Lazy crane operators making $250,000 a year exacerbating port crisis

Everyone has a finger to point with? ;D ;D >:D

I'm a California dock worker facing record cargo-ship backlogs. It'll be catastrophic if things get worse.

The shipping companies blame us for not covering skilled-labor jobs, but they're the ones that approve training for those types of jobs. Then we turn around and blame COVID-19 for the influx of online orders. Consumers see the ships backed up and say we're not unloading fast enough. Truckers complain about the lack of chassis at the port, which limits the number of containers that can be carried out of the yard. It's a total blame game.

https://www.businessinsider.com/california-longshoreman-describes-record-port-backlog-los-angeles-long-beach-2021-10

morekaos said:

I'm a California dock worker facing record cargo-ship backlogs. It'll be catastrophic if things get worse.

The shipping companies blame us for not covering skilled-labor jobs, but they're the ones that approve training for those types of jobs. Then we turn around and blame COVID-19 for the influx of online orders. Consumers see the ships backed up and say we're not unloading fast enough. Truckers complain about the lack of chassis at the port, which limits the number of containers that can be carried out of the yard. It's a total blame game.

https://www.businessinsider.com/california-longshoreman-describes-record-port-backlog-los-angeles-long-beach-2021-10

This is the one time I agree with you. You can't trust any of them. Everyone is pointing fingers at everybody else.

CalBears96 said:
morekaos said:

This is the one time I agree with you. You can't trust any of them. Everyone is pointing fingers at everybody else.

Buried on the Port of Los Angeles pages, you can find the actual monthly container numbers.

Now if in May they were able to load 1,012,000 TEU, but in June and July they only did 876K and 890K, and August 954K. You might want to say that but you?d be missing the bigger picture.

Imports are averaging 480K TEU.  While we have had one month spikes in the past, run rates in 2017, 2018, 2019 and earlier barely crested 400K if it even did.

So with the ?slow down? imports are still 20 higher not from last year, but from prior solid economic years.

So if we are not getting chips and LCDs and everything else we say we are not getting what exactly is in the 20% increase of containers? 

Back