Issue with neigbor/HOA

dogbyte

I have an ongoing issue regarding excessive water runoff into the street gutter in front of my house. The water is coming from a drainage pipe uphill from my house. I believe that the excessive drainage is due to overwatering by my neigbor.

I?ve complained to the HOA to ask my neighbor to reduce the water, but the HOA said that the neighbor claims he is only watering once every other day. The HOA manager said that the drainage pipe services multiple houses in that area, but his house is closest to that drainage pipe.

They?ve apparently visited other homes and backyards in the area and found no culprit. They finally got consent from my neighbor who I believe is the culprit to visit and investigate. However, on the day they visited, the excessive water runoff stopped. There has been excessive water runoff for the past 2 years. I think the neighbor just reduced the watering before the visit and just resumed their normal watering as the excessive runoff returned a few days later.

I guess my question is what can I do? The HOA wants concrete proof before taking action, but I?m not sure what is concrete proof.

dogbyte said:
I have an ongoing issue regarding excessive water runoff into the street gutter in front of my house. The water is coming from a drainage pipe uphill from my house. I believe that the excessive drainage is due to overwatering by my neigbor.

I?ve complained to the HOA to ask my neighbor to reduce the water, but the HOA said that the neighbor claims he is only watering once every other day. The HOA manager said that the drainage pipe services multiple houses in that area, but his house is closest to that drainage pipe.

They?ve apparently visited other homes and backyards in the area and found no culprit. They finally got consent from my neighbor who I believe is the culprit to visit and investigate. However, on the day they visited, the excessive water runoff stopped. There has been excessive water runoff for the past 2 years. I think the neighbor just reduced the watering before the visit and just resumed their normal watering as the excessive runoff returned a few days later.

I guess my question is what can I do? The HOA wants concrete proof before taking action, but I?m not sure what is concrete proof.

Call IRWD and file a complaint.

There is an excessive amount of water in the gutter and the runoff is 24/7. It eventually becomes muddy after accumulating dust, grass cuttings and whatever else. As that stuff accumulates, the drainage also slows down. It?s mainly a cosmetic issue.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact the IRWD. I had contacted them months ago, but they never got back to me. I called and spoke to somebody in person and they sent someone over to investigate. The guy said there?s most likely a leak from the irrigation system. It?s actually not from the neighbor, but the irrigation system for the neighborhood as the water runoff is recycled water. The guy told me the homes have potable water, but the HOA uses recycled water for their irrigation since it?s cheaper.

Back