenities, but I don't think I would buy there. One, for the ridiculous MR price tags, and two, for knowing it was a superfund site. I'm sure or hope though that 90% of people living there would be fine. Not all smokers get cancers so it depends what you personally prefer.

Offline ThirtySomethingWEquity

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 13
  • -Received: 15
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »
GP has the best amenities in Irvine. Great playgrounds, legit swimming pools, nice club houses for your kid's birthday parties, and so much more! Other Irvine hood amenities are not bad either, but honestly they don't come near as good as GP ones or even Baker Ranch's. But as the OP posted, there are lots of questions about the area for health concerns.

I personally would rent there living a year or two enjoying their amenities, but I don't think I would buy there. One, for the ridiculous MR price tags, and two, for knowing it was a superfund site. I'm sure or hope though that 90% of people living there would be fine. Not all smokers get cancers so it depends what you personally prefer.

I dunno, Orchard Hills pools have ocean views, that's pretty hard to beat.

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 207
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »

I dunno, Orchard Hills pools have ocean views, that's pretty hard to beat.

LOL! You mean the ocean 15 miles away?

Offline sleepy5136

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 39
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 07:18:25 PM »

As blunt as it sounds, isn't that expected? If I pay close to 2% MR + HOA and homes there are generally around 1M+, I expect the amenities they already have and maybe more. The fact that I have no say as a homeowner on what gets built there is another concern that hasn't been mentioned here either.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:23:20 PM by sleepy5136 »

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 126
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 07:48:05 PM »
As blunt as it sounds, isn't that expected? If I pay close to 2% MR and homes there are generally around 1M+, I expect the amenities they already have and maybe more. The fact that I have no say as a homeowner on what gets built there is another concern that hasn't been mentioned here either.

I don't think you have a say in where the MR goes in any community, so we can say that about any community.  Pretty sure the builder paid MR in Baker Ranch hasn't gone to build a new school that the residents want. 

Offline sleepy5136

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 39
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 08:22:52 PM »
As blunt as it sounds, isn't that expected? If I pay close to 2% MR and homes there are generally around 1M+, I expect the amenities they already have and maybe more. The fact that I have no say as a homeowner on what gets built there is another concern that hasn't been mentioned here either.

I don't think you have a say in where the MR goes in any community, so we can say that about any community.  Pretty sure the builder paid MR in Baker Ranch hasn't gone to build a new school that the residents want.
You pay HOA...

Offline moc

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 47
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 08:32:09 PM »

You pay HOA...

HOA and MR are completely separate. I'm think MR go to the City and HOA goes to your homeowner association.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals by momopi
[Today at 09:36:50 AM]

Re: Stock picks by momopi
[Today at 09:30:21 AM]

Re: Anyone have any suggestions for a water softener and reverse osmosis? by zovall
[Today at 09:28:37 AM]

Re: coronavirus by morekaos
[Today at 08:46:03 AM]

Re: coronavirus by nosuchreality
[Today at 08:22:14 AM]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal